• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tales to astonish 13 and Tales of suspense 12 at the same time ...
4 4

14 posts in this topic

Here is something for the expert .

I brought on ebay in the early 2000 a tales of astonish 13  when I got it I realized something was wrong the book inside was in fact the tales of suspense 12,  I live in Japan so the cost to sending back the book and all the drama associated to get something in exchange was more than the value of that book (at the time)  plus it displayed great and I could get one in the future (of course never did) I stopped to collect  comics around 2007 after the big earthquake in 2011 I moved all my comics in a more safe place  and kind of forgot about them until this summer when I decided  to check them  back (thanks to the lockdown) and buy the few stuff I missed I found that the movies made everything expensive good surprises and bad for the ones I didn't  buy.

I was about to feeling rich when I remember the "problem" ... still after a closer inspection (I think it was trimmed to look better)  I couldn't find  that the cover didn't fit with the comics inside and maybe it was a mistake from the start ?, wrong cover mistake made  at the printer?  since the tales of suspense 12 and Tales of astonish 13 were published the same month so probably printed at the same time ?

I can't find a reason to put the cover on that particular comics and do so much a good job to align the staples  and staples holes for the cover and the comics  seems a bit overkill and a lot of work I probably paid less than a hundred bucks for it  I couldn't trace back the seller but from my ebay feedback .

I really curious to find out it was an elaborate scam  or a real mistake and if it's a real thing ,it is something I should send to CGC ? or just display it raw.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Edited by bullmark

This may not be the proper thread.  We give comic book grade estimates here.  I suggest posting in Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues or Newbie Comic Book Collecting.  You’ll have different eyes there to help out. 🖖

Same wear appears on the cover and the interior pages at the bottom left corner. I would think the cover and pages have been together for a while. That could indicate a manufacturing error.

If it's legit (and you'd need a restoration expert), then CGC would call this a TTA 13, not TOS 12 - the cover would determine the copy's identify.

Oh yeah, 5.5/6.0.

Thanks for sharing.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:09 PM, bullmark said:

I really curious to find out it was an elaborate scam  or a real mistake.

In the old days, covers for several different titles were printed on a single sheet.  Then, the individual covers were separated and stapled to the corresponding interiors.  Since TOS #12 and TTA #13 were printed at the same time, it's entirely possible this is a simple manufacturing error.  I don't have an image for these specific titles, but here are a couple of shots that show what I'm talking about.  :foryou:

sheet-2.jpg.8270b618a6d2b099c144c1af2dbea507.jpgsheet.jpg.9bbd0af2571de3f3a6014598d38d595e.jpg

Edited by zzutak
Second Image Added

On 10/26/2021 at 4:06 PM, grendelbo said:

Same wear appears on the cover and the interior pages at the bottom left corner. I would think the cover and pages have been together for a while. That could indicate a manufacturing error.

If it's legit (and you'd need a restoration expert), then CGC would call this a TTA 13, not TOS 12 - the cover would determine the copy's identify.

Oh yeah, 5.5/6.0.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the infos I didn't know the cover dertermine the identity ,I really through it was the opposite but it makes more sense since the comics are encapsulated.

So I should send it first to some restoration expert, CGC won't or can't tell if it's a production error if I send it directly to them they will just grade it ?.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:07 PM, bullmark said:

So I should send it first to some restoration expert, CGC won't or can't tell if it's a production error if I send it directly to them they will just grade it ?.

CGC should be able to determine it.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:07 PM, bullmark said:

I didn't know the cover dertermine the identity ,I really through it was the opposite but it makes more sense since the comics are encapsulated.

I'm not sure if it does make sense but that's what CGC says.

It'll likely get a Green Qualified label with a notation like, TTA 13 - "Manufactured with TOS 12 interior pages."

On 10/27/2021 at 12:13 AM, grendelbo said:

CGC should be able to determine it.

I'm not sure if it does make sense but that's what CGC says.

well since you can't read or open the book I guess the cover is the most important part now ...  I stopped collecting before CGC became the standard so that logic is a bit weird to me.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, bullmark said:

well since you can't read or open the book I guess the cover is the most important part now ...  I stopped collecting before CGC became the standard so that logic is a bit weird to me.

very-weird-its-weird.gif.762c6d0d3018f19f54b9f08f6848ca4f.gif

On 10/26/2021 at 6:10 PM, zzutak said:

In the old days, covers for several different titles were printed on a single sheet.  Then, the individual covers were separated and stapled to the corresponding interiors.  Since TOS #12 and TTA #13 were printed at the same time, it's entirely possible this is a simple manufacturing error.  I don't have an image for these specific titles, but here are a couple of shots that show what I'm talking about.  :foryou:

sheet-2.jpg.8270b618a6d2b099c144c1af2dbea507.jpgsheet.jpg.9bbd0af2571de3f3a6014598d38d595e.jpg

I see why I couldn't take Zzutak name when I joined the site 

those sheets are nice ,it could explain the mixed up because I can't see why someone  will spend time to do that trick to sell a book on ebay ( I think paid less than a hundred bucks  that was my budget limit for those at the time )  I have a hard time to wrap my mind around such a cheap scam but so much well made .

Edited by bullmark