• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you grade these production flaws?
4 4

10 posts in this topic

So, just for learnings sake I am showing this comic.  Today I learned about printer creases and  lo and behold I found two of my comics that had them.  One has a small one, but this one runs the full length of the front cover.  Ignoring any other flaws that can be seen I'm curious how much to downgrade for the 2 production flaws evident on this comic. One is obviously the crease, but the other is the mis-wrap.  How much do you deduct for each?  Do you start at an 8.0 and go down or something along those lines.  Any thoughts much appreciated.  Also, whatever the answers are, I'd be equally curious where one learned the answers because clearly it's not the Overstreet book, but Etna Nick's 2nd tutorial on YouTube does discuss the issue, but I wonder where he learned.

MarvelTeamUp.57.jpg

MarvelTeamUp.57.back.jpg

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/19/2021 at 6:03 PM, Zegeroth said:

Production flaws do not affect the grade at all.

This book looks like a 7.0 with a crease on the lower right corner, spine creases, and edge wear.

A miswrap could, in theory, be 9.8?

I'm having a hard time finding what you've identified as a printer's crease in this image. I'm concerned that you've described it as "run[ning] the length of the front cover" (emphasis mine) because printer's creases are almost always horizontal, or nearly so. I've nearly convinced myself that the issue in question is near the right side of the book, passing through the tip of the title W and Silver Samurai's left elbow, terminating to the left of his left foot. If that's actually a crease and not the vagaries of imaging, then I'm pretty sure it's a defect and not a printer's crease, and the overall grade is going to be quite a bit lower than 7.0.

Looks like a reader's crease. Cover has been folded and the staples are in the back.

5.0-ish.

Thanks for sharing.