• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Comics publishing and its alignment with movies

19 posts in this topic

Almost a year ago, DC Comics — the publishing unit behind superheroes Batman, Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn — was hit with a brutal cut that saw one-third of the company ranks wiped out due to broad layoffs at its parent WarnerMedia. 

But the Burbank-based comics division, led by chief creative officer and publisher Jim Lee, has been in rebuilding mode, picking up the fallen stalactites of the Batcave and the shattered crystals of the Fortress of Solitude. Also scaled down last year was DC Universe, a streaming service hopeful, that morphed into a comic-only platform even as the DC brand became more of a foundation of fledgling service HBO Max.

Both Jim Lee and Cherry took a break from running their Arkham Asylum to speak with The Hollywood Reporter in a wide ranging conversation. The duo were upbeat and hopeful as they buzzed about inter-divisional synergy, pointing to a Suicide Squad story that promoted reading DC comics and comic retailers. It even had an Easter egg for longtime fans.

And the company is hard at work on DC FanDome 2.0, keeping at the forefront the idea that fandom in the 2020s is now worldwide and that most can’t make it to a convention center, even if there wasn’t a worldwide pandemic. Lee notes, “We have a lot of wind at our backs.”

A year ago things were pretty dire. How has the last year been?

• Lee: 2020 on all levels was a challenging year for everybody. A year out, we’re in a good spot. Part of what we’ve done in this year was think about the infrastructure and the resources we have and where we want to place our biggest bets in terms of the publishing business going forward. The world opening up a little bit, the fans responding to the content we launched earlier this year, Future State and Infinite Frontier, has made a big difference.
  • Cherry: As a major player in this industry, it’s really up to us to redefine what this means for the next generation of fans and to build the right type of organization that can future-proof itself to meet that fan demand. So the changes that we are making organizationally, and also with our content, is so that we can evolve this industry and meet fans where they are.

So what is future-proofing?

• Cherry: We talk a lot about the four Rs: Reach, Relevance, Responsibility, and Revenue. When we talk about Revenue, it’s not just to DC, it means to the comic books shops, the creators, and the folks who helped build this industry.
  • And our job is that we increase the reach as far as possible, not just North America and South America, but globally.
  • To be as relevant as possible to those fans, from all walks of life. This medium is so beautiful, we all grew up loving it and to me, there needs to be pop culture conversation about this art form and these stories. And, yes, that means we have great theatrical productions and animation that engage with the fans, but we believe that the cornerstone of this entire story is the comic form and the stories we’ve inherited.
  • And responsibility is a big one as well. We talk about being “fan first.” We do listen. We also listen not just the core but the casual fan, and want to have product to meet them both.
  • And that also means responsibility to the community, and the comic book shop owners. I spend time on weekends at comic books shops, that’s where I grew up. And if you know anything about cultural trends, it starts with a community that is strong and rich and vibrant. And it’s our job to keep it vibrant and expand it through new channels. Mobile, digital, and global are really important for the next generation of fans.
  • There are a lot of young fans who don’t have a history of going to comic book shops so how to meet them where they are? How do you build that bridge? It may be with content that is easiest to find, which is on their phone.

What do you make of those rumors that say the higher ups want to get rid of publishing or that they just don’t get it?

• Lee: Occasionally you will run across that article or tweet and I have to bite my tongue to not jump into the conversations. It’s the furthest thing from the truth. If anything, it’s the exact opposite. The comics that we publish, the core canon we establish in comics, is driving everything that we do across DC in media. We are constantly referring to the characters as we build DC beyond the publishing world. Having publishing is vital to our future. You can’t rest on our laurels and having an influx of new voices, new characters, new points of view is vital to keeping the industry healthy and representative of current times. It’s mission one for us to make sure that universe we create and champion is reflective of the fanbase that loves our characters. So yes, it is the cornerstone of everything we do.
  • Cherry: That is literally a statement in our documents.

How important is the globalization strategy to DC?

• Lee: It’s always been a priority but more so now because our fans are everywhere. These movies and productions have taken over pop culture the world over. But the focus of our universe is still very much North American-centric. So I think that there is a lot of work to be done and a lot of opportunity to be in done in diversifying, creating new concepts and characters, working with new creators we’ve never worked with before, bringing in a level of authenticity in their storytelling telling, tapping into other world cultures, and really making the universe as vibrant and relevant as it can be. It’s just a huge opportunity and we are at a juncture that we can actually make this happen. 

