• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book(s) on comics should a newbie read?

25 posts in this topic

On a trip to DC when I was a kid I picked up "A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics." What a great book - all the cool things you would want to read like the first Superman and Batman stories along with EC stuff, Pogo, and a bunch of other great things. I still have it on my bookshelf. cloud9.gif

Also worth mentioning - Comics Between The Panels by Duin and Richardson (Dark Horse). Great fun, informative, and an excellent primer for newcomers about writers, artists, and both the history of the medium and fandom.

COMICS BETWEEN THE PANELS is a must. It's such an entertaining read that I've gone through the whole book at least three or four times. The info on the Mile High Collection alone is worth the price of the book.

Also recommend Feiffer's GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES, and MEN OF TOMORROW by Gerard Jones(which can usually be found very cheaply on eBay).