• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Marvels
2 2

8 posts in this topic

My first ever colour Marvel was Tomb of Dracula 11, followed by Cap 165. I'd become aware of Marvel as I already had the UK Mighty World of Marvel number 2. Tod11 and Cap165 were bought for me while we still lived in Worcester, then shortly after we moved to the south coast and DD107 was bought in Hastings, from a wonderful seafront newsagent, with all the seaside trappings (buckets and spades etc,) you can imagine brought joy to the eyes of a nine year old. The shop's still there but sells carpets now I think! (It's all about the nostalgia for me so these details are all part of why these comics are so important.) 

After DD107 I think I was allowed to write off for a mail order catalogue (send 50 pence for 5 random marvels and the seller's mail order list.) That was it, I was hooked. 

I have since bought high grade cents copies of all three of these. The house ads got me hooked as much as anything. ToD11 has half page house ads for Foom & Vampire Tales plus a full page Tales of the Zombie. Cap165 has house ads for Foom, Brother Voodoo (where they the issue of ST as being 167 not 169,) and Savage Tales, with the fantastic Barry Smith iconic image of Conan. It also caries the news that Bill Everett had died. DD107 has the fabulous back cover advert for Evel Knievel. All of which whetted my appetite. How could I get my hands on Savage Tales, or Tales of the Zombie? That came later, when I found out that some newsagents in Eastbourne had spinner racks full of the B&W magazines as well as the colour comics. I just didn't have enough pocket money to buy them all.

TombOfDracula11.thumb.jpg.28b82addc7d4dc8b71b775026a8c9c97.jpgCaptainAmerica165.thumb.jpg.85e1ae4604ba8ab6d1853ff89b1ee30c.jpgDaredevil107.thumb.jpg.751c57b39c83c1431f1adbbf3c0fd2d5.jpg

Nice, I do like a bit of Princess Python too. You certainly kept that in nice condition. It wasn't long after these three that I started to look after them better, but when you only have a few exciting comics, they get well thumbed! The wear is shared now over ahem, quite a few more...

On 9/4/2021 at 2:26 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Some house ads that got me going! See how they got the issue number wrong for Brother Voodoo? 

scan0119.thumb.jpg.f2dc9145fadea03f8a381a80b9928bbe.jpg

scan0121.thumb.jpg.377bbd006deb3298e2a57db209feee00.jpgscan0120.jpg

When I was in first grade and living in Japan, I had a good friend named Butch Jasper. Fast forward about ten years and I pick up a year old Marvel that has a letter written by  a Butch Jasper.  It has his address so first I look up his name in the phone book but it's not there.  So I wrote him a letter and anxiously awaited his response. It never came.  I sent him a Christmas card that year but I never knew if it was the right person or if he ever got it.

On 9/4/2021 at 5:38 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Nice, I do like a bit of Princess Python too. 

This character would be perfect for the MCU; Girl-Power and CG snakes. Perfect for a Man-Thing villain (being in a snake-infested swamp), and maybe they can get her on a plane with Nick Fury (Jackson).

Avengers 120 for me. 6p from the bus station paper shop.

A nothing special issue in terms of content, Avengers vs Zodiac, nice Jim Starlin cover,  Bob Brown and Don Heck artwork, but significant enough for me to get a UHG raw copy from Roy a few years back.

I don’t have any of my original 70s comics now.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/4/2021 at 7:42 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Avengers 120 for me. 6p from the bus station paper shop...

Just the words "bus station paper shop" evokes in me a strong image and feeling. Possibly grey and grimy on the outside,the doorway dark but inside all laid out, overlapping along a low shelf, just the marvel logos visible in their greens, reds, blues and yellows,untold excitement waiting to be discovered!