• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the holy grail for Frank Miller fans!?!

25 posts in this topic

Great page! I have a page from this issue too; actually it's the first page of original comic art that I ever purchased.

It'll be interesting to see how high the one on ebay goes, as I've never known where to value mine (although it's not for sale).

I was wondering the same thing.... I would think a 168 page might be more desireable, but what do I know. hari?

For me pages from 168, 175,176, 181 and 191 would be more desirable.

Personally, my favorite issues are the Elektra issues, as that is the storyline that got me hooked and that I remember. Issues 168, 174-176 and 181 are the key Elektra issues (off the top of my head), so many of us put a premium on pages from those issues, especially if they have Elektra on them. I know Mandel is after many of the 174 issues, so those prices will be high if they ever came to market. And, I'd also be bidding strong for any nice Elektra or Bullseye pages.

Issue 158 is a special issue, though, as it's the first Miller DD. And, looking at the scan on ebay, I think most would agree that Miller was already doing great work! Pages from 158 have not been sold in many years, although I know of four or five in private collections (including mine and this one). It's hard to estimate where the price will go, but I would think not as high as a killer Elektra or Bullseye page.

Killer Elektra and/or Bullseye pages will be at or over 10K these days. God only knows what a page from the famous Elektra/Bullseye battle and death of Elektra sequence would cost (close to 20K?)! The last nice Elektra page to sell on ebay (was it one or two years ago now?) sold for about 7500 bucks, so 10K is a good estimate in today's market. I know I would value my two page end-sequence from the Elektra/Kirigi battle (issue 176) at 20K at this point (although it would take multiples of that for me to even consider letting them go.... so don't ask).

Miller made DD cool and brought in one of the best storylines in Marvel history, introducing Elektra and making Bullseye a really unique villain. It also catapulted Miller to stardom, soldified by his later work on Wolverine, then Ronin and finally Dark Knight.

Emilio,

I hope this isn't a shill, or a hijacked account. I wouldn't want to be bidding against the seller, or someone who's trying to run up prices on Miller stuff. Again, can anyone vouch for this bidder with any recent transactions or communications?

Hari

I doubt that is a shill bidder. I know the seller and he is totally legit. This piece will likely go through the roof.

Hi Stephen,

Yeah, the seller is totally legit (if reclusive!), but the bidder seems suspect. He could have his own motives for pushing the auction, or is just having fun. I guess I didn't mean shill; I meant thrill-bidder.

actually it's the first page of original comic art that I ever purchased.

You had great taste from the begining -

Thanks Mike! Actually, I was really into buying high grade comic books at the time, and never gave the art a second glance. But, then I happened across this interior page from DD 158, where Matt changes to DD and the battle begins! The panel sequencing is classic-Miller style. I was hooked on comic art after that!

miller-daredevil158p15.jpg

I agree. DD 158 was a landmark book. It was the beginning of one of the most significant runs in history and ushered in one of the most important creators ever. This was the run that got me back into comics when I was in high school after a few years of not buying. Sure Miller got better both at story telling and art as he went along in the later issues but this issue, especially in it's black and white form like Hari's scan, you can see Miller still heavily wearing his artistic influences (such as Gil Kane) on his sleeve.

Lambert