• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 129 - crack and regrade?
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Was wondering if this might be worth cracking and resubmitting.  What are your thoughts on grade?  If you were told “cream to off-white pages” how would that affect your grade assessment?

thanks for suggesting this, Loren!

6C7D8E5B-DBF3-41F0-ADCF-BAC3200FA280.jpeg

067F1340-0B16-45DC-8098-331D1C945661.jpeg

A53F14FF-ECB7-4365-AAC5-0760D62F7460.jpeg

A4054AC8-5AB7-4B2A-BEF8-3C88F9CEF99E.jpeg

5D8D54AB-5F88-49EE-88B9-FAE22582F687.jpeg

D8C87547-8DFB-4413-B946-A6FDE4B35D53.jpeg

8B291BC4-349E-4AC5-837E-264F64436A60.jpeg

4FF960A2-6922-44E6-8FBE-EC8A9E5F0156.jpeg

C340ECF5-FC0A-4789-BF68-49DCF45476D3.jpeg

8454B8A4-E4D6-497F-88B9-4BE914BDAD50.jpeg

On 8/23/2021 at 8:51 AM, Funnybooks said:

Welcome.

It would help inform us if you had the graders notes and revealed the grade of the book. :foryou: It's difficult to "grade" a book based on pics of the wraps alone through a case.

Agree 100%.  If you don't want opinions to be swayed so don't want to reveal the grade I understand but I think at least grader notes would be helpful.  Also, key question for me would be whether the book was cleaned and pressed already or no?

On 8/23/2021 at 8:51 AM, Funnybooks said:

Welcome.

It would help inform us if you had the graders notes and revealed the grade of the book. :foryou: It's difficult to "grade" a book based on pics of the wraps alone through a case.

On 8/23/2021 at 12:55 PM, grendelbo said:

I agree with the others.

CRM-OW page quality won't matter in a book 9.4 or less, particularly from the Bronze Age. No effect on the grade.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47jk60b3oxu8rhtxmvto

Point taken.  I would like to hold the grade back until you offer your thoughts so I don’t sway anyone but here’s the graders notes:

crease bottom of front cover
light spine stress lines to cover
stain left top of front cover
stain right top of front cover

I really can’t see these stains that are referenced but maybe one of you has better eyes than me?

Edited by MLarocque
Extra detail to add

On 8/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, MLarocque said:

Point taken.  I would like to hold the grade back until you offer your thoughts so I don’t sway anyone but here’s the graders notes:

I really can’t see these stains that are referenced but maybe one of you has better eyes than me?

As far as the left top front cover, it looks like there is staining on the bottom of some of the letters in Marvel that extends down onto the A in Amazing?

On 8/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, MLarocque said:

The crease is difficult to see with the light yellow background..how wide is the crease?

Based on the notes and the pics I'll go out on a limb and guess this copy graded out at around

8.5 +/-

I missed answering a previous question:  the book was submitted to CCS for pressing so I believe that comes with some cleaning as well.  No sure how much.  To answer the last comment:  I’m not sure how big the crease is cause I just don’t see it.  I’ll add a diffferent angle if that shot.

I will show the grade when I return tonight around midnight EST so anyone else that has a grade they want to suggest, last chance!

523AE913-52AE-4394-9656-3461ECC2A37A.jpeg

I don't see a crease either but it may be more visible raw

Without the crease, this copy appears closer to 9.0

The very evident stained areas will usually bring the grade down into vf range or less

Edited by Funnybooks

On 8/24/2021 at 10:15 PM, MLarocque said:

Well here is the result.  Agree?  Disagree?

701AABAA-2E1F-4528-ADCC-B159365784D7.jpeg

They hammer stains. Not surprising. It was going to be on that FN/VF cusp.

Thanks again for letting us take a look. (You should see the size of the stain on my copy.)

Yes, the stain around the A is obvious but I thought that more if a colour smudge from manufacturing but still a stain.  Granted.  There is a stain I have now found around the N in MAN that I’ve never seen before.  It’s slight but they don’t miss a thing (don’t know if it can be cleaned?).  Finally, the “crease bottom cover” is actually on Spider-Man‘s left eye.  No texture thanks to pressing but does break colour a little.  Again...I missed it.  Still feel the grade is a little harsh but still best $375 I’ve ever spent.   Thanks everyone for your thoughts.