• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's THE MUNSTERS movie directed by Rob Zombie (9/27/22)

81 posts in this topic

No way to replace he original in my mind.  I am big Munster guy - yes Munsters trumps Addams Family.  I suffered through one or two episodes of the "The Munsters Today," and I know there were a few other revamps that I never bothered with.  The best thing I like about the movie teaser is keeping the original theme.  Sometimes, you just need to let a classic rest.  

Please, "Nevermore, nevermore."

On 7/10/2022 at 6:06 AM, The Meta said:

Fred Gwynn was a unique actor, I cannot see anyone matching his cadence and mannerisms. RIP

He was so good wasn't he.  I discovered "Car 54" after the Munsters and his "Pet Sematary" small role was so memorable.  He also wrote children's books.  I read a few of them to my daughter when she a toddler.  

On 7/10/2022 at 7:13 AM, telerites said:

He was so good wasn't he.  I discovered "Car 54" after the Munsters and his "Pet Sematary" small role was so memorable.  He also wrote children's books.  I read a few of them to my daughter when she a toddler.  

I recognize him more from Pet Semetary and My Cousin Vinny, but I connected him immediately from the Munsters. I saw more of the Addams Family but equally enjoyed Munsters when I saw it.

Pet Semetary is one of the few horror films that actually scared me as a kid.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:06 AM, The Meta said:

Fred Gwynn was a unique actor, I cannot see anyone matching his cadence and mannerisms. RIP

My father-in-law worked in NYC, and would run into stars like Stallone and Fred Gwynne from time to time.

But with Gwynne, they hit it off due to appreciation of art. He was an amateur artist. Even made a piece for my father-in-law. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law received the art, and sold it. Such a shame.

On 7/10/2022 at 6:17 AM, The Meta said:

Pet Semetary is one of the few horror films that actually scared me as a kid.

So I am obviously older than you but believe it or not "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" scared me as a kid - yes a kid's movie because of this guy --- (side note, Benny Hill was in this movie)

The_Child_Catcher.jpg

On 7/10/2022 at 5:20 PM, telerites said:

So I am obviously older than you but believe it or not "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" scared me as a kid - yes a kid's movie because of this guy --- (side note, Benny Hill was in this movie)

The_Child_Catcher.jpg

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had nightmares over the Childcatcher!

I was pretty neutral about this movie, but after watching half of that trailer, I'd say the chances of me watching the movie, even on tv, are pretty low. I hope you enjoy it, but my fondest memories of The Munsters will be the slot machine with an exploitable bonus game.

Dated and irrelevant.

This guy looks like he would fit in to the visual scheme going on there, and would help to make it more interesting…

a6c21291523af04c-1200x675.jpg

On 7/13/2022 at 7:17 PM, The Meta said:

Everyone hates it

Of course I have to wait till I get home to see it so I can hate it too

The thrilling anticipation makes it worthwhile.

On 7/13/2022 at 2:17 PM, The Meta said:

Everyone hates it

Of course I have to wait till I get home to see it so I can hate it too

It looks like Rob Zombie tried to capture the original comedy of the show. But that is so hard to do and either make it your own, or attempt a different path.

In this case, for now, it comes across as cosplay playing out behavior from the original show. And doing their best to act out the legacy role characteristics. Oddly enough, the comments under the official trailer post makes me wonder how many are paid advertisements.

Munsters_Comments.thumb.PNG.b615ada64f1bcc2c24d5e0f11c36514e.PNG

On 7/13/2022 at 7:29 PM, Bosco685 said:

In this case, for now, it comes across as cosplay playing out behavior from the original show. And doing their best to act out the legacy role characteristics.

Pure nostalgia. But, that limits its appeal. In the trailer you feel you’re watching a retread of the TV series, and that it seems a bit of a pointless exercise, even over a couple of minutes. Not offering anything new and contemporary. I agree.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Sheri Moon Zombie :sick:

I had the idea once for a very short film called "Night of the Sheri Moon Zombies". The premise being that a virus of unknown origin would cause those who were bitten to turn into Sheri Moon Zombies. These SMZs would then chase you into your home, relentlessly bang on your walls and windows, all-the-while screaming obscenities until you slowly went insane. 

On 7/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, media_junkie said:

Wow that was bad.  Like I asked before, who is this movie for?  That was just 2 solid minutes of cringe.

We are not alone. Zaki is a professional movie reviewer, and he is even asking this question.