• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's THE MUNSTERS movie directed by Rob Zombie (9/27/22)

81 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2022 at 10:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

these people ought to get out of their basement and make a feature film themselves. show the Big-Boys how it's done. judging by the lighting/camerawork/blocking/set construction/sound design of this guy's "production," he guy couldn't direct his way out of a wet paper bag. He couldn't make a film unless he used his i-phone 14 and it told him how to do it. Scratch that, he couldn't even do that. This insufficiently_thoughtful_person couldn't load a 16mm camera, couldn't use a a Panavison Red. All he can do is hit record on his phone. He can't do anything that requires skill, hard work, training and craft. The best this mental midget can do is watch the other kids play in the playground then go home to his mom's basement and critique them. 

And furthermore, why would you go to a movie that you know is "going to be trash?" Hey, I'm going to go spend my money and eat at a restaurant that serves terrible food (even tho I've eaten there a hundred times and it's always SUCKED) and then complain about how terrible the food is. I'll do it on the internet because the internet is easy and I can't do hard. Hard is, you know, hard. I'll desperately collect "likes" on the internet because that's the currency of popularity now. It's just too hard to become good at something (like film making). I'll use someone else's hard work and GET "LIKES!"

This guy is so f-ing lazy he doesn't realise how hard it is to become good at something.

Want to know why Hollywood keeps making trash films? Because you lug nuts will go and spend your money regardless. Why bother making something good, you know.

Edited by NoMan

On 9/26/2022 at 2:01 PM, NoMan said:

these people ought to get out of their basement and make a feature film themselves. show the Big-Boys how it's done. judging by the lighting/camerawork/blocking/set construction/sound design of this guy's "production," he guy couldn't direct his way out of a wet paper bag. He couldn't make a film unless he used his i-phone 14 and it told him how to do it. Scratch that, he couldn't even do that. This insufficiently_thoughtful_person couldn't load a 16mm camera, couldn't use a a Panavison Red. All he can do is hit record on his phone. He can't do anything that requires skill, hard work, training and craft. The best this mental midget can do is watch the other kids play in the playground then go home to his mom's basement and critique them. 

And furthermore, why would you go to a movie that you know is "going to be trash?" Hey, I'm going to go spend my money and eat at a restaurant that serves terrible food (even tho I've eaten there a hundred times and it's always SUCKED) and then complain about how terrible the food is. I'll do it on the internet because the internet is easy and I can't do hard. Hard is, you know, hard. I'll desperately collect "likes" on the internet because that's the currency of popularity now. It's just too hard to become good at something (like film making). I'll use someone else's hard work and GET "LIKES!"

This guy is so f-ing lazy he doesn't realise how hard it is to become good at something.

Want to know why Hollywood keeps making trash films? Because you lug nuts will go and spend your money regardless. Why bother making something good, you know.

It is good to see you defending the industry as remember when you were burned out on it and posted what a horrible environment it can be at times (many times from the sounds of your stories).

But taking a cherished brand and then throwing it into a movie that from any reviews sounds like they went the cheap route (if true) is a crazy step forward. Why not reintroduce such funny and entertaining characters the right way to a new audience now that decades have gone by?

On 9/26/2022 at 12:07 PM, Bosco685 said:

It is good to see you defending the industry as remember when you were burned out on it and posted what a horrible environment it can be at times (many times from the sounds of your stories).

But taking a cherished brand and then throwing it into a movie that from any reviews sounds like they went the cheap route (if true) is a crazy step forward. Why not reintroduce such funny and entertaining characters the right way to a new audience now that decades have gone by?

image.jpeg.631005377935bc57bd7a583af6ab52c6.jpeg

PLOT: The classic sitcom The Munsters is revived with a feature film origin story written and directed by Rob Zombie. We find out how Herman and Lily met and fell in love, and why the Munsters moved from Transylvania to Mockingbird Lane.

REVIEW: After getting his career off to a successful start with House of 1000 Corpses and its sequel The Devil’s Rejects, writer/director Rob Zombie had the chance to show he could do something different with the remake of Halloween… but he proceeded to pigeonhole himself by making Halloween just as trashy and vulgar as his first two movies. Since then, he has struggled to get other types of movies into production – he wanted to make a hockey movie, he wanted to make a Groucho Marx biopic – and had to resort to making more of the same with the likes of 31 and 3 from Hell. Now, Universal has given Zombie another chance to do something different, and he has taken it, delivering a colorful, PG-rated feature film revival of the classic sitcom The Munsters. Problem is, his version of The Munsters isn’t very good.

Zombie obviously has a love for the source material. He has said that he has watched every episode of the original version of The Munsters at least seventeen times, and his respect for the characters comes through in the movie. He wanted to make something that felt in line with the tone of the ‘60s sitcom, and accomplished that for the most part. Zombie’s The Munsters has a family friendly tone, and he did a commendable job of keeping the dialogue clean. His humorous dialogue just isn’t effectively amusing most of the time. And while the movie is safe for kids to watch, I can’t imagine kids not being bored out of their minds trying to sit through the movie’s 110 minute running time.

It’s doubtful anyone will be clamoring for a sequel, though. The movie is let down by its pacing and the dialogue that isn’t funny enough. Butch Patrick once said that it was going to be over two and a half hours long. It’s a good thing it was whittled down from the cut he was familiar with, because even in this shorter form The Munsters is going to be something that a lot of viewers will be enduring rather than enjoying.

RATING: 5.0/10

I didn't realize the actor playing Herman Munster was one of the original Geico Caveman (Jeff Daniel Phillips) actors who also was part of the short TV show.

I still want to see this. But so much of the feedback about this show sounds like original show fans being disappointed with Herman and Lily (Grandpa sounds like he was good).

OK, can't say I've seen any of Rob Zombie's previous movies so can't compare to that. It took me three starts and stops to finish it, my 11 year old daughter who I started to watch with lasted less than 15 minutes. 

Colorful, that's the positive. It just rambled and was a bit all over the place.