• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 278. Above avg collectible w/ major defect and some minor?
2 2

6 posts in this topic

So, first off thanks to all who participate here.  What an amazing resource.  I recently took out my box of comics that I've been holding on for 40+ years, and I'm slowly going thru and trying to decide which ones to send to CGC.  So far I picked out 30 to send in mostly ones that are highly collectible or have a chance at being 9+, but I'm learning that the 2-6 range is really hard to gauge just from reading the Overstreet book and watching Etna Nick videos especially when it comes to older more collectible comics. So here's one I'm debating sending to CGC.  Should I send it in?  Is it a candidate for pressing or restoration?  Do I ask questions like that directly to CGC?  I'm totally open to any and all advice, and of course, thanks to any who can help!  Joe in NY.

Edited by Joe Peck

Hi Joe. Based on the video, it's looking like about a 4.5 due to the creasing. Maybe a 5.0. 

BTW, I recommend you simply post hi-res pics or scans here, instead of a video.

Restoration is mostly frowned upon these days, and CGC does not perform it. (They do restoration removal.)

Pressing -- which is not considered restoration by most collectors -- helps when the creases don't break color. I don't think it would help for this book.

Joe, welcome to the boards!

I'd guess it's a 4.0, albeit a really nice one for the grade -- heavy upper right corner creasing, tear and chip top edge back cover. Neat book but I don't think it's a great candidate for any restoration or for slabbing in general.

On 10/15/2021 at 6:29 PM, Point Five said:

I'd guess it's a 4.0, albeit a really nice one for the grade -- heavy upper right corner creasing, tear and chip top edge back cover. Neat book but I don't think it's a great candidate for any restoration or for slabbing in general.

On 10/15/2021 at 6:29 PM, Point Five said:

That's exactly the input I was going for.  Initially, I had it in the do not send to CGC pile, but then I was wondering since it is older and pretty nice aside from the corner full of creases perhaps.  So awesome to have a resource like this forum.  Thanks guys!!