• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's DEAD BOY DETECTIVES series (TBD)

28 posts in this topic

Is this going to be very "young adult?" My wife will not watch anything with me if she thinks it is geared toward audiences under 20.

Dead Boy Detectives Showrunners On Building A Story Within The Sandman Universe

SUMMARY

•  Dead Boy Detectives expands The Sandman universe on Netflix, featuring two deceased teenage detectives solving supernatural cases.
  •  Co-showrunners Yockey and Schwartz discuss the show's connection to The Sandman and potential crossovers in the future.
  •  The series balances supernatural cases with romance, portraying a bittersweet tone in the storytelling of the dead boy detectives.

Dead Boy Detectives co-showrunners Steve Yockey and Beth Schwartz tease the expansion of The Sandman universe on Netflix. The story of Edwin Paine and Charles Rowland is about to come to life as Netflix's Dead Boy Detectives will be fleshing out Neil Gaiman's The Sandman universe on the popular streaming platform. Initially conceived as a Max original, Dead Boy Detectives ended up landing on Netflix, allowing itself to now connect to The Sandman.

Starring George Rexstrew as Edwin and Jayden Revri as Charles, Dead Boy Detectives chronicles the adventures of two deceased teenagers who are doing everything in their power to avoid being collected by Death. As they have lived on as ghosts for decades, Edwin and Charles run the Dead Boy Detectives agency, as they aid the world with solving supernatural cases. The Netflix drama also stars Kassius Nelson as Crystal Palace, Yuyu Kitamura as Niko, Briana Cuoco as Jenny the Butcher, and Jenn Lyon as Esther.

Screen Rant: I have been excited for Dead Boy Detectives since they appeared in Doom Patrol, so it's great to finally have a fleshed-out version of them. For you, what was the biggest shift you had to make or what was the biggest challenge translating them to The Sandman universe where they weren't born?

Steve Yockey: I don't really think there was, I mean, obviously we had to recast because of the time that passed, and perhaps you noticed that those actors have all blown up on different things now. But we found this amazing young cast, and beyond that, there really wasn't much because the plan was always, they'll be platformed on Doom Patrol, and then we will create our own show that will sort of be its own thing.

And then in moving to Netflix, we were allowed to marry into the Sandman universe in a really beautiful way. Neil and Allan [Heinberg, showrunner for The Sandman] have been so incredibly open and supportive, like, 'Please use this character!' We're like, [gasps] it's an embarrassment of riches. No challenges, each time the show moves or hits a little roadblock, it ends up better for it, so that's a nice place to be.

For years, Dead Boy Detectives was in development hell. It started its journey as an HBO Max show before ultimately finding a home at Netflix, where it was able to become something more — a series set within the same continuity as The Sandman. 

Another aspect I liked was the animated backstories. There’s only two; one for Mick (Michael Beach) and one for Esther. The unique and creative animation styles wonderfully fit the tales they told.

4.0/5 overall

Three episodes in, and I really enjoy the lighthearted mystery/drama. And with the mild connection to the Sandman show let's it be its own production.

I pretty much gave up when the skirt wearing Cat King, in return for escaping punishment, gave Edwin 2 choices. Homosexual intercourse, or to count all the cats in a city.

God bless 'The Message'

Pretty sure if the Cat King was a chubby 50 yr old hetero white guy and Edwin was a 20 yr old girl, there would be outrage.

Even my son, who has as gay as they get, is fed up with Every Single Show declaring their sexual orientation within minutes. 

My Bingo card was getting full with only disabled people and conjoined twins left to tick off.

Nobody cares if someones gay anymore, so why make a song and dance about it?