• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's JUNGLE CRUISE starring Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt (2021)

32 posts in this topic

I had fun.  The jokes were so bad that they were good.

I felt like I was watching a remake of the Mummy and Pirates of the Caribbean mashed together :  British Heroine with wussy brother, Amulet that will eventually unlock something, lifting an ancient curse, even a "Library scene" where the Heroine has to balance on one of those rolling ladders.

Even though I had fun..... ultimately I can only give it a 7/10.  It was a little too long, a little too busy (the pacing was SO fast), the CG was..... weird.

Dwayne & Emily are really good.

My wife watched it with me and she didn't like it.

Edited by gadzukes

We took my teen daughter to this and it was actually pretty good.  It feels like a bunch of other movies mashed together but I felt it flowed pretty well.  I’d give it a B- and worth a watch for a family.

Jungle Cruise starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt kept its ship together at the box office over the weekend, and actually saw an uptick in Friday-to-Saturday grosses (when you back out Thursday previews of $2.7M) of +15% which puts the adventure film at $34.2M, an opening that’s not far from Johnson’s pre-pandemic event film Rampage ($35.7M)All in, add $27.6M in overseas box office and $30M+ in Disney+ Premier global spend and Jungle Cruise counts a first weekend’s worth of revenues of $91.8M.

Watched it with my kids this weekend.

The whole movie i kept saying "this is like a bad version of Indiana Jones", the action was also difficult to follow at times.

My 9 year old said it was "good", my 5 year old fell asleep during the movie.

So, i'd give it a 5/9?  entertaining, nothing special, and fun at times.

Interesting article that relates to the Black Widow release schedule situation

Jungle Cruise Wins Dwayne Johnson Another Box Office Crown, But There's Cause For Concern

When Black Widow was released in early July, the audience split between domestic cinemas and at-home viewing favored the former ($80 million vs. $60 million), but the numbers are now in for the latest Disney+ Premier Access title, and Jungle Cruise has performed basically evenly in both distribution models. As you can see, the studio is reporting that $34.2 million was brought in via ticket sales in North American theaters, and it has been announced that the film made approximately $30 million online. This suggests that movie-goers were a bit more inclined to watch Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt's theme park ride-inspired adventure in their living rooms/bedrooms compared to the latest title from the Marvel Cinematic Universe – and that may be an important thing to keep in mind as tracking continues in the weeks ahead.

Jungle_Cruise01.PNG.5a0a6ad22746cafc3671a09a6d0c9da3.PNG

What Disney needs to be concerned about is a massive second week drop-off, which is something we have seen a few times this summer (both Black Widow and Justin Lin's F9 fell 67 percent in their sophomore weekends, and last week we saw Malcolm D. Lee's Space Jam: A New Legacy fall 69 percent. The heavy suggestion to be taken from the day-and-date theatrical/streaming release titles is that anyone really excited to see the film in its opening weekend will head to the big screen, but that those willing to wait are going to opt for the more convenient option. If Jungle Cruise is already seeing about half of its audience already opting for the few clicks on a remote instead of a trip to the local cineplex, that may spell trouble in its next Friday-to-Sunday.

We'll also have to wait and how Jungle Cruise's performance in foreign markets winds up bolstering its box office performance. Disney is reporting that the movie has thus far made $27.6 million overseas... and it's hard not to notice that number is considerably smaller than the $40 million estimate by Deadline late last week. It should be noted that the movie did outpace the trade's conservative domestic prognostication (they predicted a $25 million start), but the actual sum total taken in from global theatrical release is still about $4 million short of what was expected.

At the end of the day will Disney be able to call Jungle Cruise a win? It's a bit hard to say. There have been expressed high hopes that this film would be a success on the level of fellow theme park ride adaptation Pirates Of The Caribbean, but there has long been question about whether or not that would even be possible. Having gone through production in 2018 with a $200 million-plus budget (according to The Hollywood Reporter), the movie was originally slated to be released in October 2019, but then it got shifted to 2020 and got caught up in the constantly evolving COVID-19 scheduled shuffle (and you can be sure that all of those delays have added to the marketing and publicity costs). Taking all that into consideration, and then looking at the $90 million total it made in the last three days, it certainly seems to have a long road ahead of it.