• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 1 sketch cover
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Likely high grade. That's the best I can say in the plastic, no back cover pics and with a white cover.

Cool sketch. Thanks for posting.

On 8/3/2021 at 8:04 PM, SellinMyCollection said:

Grendelbo, you bring up a GREAT question.  It is Marvel Sealed with COA.  Would opening this up be a bad thing?  I know CGC will do that but what will they do with the COA?  Dees in the sealed bag mean more than opened up.  Thanks for the feedback.

You know, I didn't even notice the seal. I'm sure you could open it and reseal it. I think I did that once with a Dynamic Forces edition.

How will CGC treat it? Someone else will know better but I don't think the COA will matter, you may not get it back it you were to submit the book for grading, and ultimately the book would receive a Qualified grade and label.

Edited by grendelbo

On 8/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, grendelbo said:

You know, I didn't even notice the seal. I'm sure you could open it and reseal it. I think I did that once with a Dynamic Forces edition.

How will CGC treat it? Someone else will know better but I don't think the COA will matter, you may not get it back it you were to submit the book for grading, and ultimately the book would receive a Qualified grade and label.

Why would this get a Qualified grade? It's a sketch cover in terms of the art style, not a literal sketch made on a blank cover, and isn't individually numbered on the book. Now, Dynamic Forces did also release 300 copies of this with a JR Sr. remarque in the big white box, plus another 1000 copies with a Stan Lee sig in the big white box, and any of those would get Qualified labels. But this shouldn't.

That said, I'd open this. I don't think anyone is really looking for sealed DF books in their original plastic. If you want this slabbed at some point, it'll have to come out (and don't send in the COA). But even if you don't, you need to be able to handle the book to evaluate its condition. Sometimes these sealed DF books have been moved around enough that they get some rubbed ink on the back cover; this tends to be a bigger problem with the ones that shipped in the very stiff sleeves rather than the standard-quality bags, but you never really know. Also, for this book in particular, there's what looks like impact damage to the bag at Spider-Man's left foot. Did that leave an impression in the paper beneath? If so, did it break color? No way to know as it stands. Is that a spine tick below his hand, sort of aligned with his top knee? Or just something wrong with the bag, or the lighting? From the back, it's clear the LR corner has a crunched board. There's no clear image of the LL front corner, and of course, we can't see the LR back at all. Is it okay? Did the corner get blunted by the impact that crunched the board? There's one way to find out...

I'll guesstimate this is a 9.4 book, assuming there's not anything seriously wrong with that bottom corner or the back cover. Could it be higher? Maybe, depending on whether any of the bag/board problems avoided causing defects (and then to say nothing about whether any such defects could be pressed out).