• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's THE SOPRANOS PREQUEL SERIES in the works (TBD)

4 posts in this topic

David Chase has talked up the possibility of returning to The Sopranos universe with a sequel to The Many Saints of Newark.

The creator of the hit James Gandolfini-fronted mob drama suggested, in an interview with Deadline, that it could be another feature film with Chase and Terence Winter writing together.

Now, it’s emerged that it could possibly even end up as a TV series for HBO Max.

Ann Sarnoff, CEO, Studios and Networks, WarnerMedia, told Deadline that the company was “thrilled” with the results of The Many Saints of Newark.

“We’re talking to David about a new series, Sopranos related, on HBO Max,” she said.

THR: The 2018 book The Sopranos Sessions was written by guys who wrote, at the time of the show, for the New Jersey Star-Ledger, the paper Tony always read, Matt Zoller Seitz and Alan Sepinwall. They interviewed you and asked you to talk about the June 10, 2007, series finale with of course, “Don’t Stop Believin'” and the famous cut to black. You said, “Well, I had that death scene in mind for years before.” A) Do you remember specifically when the ending first came to you? And, B) Was that a slip of the tongue?

DC: Right. Was it?

THR: I’m asking you.

DC: No.

THR: No?

DC: Because the scene I had in my mind was not that scene. Nor did I think of cutting to black. I had a scene in which Tony comes back from a meeting in New York in his car. At the beginning of every show, he came from New York into New Jersey, and the last scene could be him coming from New Jersey back into New York for a meeting at which he was going to be killed.

THR: And when did the alternative ending first occur to you? I’ve spoken with showrunners who said, “I knew at the beginning exactly how my show was going to end.” Or by season three or whatever. It sounds like when you were writing, you liked to stay six scripts ahead of where you were in the action.

DC: Yeah. But I think I had this notion — I was driving on Ocean Park Boulevard near the airport and I saw a little restaurant. It was kind of like a shack that served breakfast. And for some reason I thought, “Tony should get it in a place like that.” Why? I don’t know. That was, like, two years before.

THR: What did you make of the reaction to the finale? The whole episode was great, but people sort of fixated on …

DC: Yeah, nobody said anything about the episode. No, it was all about the ending.

THR: And was that annoying?

DC: I had no idea it would cause that much — I mean, I forget what was going on in Iraq or someplace; London had been bombed! Nobody was talking about that; they were talking about The Sopranos. It was kind of incredible to me. But I had no idea it would be that much of an uproar. And was it annoying? What was annoying was how many people wanted to see Tony killed. That bothered me.

MSoN reveled Chase is better at the rambling loosely plotted episodic character study than he is at writing a self-contained two hour film. I'd be way more interested in an actual prequel series than in another follow up movie. 

https://screenrant.com/sopranos-tony-death-comment-david-chase-response-denial/

During a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, David Chase made some comments regarding The Sopranos' final scene that many misinterpreted as him confirming Tony's death. Now, film journalist Matt Zoller Seitz caught up with Chase and offered him a chance to clarify those comments. Chase tells Seitz that he did not "settle" the end of The Sopranos nor did he confirm Tony's death. Chase also asked Seitz to release a quote, which can be seen in his post below and reads:

“Everybody who believes I said Tony is dead in a Hollywood Reporter article: works for me. Now you'll stop :censored:  asking me.”

Someone has a temper :mad: