• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE RETURN OF THE ROCKETEER (TBD)
2 2

9 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: Disney is reviving a cult classic favorite, The Rocketeer, with an all new Disney+ movie entitled The Return of the Rocketeer which David and Jessica Oyelowo are producing under their Yoruba Saxon banner. The project, written by Ed Ricourt, will also be a possible starring project for The Selma actor.

The original movie, released in 1991, was directed by Joe Johnston and adapted from the Dave Stevens graphic novel of the same name. In that film, which made close to $47M at the domestic B.O. and became a fan fave for the studio, a young pilot stumbles onto a prototype jetpack that allows him to become a high-flying masked hero.

The Return of the Rocketeer will have an all-new creative directive with Ricourt’s story focusing on a retired Tuskegee airman who takes up the mantle of the Rocketeer.

Dave Stevens' The Rocketeer will have a new comic adventure this April in celebration of his 40th anniversary - and he's going back to his roots!

To celebrate the character's 40th anniversary, The Rocketeer is making a comic comeback. This year, IDW Publishing will release The Rocketeer: The Great Race - a new miniseries. This series will contain a new adventure that will still be a period piece set before World War II.

According to IDW Publishing's press release, The Rocketeer: The Great Race will span four issues and have the creative team of Stephen Mooney and Len O'Grady. Each issue will also contain "an oral history featuring Dave Stevens's friends, family, and fellow artists, all culled together by Kelvin Mao, the director of the forthcoming documentary on the beloved artist!" The series brings back Cliff Secord and takes him back to his roots as a stunt pilot with a new high-flying adventure that will take the Rocketeer around the world.

the-rocketeer-2022-the-great-race-cover-2-variant.jpg.b8a5708471b677402203d0ee351c56c6.jpg

Speaking of ambition: Oyelowo and wife Jessica are producing the upcoming Disney Plus reboot of 1991’s “The Rocketeer,” the aptly titled “The Return of the Rocketeer.” It’s been rumored that Oyelowo will also take on the title role, but he’s not confirming anything just yet: “The new Rocketeer, he’s going to be an ex-Tuskegee airman. So, you know, he is going to be Black. Look, I am an ex-Tuskegee Airman as an actor, having been in ‘Red Tails,’ so you know I would be lying if I didn’t say that I’m curious to see what me plus that equals. But we’ve got to get the -script right first, and then go from there.”Speaking of ambition: Oyelowo and wife Jessica are producing the upcoming Disney Plus reboot of 1991’s “The Rocketeer,” the aptly titled “The Return of the Rocketeer.” It’s been rumored that Oyelowo will also take on the title role, but he’s not confirming anything just yet: “The new Rocketeer, he’s going to be an ex-Tuskegee airman. So, you know, he is going to be Black. Look, I am an ex-Tuskegee Airman as an actor, having been in ‘Red Tails,’ so you know I would be lying if I didn’t say that I’m curious to see what me plus that equals. But we’ve got to get the -script right first, and then go from there.”

Disney+ ‘Rocketeer’ Reboot Lands ‘Sylvie’s Love’ Writer Eugene Ashe (Exclusive)

“Sylvie’s Love” filmmaker Eugene Ashe has been tapped to write “The Rocketeer” reboot at Disney+, The Wrap has exclusively learned.

David Oyelowo is attached to star and produce the project. The project is part of his and his wife’s two-year first-look deal with Disney. 

In 2020, Ashe broke out with his second feature film, “Sylvie’s Love,” which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. “Sylvie’s Love” is a period romance set in the early 1960s and tells the story of a young Black woman who falls in love with a Jewish man. The film was a critical success and was praised for its visuals, its authentic portrayal of the era, and its heartwarming story.