• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 149
3 3

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I would love to hear your grade opinions for this Amazing Spider-Man #149. Comic book has all the pages, and all pages and cover are attached at both staples. Please note the flaws, including water stain (is a wavy area) in the top left corner of front cover, small piece missing from edge of page 11 (right side edge), and there are small dark stains (possibly water stains?) on right side of back cover of #149 (fourth photo). The water stains are only on the front cover and back cover and not in the inside pages.

Thanks for your opinions!

149 cover.jpg

page 11.jpg

149 page 22.jpg

149 back.jpg

Edited by phineas_horton
revised description

Thanks for your grading opinions everyone. I did some research and it looks like water stain will limit a book's grade to 4.0 max. So it's a 3.5 and not a 4.0 because of the additional defects of the small piece missing from page 11 and the stains on the back cover?

Edited by phineas_horton

On 9/2/2021 at 9:00 PM, phineas_horton said:

So it's a 3.5 and not a 4.0 because of the additional defects of the small piece missing from page 11 and the stains on the back cover?

We have informed opinions but only CGC will say. 

The deduction in grade for a water stain or other soiling will depend on it's size, severity and location. It won't automatically be VG. I've seen 9.0s with small stains but I don't think higher.

In your book's case the stain/water damage wasn't the only moderate defect. You had an accumulation of them and the presentability if the book fits CGC criteria -

VG

4.0 A below-average collectible with multiple moderate defects.

VG-
3.5 A below-average collectible with several major defects or an accumulation of multiple moderate defects.

This issue is in this VG range. Where it lands or who's right is a coin toss. A good C&P could even get it to VG+/4.5. Only CGC knows.  Additional defects won't necessarily deduct the book further. They're acceptable in this grade range and in their severity.

IMO. Thanks again for posting.