• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions from a new guy (probably a rehash).
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2021 at 9:34 AM, James J Johnson said:

If your aim is a flip for profit, CGC submit raw, sell it slabbed, you may be more successful if you establish a paid, or potential value baseline for submission. Successfully submitting for profit entails acquiring a set of skills whose scope transcends cost vs. profit alone; that is, being able to consistently recognize potentially favorable submission candidates for this end; but before other considerations, you may want to establish a value minimum, say $300, since even at that level, the cost of submission takes up a decent % of that value. Submission is great, but it's also overhead, and most looking for profit buying raw, selling slabbed always bear the cost of doing business in mind, which submission definitely is. 

The 12 to 13% ebay fees also can wreak havoc on a thin profit margin. Say you come ahead 100% on a flip, and that's a wildly optimistic outcome.. Buy raw for $100, submit, the submission going your way, and then selling the book for $200 on ebay. It would appear that you doubled your money. But now, you hvae to factor in submission cost and the ebay vig, whittling that $100 profit down to a negligible amount. 

The way to better offset those costs of doing business, submission + ebay or a consignment platform is by establishing a minimum $$ range of value for submission. This way, although the expenses remain the same, the numbers are larger, as is the less anemic amount of the bottom line. 

Of course, books that have a potential valuation of a few hundred for which you paid a buck or two; these will understandably will be good submission candidates, unless raw, they go for about the same as slabbed in the grade range. 

If you're paying retail or near retail rates for books in the current marketplace, IMO you will be best served by establishing a minimum $$$ baseline for submission to make it worthwhile, which for most, s typically in the $300 or more range. And that's only a small and basic component of the equation for successful flipping. The main element are the skills necessary to identify potential successful flips, raw to slabbed, and that also involves a good working knowledge of what a press can and can't do. 

Thanks for the advice.  Actually, I have now made 3 purchases to try to flip, but none met the $300 threshold.  I like the idea of setting a higher dollar threshold and trying for a larger gain.  To be honest though, it won't really be about the money as a few hundred dollars of income or loss is not truly meaningful.  It's more about the endeavor.  I mean trying to see if I can pick books that will have significantly more value slabbed than I paid raw.  So far I bought a Dazzler 1 for $150, an Invaders 1 for $96, and an Inhumans 1 for $60.  I'm, of course hoping they are 9.6 or 9.8s, but at the end of the day if I lose money on these three, it's really more about trying and learning so no harm no foul, but again thanks for the advice.  After I finish with these 3 I think I'll try your idea of a higher value raw next time. 

On 10/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, jimjum12 said:

I might resist removing the CGC 9.8 NOVA 1 if it's the 1976 version and buy yourself what we call a "reader" copy. A specimen in the 6.0 range would satisfy the urge to read it and will preserve your investment in the high grade copy. Removing a 9.8 may add small defects that will reduce it's condition. I rarely de-slab (remove) anything in 9.0 or better, depending on the value, of course. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Ha!  You read my mind.  I actually own a Nova 1 that is in Fine condition that I bought myself new as a young lad so the only reason to crack the slab is curiousness at what a 9.8 looks like up close.  Fortunately, I have most of 1-22 but they're all VG to VF and the same holds true for the other 3 slabs I bought: Ms. Marvel 1, Black Panther 1, and Black Lightning 1.  I own all as original purchases, but except for the Black Lightning which MIGHT be a 9 or higher, they're all F to VF.  So they're my "readers".  I'm definitely going to hold off on any more "big" purchases for a few months, but I did see in another thread where someone framed slabs 1-3 of a series, and I really liked the look of that so MAYBE I could go that route in the Spring if the "bug" is still there. We'll see :D 

Edited by Joe Peck