• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is advice on purchases frowned upon?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2021 at 7:32 PM, Joe Peck said:

Yeah, don't want anyones head to explode, because if you read all my posts which are a net of 3 days one will learn that I am genuinely crazy when it comes to my hobbies. However, now I'm thinking of taking that comic and this one as an "investment": https://www.ebay.com/itm/304186978908?hash=item46d2f4f25c:g:8DAAAOSwG9Jg2VCL

Any reason why you want Nova 1 as an investment?  I believe the MCU price is already baked in to this one.  To me, this would be speculative based on Nova’s reception.  Investment books to me are core silver age slabs like Spiderman, Hulk, ect.  Maybe TMNT also for a modern line. 

I’d want this Nova 1 below $1750 max to own it.  No reason to pay more than others did last week.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:02 AM, Zegeroth said:

Any reason why you want Nova 1 as an investment?  I believe the MCU price is already baked in to this one.  To me, this would be speculative based on Nova’s reception.  Investment books to me are core silver age slabs like Spiderman, Hulk, ect.  Maybe TMNT also for a modern line. 

I’d want this Nova 1 below $1750 max to own it.  No reason to pay more than others did last week.

As is so often the case on the internet words do not fully explain ones meaning.  I want this as an investment true, but really I just want it "because" :) but I do believe it will become more valuable over time.

However, that being said  . . .I'm new and I was going off GoCollect.com, Ebay, and MyComicBookShop.com. 

GoCollect shows

9/10 - $2150

7/19 - $1900

7/15 - $1560

5/29 - $2600

5/13 -$2300

5/11 $1900

and on Ebay the one I bought was the only CGC 9.8 presently available, and MyComicBookShop.com shows their cheapest CBCS 9.8 at $1700 (including the 3% commission) and the cheapest CGC 9.8 $2575.  Plus the graph for sales shown below tells me this is actively moving at the moment (although GoCollect shows FMV at $1650 as well), but most importantly I am very fortunate in that a few hundred dollars is really meaningless to me and I have decided I wanted this comic to restart my collecting and sadly or happily for sellers around here I am not a very patient man when it comes to getting things I decide I want.  The upside is my hyper focused personality tends to end up with nice results like my home aquarium shown below :)

Curious though as you are the second person to name the price level you did.  What website are you using to see that data?

. . .

Nova.1.CGC.9.8.jpg

2011.Zenith.jpg

Edited by Joe Peck

I would also add (and I could be very wrong on this account and it wouldn't be the first time in life I was wrong - just ask my wife :) ) as a new re-entrant to this hobby it is my perception that the recent inflationary push we are seeing across the economy and globe is pushing investments in material items higher, and CGC 9.8s seem to have gotten caught up in this trend.  It even made mention on CNBC (an old school cable channel for any young whipper-snappers who don't know :) ) So, I think I'm going to "collect" some key Bronze Age CGC 9.8s just because a) I have the financial resources to do so without worrying about losing money and b) I will be buying "investments" that I just like to have anyways . . . it's all a win - win for me.

As I refine my ideas day by day, my latest thought is to go for a handful of 9.8s in different series, but then buy a much larger group of raw lower quality of the same group to let nieces and nephews read and handle.

Edited by Joe Peck

Not frowned upon, per se, but you may want to post this in the newbie thread or comic general.  You might get more eyes and opinions on it.  🖖

Edited by Galen130

On 10/18/2021 at 4:50 AM, Joe Peck said:

As is so often the case on the internet words do not fully explain ones meaning.  I want this as an investment true, but really I just want it "because" :) but I do believe it will become more valuable over time.

However, that being said  . . .I'm new and I was going off GoCollect.com, Ebay, and MyComicBookShop.com. 

GoCollect shows

9/10 - $2150

7/19 - $1900

7/15 - $1560

5/29 - $2600

5/13 -$2300

5/11 $1900

and on Ebay the one I bought was the only CGC 9.8 presently available, and MyComicBookShop.com shows their cheapest CBCS 9.8 at $1700 (including the 3% commission) and the cheapest CGC 9.8 $2575.  Plus the graph for sales shown below tells me this is actively moving at the moment (although GoCollect shows FMV at $1650 as well), but most importantly I am very fortunate in that a few hundred dollars is really meaningless to me and I have decided I wanted this comic to restart my collecting and sadly or happily for sellers around here I am not a very patient man when it comes to getting things I decide I want.  The upside is my hyper focused personality tends to end up with nice results like my home aquarium shown below :)

Curious though as you are the second person to name the price level you did.  What website are you using to see that data?

. . .

Nova.1.CGC.9.8.jpg

2011.Zenith.jpg

I use gocollect.com and ebay past sales.      I looked a bit more on past sales and you are right. $1900 seems like where this book is.  It shot up in value (along with everything else) early this year and has remained stable at $1900 since July.  

Gocollect has been having issues lately, I’m about done with that site.  The new format is garbage and the values are off as you can see.

I’d caution you to be patient as this hobby is not completely liquid.  It is really good, but sales swing between 10-20%. Try comic conventions and haggle with them on the last day.  Buying there can save you 12% that the seller does not pay on ebay (your seller really accepted $1672 for this book).  Facebook marketplace is becoming an option too.  

I obviously agree with you that comic books are a great way to invest.  For me, the illiquidity prevents me from over trading and I get some really fun things while it appreciates.  I also clean and press books, which adds a bit of craftmanship to the hobby.  I pick up low quality keys at comic shops and flip them for 50-100% profit sometimes.

Bronze age should be solid.  Get you a nice star wars copy or first Thanos appearance.  For me, I think the silver age established icons are risk free.  An example is say Silver Surfer #4.  Finally, I believe 30 years from now, people will be drooling over the TMMT issues from the 80s.

On 10/18/2021 at 2:29 PM, Zegeroth said:

I use gocollect.com and ebay past sales.      I looked a bit more on past sales and you are right. $1900 seems like where this book is.  It shot up in value (along with everything else) early this year and has remained stable at $1900 since July.  

Gocollect has been having issues lately, I’m about done with that site.  The new format is garbage and the values are off as you can see.

I’d caution you to be patient as this hobby is not completely liquid.  It is really good, but sales swing between 10-20%. Try comic conventions and haggle with them on the last day.  Buying there can save you 12% that the seller does not pay on ebay (your seller really accepted $1672 for this book).  Facebook marketplace is becoming an option too.  

I obviously agree with you that comic books are a great way to invest.  For me, the illiquidity prevents me from over trading and I get some really fun things while it appreciates.  I also clean and press books, which adds a bit of craftmanship to the hobby.  I pick up low quality keys at comic shops and flip them for 50-100% profit sometimes.

Bronze age should be solid.  Get you a nice star wars copy or first Thanos appearance.  For me, I think the silver age established icons are risk free.  An example is say Silver Surfer #4.  Finally, I believe 30 years from now, people will be drooling over the TMMT issues from the 80s.

I think a lot of this is very good advice.  I will also say, and reasonable people may disagree, that MyComicShop's listings on eBay are an excellent way for me to gauge the actual price for a book because they are - on every book I've kept an eye on over an extended period - priced 10-30% over the actual value. So my thesis would be if you're buying at a price that MyComicShop lists at then you are overpaying signficantly.  And, as others have suggested, I think that is easily borne out by searching recent SOLD eBay listings.