• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spread 'em: spreadsheet layout design

23 posts in this topic

I've kept a spreadsheet of my collection for over 20 years now and I find it extremely useful.  Columns are:

Primary Artist (usually penciler), Inker, Description (usually comic issue or name of strip), Page # (or Date if strip art), Purchase Price, Purchased From, Purchase Date, Sold Price (if relevant), Sold To (if relevant), Sold Date (if relevant), Notes / Comments

I enter the artist names as Last Name, First Name and generally keep it sorted by artist name.

I've been color coding the rows as black (default) for art I currently own, green for art I've sold and red for art that I've purchased, but hasn't arrived yet. If creating the spreadsheet now, I'd probably just add another column with a drop-down for the status.

Excel gives you a lot of flexibility when analyzing the data.  For example, I keep a yearly summary in a different tab of total purchase amount, total sold amount and net expenditure for the year.  This also makes it easy to sort by purchase date when trying to choose relevant pieces for the Best of Year/Fave 5. 

Edited by Ted_L

On 8/15/2021 at 12:13 PM, vodou said:

Me too; I can understand why many don't though...future divorce risk 'n all ;) 

Yeah thankfully my marriage is very solid, but after a friend's recent divorce I was thinking about what a disaster it would be to try and value and split the art acquired during the marriage. Hopefully I'll never have to deal with that!