• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor #165 — cover issue
3 3

12 posts in this topic

It's definitely color fade from a heavy light exposure, likely the sun. You can see the outline of the book that was stacked on top of it.

Full pics get you a grade estimate in this forum.

On 9/7/2021 at 8:17 AM, Amazeron said:

I’m stuck on this one. 3.5 estimate from the color fade.

I picked this up for $1 from Half Price Books probably 30 years ago. Bagged and boarded it, so never really looked at it that closely until now. I’ve not come across such color loss before, and this seemed a bit extreme.

I'd call the book 7.0/7.5 without the fade. It's a severe defect but it only covers 1/3 of the front cover. I've seen a book with moderate fade on the entire cover get a 5.0. There's no consensus out there on this defect and I think CGC isn't a tough on this as you'd expect.

The only way to know is for CGC to grade it. Thanks for posting.

It's a tough one for sure. Seen books like this offered a qualified grade when on sale, which I dislike but if the description is full it should include what grade it is and what grade it would be without the defect. Looks like an easy 7.0 without the fade and it could take a full 2 point hit for its current grade IMO.