• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non superhero/hero books GA books, funny, crime, patriotic, etc

41 posts in this topic

(P.S.: Glad you liked the MM pages - any guess as to whom the artist was on that Timely MM run?)

No, I don't. The quality is high, both from a basic artistic standpoint and in terms of story-telling ability. I'm suspecting they got an animator involved which was the case with so much of the funny animal work from the 40s and 50s.

This being a Timely, wouldn't have the art been done in the big-foot bullpen. There's a list of the artists a few pages back from the inside cover of one issue. I'll have to look at it over and see if anyone of them had worked in animation before. I am sure there is an Alter Ego issue that might hold our anwer, either the interview with Vince Fago or Al Jaffee. I'll try and check as I am genuinely (sp?) curious.

In the meantime, here's a later St John MM book - TerryToon # 84 -

979850-TerryToons84s.jpg

and here's the splash page which is one of the better ones in that continuation series. The cat with the handlebar mustache at the bottom right panel is The Claw, MM's nemesis in that series -

979850-TerryToons84Story1s.jpg

979850-TerryToons84Story1s.jpg.f0921d83ba430a8681894d9b5d734a92.jpg