Since we get to hear off and on 'DC Comics is being sold off" - an interview to outline how key DC Comics is to the go-forward media company.

On 8/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, D84 said:

It was online missing the terms of "paradigm shift" and "corporate synergy" to be a perfect puff piece.

Even without the excitement of being a DC Comics or general comic book fan, I have to disagree.

The interview even went into the future of digital comic books (no they are not drastically replacing physical print), along with the future of creator-owned properties versus DC Comics owns all content.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

Even without the excitement of being a DC Comics or general comic book fan, I have to disagree.

The interview even went into the future of digital comic books (no they are not drastically replacing physical print), along with the future of creator-owned properties versus DC Comics owns all content.

I only read what was posted here and didn't click on the article because I thought you quoted the whole thing. My mistake.

Glad to see there was more and they have an actual plan.

Most of my collection is DC and I want them to do well. I'm still holding out hope DC is around long enough to deliver another Spectre series on the level of the Ostrander run in the 90s.

On 8/4/2021 at 1:47 PM, D84 said:

I only read what was posted here and didn't click on the article because I thought you quoted the whole thing. My mistake.

Glad to see there was more and they have an actual plan.

Most of my collection is DC and I want them to do well. I'm still holding out hope DC is around long enough to deliver another Spectre series on the level of the Ostrander run in the 90s.

I saw your legs kicking

MyMCURules.gif.6337c839e7c1adf53c2e5ebcf00c66e7.gif

:baiting:

On 8/4/2021 at 1:47 PM, D84 said:

+ 2.

That Ostrander run was phenomenal - and had - what, 3 glow-in-the-dark covers in the first 15 issues?

I sold off 90% of my childhood collection in 2014.

I kept my near-complete Valiant collection, that Spectre run (1-20 or so), most of Sandman and 3 long boxes of Batman.

On 8/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, D84 said:

I'm actually burnt out on the MCU. Need probably at least 2-3 years away from their formulaic movies.

I think what has tainted Phase IV for me out of the gate is the excessive toxic bragging about "MY MCU RULES". Over time, that kills the excitement to enjoy what you like.

I'm still looking forward to WHAT IF, Doctor Strange 2 and GotG Vol. 3. The others, not so much after experiencing WandaVision and Falcon/Winter Soldier. But there are probably some surprises mixed in.

So here is where I see the future of comic books.

Jim Lee is also a collector from what I hear and knows the desire to actually have something in hand.  I mean Liefeld is in the FB comic art group buying pieces from time to time and discussing his collection.  These guys know the industry but they also know the fan base.   

So... 

I do see print media disappearing in the format that you are all familiar with.  Here is what I see. 

1. Comics are solely released digitally 
  2. Digital comics contain digital commercials that release exclusive content from DC media
  3. The digital comic is a limited edition NFT so that people can only purchase a 'print run' of say 25,000 (or whatever number.)
  4. The comics can be collected and sold or traded to other members through the publisher's own 'exchange'   So if I miss the first appearance of John Smith in Batman Issue 1,227 I can offer to buy it from someone on DC's exchange.
  5. DC gets a percentage of the transaction fee. 
  6. Printed media consists of TPB collecting the material.

Steps 1-5 are basically already taking place in the sports card market with Topps. 

Is this concrete?  Obviously not.  Is this a possibility?  More than most realize.   Are some of these things going to happen.  I firmly believe this. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/4/2021 at 3:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think what has tainted Phase IV for me out of the gate is the excessive toxic bragging about "MY MCU RULES". Over time, that kills the excitement to enjoy what you like.

I'm still looking forward to WHAT IF, Doctor Strange 2 and GotG Vol. 3. The others, not so much after experiencing WandaVision and Falcon/Winter Soldier. But there are probably some surprises mixed in.

That's on you.  You pay attention to it.   Smile at them ignore them and relish the fact that you are not like them. lol 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/4/2021 at 5:12 PM, Buzzetta said:

That's on you.  You pay attention to it.   Smile at them ignore them and relish the fact that you are not like them. lol 

Ah. But here is where it isn't on me. It is a flaw in the fandom fanaticism.

So if everything that the MCU puts out is the greatest and bestest and nobody can beat it and let's go see it at the theater multiple times - the content starts to suffer because this safety bubble has been built around the content. So where we saw WandaVision start off strong and then go down from there - how would Marvel Studios come to recognize this? The show is being recommended for awards - even with that weak ending.

