• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantastic Four 129
4 4

14 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2021 at 5:21 PM, adampasz said:

I think closer to a 5. 

Looks like there might be staining at the middle of the back cover (left side) and along the bottom of the book. Signs of possible water damage. Are the pages "wavy"?

Thank heavens - no wavy pages :)  Yeah, I guess it's easy to overlook your own "baby's" flaws.  Now the stain is glaring out at me.  Thanks!

FantasticFour.129.stain.jpg

On 10/15/2021 at 6:36 PM, Namtak said:

Few stains if not from them id say press but its solid 4.5 those stains lower back seems heavy thats why i say 4.5 and not 5 and rusty staples it seems too.

You're scaring me :) . . .  Just kidding.  Really appreciate the input.  Learning a LOT about things to look for.  Made me go look closer at the staples.  Definitely not rusty.  Thank heavens! 

Anyways, I was just reading the CCS info on pressing since it does have spine roll, and I saw they say they also "dry clean" as part of the process.  Looks to me like the stain and dirt on the back is on top of and not into the paper.  Might it be worthwhile to send this one in for a press and a clean?

Dry cleaning a comic to remove soiling and any unwanted substance is also considered a non-restorative process, and is included in the CCS pressing service when necessary.

staple.1.jpg

staple.2.jpg

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, Joe Peck said:

Your scaring me :) . . .  Just kidding.  Really appreciate the input.  Learning a LOT about things to look for.  Made me go look closer at the staples.  Definitely not rusty.  Thank heavens! 

Anyways, I was just reading the CCS info on pressing since it does have spine roll, and I saw they say they also "dry clean" as part of the process.  Looks to me like the stain on the back is on top of and not into the paper.  Might it be worthwhile to send this one in for a press and a clean?

staple.1.jpg

staple.2.jpg

Without big split tear on the spine a press is good especially on white covers ,less color break!good to know theres no rust on staple was hard to see lol i did  send a few books this year and some came up better but a few came up short on grade....its a learning curve.if expecting too high you might be disapointed,happened to me.but some id hoped to come back 9.4 and came back 9.8 so being a little hard on grading helps me in the end i always expect lower but hope higher lol

On 10/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, Joe Peck said:

You're scaring me :) . . .  Just kidding.  Really appreciate the input.  Learning a LOT about things to look for.  Made me go look closer at the staples.  Definitely not rusty.  Thank heavens! 

Anyways, I was just reading the CCS info on pressing since it does have spine roll, and I saw they say they also "dry clean" as part of the process.  Looks to me like the stain and dirt on the back is on top of and not into the paper.  Might it be worthwhile to send this one in for a press and a clean?

staple.1.jpg

staple.2.jpg

Would it be cost efficient for this issue? You may find a nice copy already slabbed cheaper that having this one cleaned,pressed & graded.

Part of a great FF run by the way! 

On 10/15/2021 at 3:56 PM, Joe Peck said:

since it does have spine roll

Just a note on terminology.  What I'm seeing on each of your books is not spine roll (which is caused by successively wrapping each page about the spine as you read the book) but a stacking curl or stacking wave (which is caused by storing a comic for a long period without a stiff backing board).  If the book is otherwise high grade, this defect may merit a grade deduction.  In most cases, a mild stacking wave can be eliminated via pressing (provided the pressing is done by a competent technician).  :foryou:

On 10/16/2021 at 12:16 PM, zzutak said:

Just a note on terminology.  What I'm seeing on each of your books is not spine roll (which is caused by successively wrapping each page about the spine as you read the book) but a stacking curl or stacking wave (which is caused by storing a comic for a long period without a stiff backing board).  If the book is otherwise high grade, this defect may merit a grade deduction.  In most cases, a mild stacking wave can be eliminated via pressing (provided the pressing is done by a competent technician).  :foryou:

Wow!  Thanks for that info.  Quick look through my Overstreet book and I don't see that term.  Is there a more modern source of terminology and grading techniques than the Overstreet book or is this something one learns here in CGC discussion groups?  Thanks again!