• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few Odds and Sodds available...All CGC Graded
4 4

82 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2021 at 10:14 AM, Math Teacher said:

Based on the title of your thread, you must be a fan of The Who!

hm never put that together. Its just one of the phrases ive picked up from our English boardies.

math teacher huh

I teach a little science from time to time myself :hi: 

On 10/27/2021 at 9:45 AM, arexcrooke said:

hm never put that together. Its just one of the phrases ive picked up from our English boardies.

math teacher huh

I teach a little science from time to time myself :hi: 

Odds & Sods was an album that was released by The Who in 1974, and it includes one of my all-time favorite Who songs, "Little Billy."

As to my math teaching career, it is pretty much over. I retired in May, 2018, after 38 years of teaching. I didn't retire because I didn't like working with students, but due to many other factors, such as administrators, professional development, and parental contact, just to name a few. I just substitute now. As I am sure you know, there is a lack of subs pretty much everywhere. I could sub every day of the week, and twice on Sundays, if I wanted to. This is now my fourth year of subbing, and at the beginning of 2020. I am not allowing myself to sub over four days a week. I break that rule every once in a while, but, I finally said to myself, "What's the point of being retired if you are working five days a week?"

You have some great books for sale. Best of luck!

Edited by Math Teacher

On 10/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, Math Teacher said:

Odds & Sods was an album that was released by The Who in 1974, and it includes one of my all-time favorite Who songs, "Little Billy."

As to my math teaching career, it is pretty much over. I retired in May, 2018, after 38 years of teaching. I didn't retire because I didn't like working with students, but due to many other factors, such as administrators, professional development, and parental contact, just to name a few. I just substitute now. As I am sure you know, there is a lack of subs pretty much everywhere. I could sub every day of the week, and twice on Sundays, if I wanted to. This is now my fourth year of subbing, and at the beginning of 2020. I am not allowing myself to sub over four days a week. I break that rule every once in a while, but, I finally said to myself, "What's the point of being retired if you are working five days a week?"

You have some great books for sale. Best of luck!

I like "The Who".  Wow!  Nice to know if you ever wanted back full time via substituting there would be no problem.  Nicer still..is you're retired! :golfclap:

On 10/27/2021 at 12:25 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Remaining OT, my local school district just raised the "pay" for subs to $230 a day and a $250 bonus if you're certified.  It's so bad, some Districts are waiving the Bachelor's Degree requirement for subs.

It is positively ridiculous that you have to have a bachelors degree to sub. 

Our county has an associates requirement and pays $100 a day. Yeah, and we wonder why we cant find subs.

On 10/27/2021 at 11:25 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Remaining OT, my local school district just raised the "pay" for subs to $230 a day and a $250 bonus if you're certified.  It's so bad, some Districts are waiving the Bachelor's Degree requirement for subs.

I sub for three schools. Two public schools, one that pays $165/day and the other one, which pays $150/day. I also occassionally sub at a parochial school, which pays $125/day. In a normal month, I make somewhere between $2,000 and $2,500 a month.

As for the Bachelor's degree comment, I agree 100%. When I am a sub, I am basically a glorified babysitter. Except when I sub for a math teacher, which allows me to stand at the front and just teach. When I sub for a math teacher, I get all the benefits of being teacher, with none of the drawbacks.

On 10/27/2021 at 11:45 AM, arexcrooke said:

It is positively ridiculous that you have to have a bachelors degree to sub. 

Our county has an associates requirement and pays $100 a day. Yeah, and we wonder why we cant find subs.

Don't forget the complete lack of discipline at most schools. There is one school that I will not longer sub for; the inmates are running the asylum in that school.

Here's a few examples that finally pushed me over the edge.

A student in a class tells me to, "F**k off." I send him to the office so they can deal with it. Fifteen minutes later, he returns to my class. After school, I track down one of the administrators and say, "This cannot happen. You can't allow a student to blatantly show disrespect for a teacher, especially a sub." The administrator's reply was, "I talked to him, and he said he won't do it again." :pullhair:

I was subbing for an English teacher, and the students were to take an online test during class time. Two students refuse to get off their phone.
ME: You know you have to take this test today, right?"
STUDENT: "Yea, I know."
ME: "You understand that you need to have your Chromebook out?"
ME: "Will you please get your Chromebook out and start on the test?"
STUDENT: "Nah, I don't feel like taking the test today." :pullhair:

I was subbing for a different teacher, and it was the last period of the day. Immediately after I have taken attendance, two boys get up and just walk out of the room. I am not stupid enough to chase after them. I asked a student, "Is this a regular occurrence at this school?" The student just nodded her head. :pullhair:

@arexcrooke, I am sorry for interrupting your thread. I will stop now.

If anyone wants to continue this type of discussion, perhaps it would be best if we went to the Water Cooler forum.

On 10/27/2021 at 1:21 PM, Math Teacher said:

Don't forget the complete lack of discipline at most schools. There is one school that I will not longer sub for; the inmates are running the asylum in that school.

Here's a few examples that finally pushed me over the edge.

A student in a class tells me to, "F**k off." I send him to the office so they can deal with it. Fifteen minutes later, he returns to my class. After school, I track down one of the administrators and say, "This cannot happen. You can't allow a student to blatantly show disrespect for a teacher, especially a sub." The administrator's reply was, "I talked to him, and he said he won't do it again." :pullhair:

I was subbing for an English teacher, and the students were to take an online test during class time. Two students refuse to get off their phone.
ME: You know you have to take this test today, right?"
ME: "You understand that you need to have your Chromebook out?"
ME: "Will you please get your Chromebook out and start on the test?"
STUDENT: "Nah, I don't feel like taking the test today." :pullhair:

I was subbing for a different teacher, and it was the last period of the day. Immediately after I have taken attendance, two boys get up and just walk out of the room. I am not stupid enough to chase after them. I asked a student, "Is this a regular occurrence at this school?" The student just nodded her head. :pullhair:

@arexcrooke, I am sorry for interrupting your thread. I will stop now.

If anyone wants to continue this type of discussion, perhaps it would be best if we went to the Water Cooler forum.

Ive never had to deal with anything like that bud. We are a small rural and poor school/district. But nothing like that happens here. Christ thats awful