So cool on you passing the blame along. But the reality is these "MY MCU ALWAYS RULES" fans degrade the experience.

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/4/2021 at 5:37 PM, Bosco685 said:

Ah. But here is where it isn't on me. It is a flaw in the fandom fanaticism.

So if everything that the MCU puts out is the greatest and bestest and nobody can beat it and let's go see it at the theater multiple times - the content starts to suffer because this safety bubble has been built around the content. So where we saw WandaVision start off strong and then go down from there - how would Marvel Studios come to recognize this? The show is being recommended for awards - even with that weak ending.

So cool on you passing the blame along. But the reality is these "MY MCU ALWAYS RULES" fans degrade the experience.

I've seen it with Star Wars.  It never ends.  There is nothing that can be done. 

"Not my Star Wars" blah blah.

It's funny because this morning I was watching an online episode of First We Feast: Hot Ones... which I absolutely love and we should have a thread about that. 

Anyway... Kumail Nanjiani was on and in the course of the interview it was brought up that he had a X-Files podcast.  The question was not about the podcast but about his research.  Sean really asks the best questions. Sean basically asks him that while Kumail was reading old internet posts on the X-Files, where did the internet fandom go south?  Kumail said he actually could see and trace in his research the instances where everyone goes from being critical and respectful to, "You suck" and emojis being used and from there you see the toxicity of the internet fandom.

To a point, I really do not think that anything can be done about it.  It is what it is. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/4/2021 at 5:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

I've seen it with Star Wars.  It never ends.  There is nothing that can be done. 

"Not my Star Wars" blah blah.

It's funny because this morning I was watching an online episode of First We Feast: Hot Ones... which I absolutely love and we should have a thread about that. 

Anyway... Kumail Nanjiani was on and in the course of the interview it was brought up that he had a X-Files podcast.  The question was not about the podcast but about his research.  Sean really asks the best questions. Sean basically asks him that while Kumail was reading old internet posts on the X-Files, where did the internet fandom go south?  Kumail said he actually could see and trace in his research the instances where everyone goes from being critical and respectful to, "You suck" and emojis being used and from there you see the toxicity of the internet fandom.

To a point, I really do not think that anything can be done about it.  It is what it is. 

Oh there are definitely things way out of anyone's control. To include these fans going excessively to the same movie. To the point even the stars point it out as odd.

Captain_Marvel140.jpg.4bb581fed9a736743b59ee9553162f27.jpg

201X watching Endgame

doncheadle3.PNG.e9489a103400baacb00d0474b732cc0e.PNG

But when this behavior is celebrated as being a 'true fan', and others try to replicate such behavior, it only gets worse from there. Which is not just a Marvel Studios thing when franchise fans attack other movies, TV shows, directors and talent. To include those that attempt to encourage followers to be even more toxic because they are not getting their way.

MCU_Toxic01.PNG.eef1752ce254b46fd424ab8b5ff50645.PNG

Sometimes you have to Rorschach these folks.

Rorschah_No.gif.34d987dab188927667cdd8d0930beaea.gif

On 8/4/2021 at 5:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

Oh there are definitely things way out of anyone's control. To include these fans going excessively to the same movie. To the point even the stars point it out as odd.

Captain_Marvel140.jpg.4bb581fed9a736743b59ee9553162f27.jpg

201X watching Endgame

doncheadle3.PNG.e9489a103400baacb00d0474b732cc0e.PNG

But when this behavior is celebrated as being a 'true fan', and others try to replicate such behavior, it only gets worse from there. Which is not just a Marvel Studios thing when franchise fans attack other movies, TV shows, directors and talent. To include those that attempt to encourage followers to be even more toxic because they are not getting their way.

MCU_Toxic01.PNG.eef1752ce254b46fd424ab8b5ff50645.PNG

Sometimes you have to Rorschach these folks.

Rorschah_No.gif.34d987dab188927667cdd8d0930beaea.gif

Those are people looking for attention. 

Seeing the same movie 140 times is kind of perverse. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/4/2021 at 6:14 PM, media_junkie said:

Add the Spiderman 3 to that list and I'm with you.  

Since Doc Ock is already included, it has my interest. But with all the Multiverse rumors I don't want to get my hopes up.