• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Larson Bats 1 (1940) on Goldin Auctions
2 2

32 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if this book has ever been offered before?  I could not find any prior listings.  Curious to know if we know anything about any history of the book or provenance.  I can't afford to bid but I'm curious!

On 9/3/2021 at 10:23 PM, atomised said:

Does anyone know if this book has ever been offered before?  I could not find any prior listings.  Curious to know if we know anything about any history of the book or provenance.  I can't afford to bid but I'm curious!

I think what you meant to say was that you CAN afford to BID...you just CAN'T afford to WIN  :bigsmile:

On 9/4/2021 at 9:09 AM, Chicago Boy said:

They really don't know how to promote it though IMO

I haven't looked yet, but I will go take a look. If so, that blows to be the seller :pullhair: However, it could mean a "good deal" for any potential buyers. :wishluck:  I hope someone here wins it! (thumbsu

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 9/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Gorgeous copy, regardless of who's auctioning it! That will certainly draw attention to their auction! 

Does the top staple look rusty?  I can't make out the bottom staple though.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:38 AM, Professor K said:

I wonder why the owner would choose to sell it there. 

My guess: no fees or premiums.  This ilooks like a loss leader auction designed to get the name out.  It is working because Every CGC member is getting emails and we are talking about it.  The book will get its price.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:08 PM, sfcityduck said:

My guess: no fees or premiums.  This ilooks like a loss leader auction designed to get the name out.  It is working because Every CGC member is getting emails and we are talking about it.  The book will get its price.

That's what I was thinking. Either no fee or darn near no fee for the reason you said. I still believe the owner of the book is taking a risk. It's at 660,00 with 14 days left and that seems pretty solid but at the end of the day I gotta think it will sell for at least 10% more on HA or CC.  But I'm sure the owner has their reasons to choose Goldin and youre right it will get its price either way I suppose. Its an 8.0 Bat 1 for crying out loud.

As we know the last Bat 1 8.0 sold for just over 1 million on CC in April. I use gocollect and they have no listing of this current 8.0 selling for 850,000 in February. I don't know how they could have missed that. 

I hate using the phrase "if I had the money" but if I had the money this would be the Bat 1 I would go after. Love those Larsons and this one looks real nice. 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:17 PM, Professor K said:

That's what I was thinking. Either no fee or darn near no fee for the reason you said. I still believe the owner of the book is taking a risk. It's at 660,00 with 14 days left and that seems pretty solid but at the end of the day I gotta think it will sell for at least 10% more on HA or CC.  But I'm sure the owner has their reasons to choose Goldin and youre right it will get its price either way I suppose. Its an 8.0 Bat 1 for crying out loud.

As we know the last Bat 1 8.0 sold for just over 1 million on CC in April. I use gocollect and they have no listing of this current 8.0 selling for 850,000 in February. I don't know how they could have missed that. 

I hate using the phrase "if I had the money" but if I had the money this would be the Bat 1 I would go after. Love those Larsons and this one looks real nice. 

Another thread here talks about the owner of the Larson book getting guaranteed payout by Goldin as a minimum.   That makes perfect sense to me.  No other reason to go with a new entity in terms of comics