• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How 'bout a history lesson for the new guys.
6 6

252 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 2:51 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Can you please help me understand how removing a NCB bend/crease and restoring a comic to its former state isn’t......

Restoration????

What would you call the removal of downgradable defects?

I look at restoration as something that adds to the book like color touch or takes away from the book like trimming to improve overall appearance of a book.  

We don’t view it the same way and at the end of the day I don’t think it bares any relevance on where the hobby is going or in this case has already gone so it’s really a moot point for anyone to get that upset about and argue about. 

On 11/5/2021 at 2:38 PM, sckao said:

This is getting kind of into the weeds...

So if you find an Action Comics #1 in a chest in an attic and it is COVERED WITH DUST and lint and whatever from being there close to 83 years, you cannot blow it off without it being restoration? You basically cannot alter its condition or restore anything that could detract from the grade it would be given in its current state?

(Just a theoretical...)

This is what I'm getting at. If you're not adding something to the comic or replacing something that improves the look, I don't see why it's out of bounds. Removing dust or grime, getting a few creases out if possible, shouldn't be a problem whether you do it with a machine or a stack of books.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:12 PM, KrabbyDaddy said:

"Can you please help me understand how removing a NCB bend/crease and restoring a comic to its former state isn’t......

Restoration????

What would you call the removal of downgradable defects?"

I was figuring you would come back as POS2, POS3 and keep going to see how many you could get up to before they banned the sequence from registering.

leave the newer guys alone - Shawn is new and participating.  Wait until he is around for awhile and gets to know you.  You need to stop scaring away the kids. 

On 11/5/2021 at 4:21 PM, KrabbyDaddy said:

Then why did CGC need to create their own definition of restoration to encompass "legal" pressing? 

See my answer before.  I think I answered that as to why they do not note it. 

On 11/5/2021 at 4:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

I was figuring you would come back as POS2, POS3 and keep going to see how many you could get up to before they banned the sequence from registering.

leave the newer guys alone - Shawn is new and participating.  Wait until he is around for awhile and gets to know you.  You need to stop scaring away the kids. 

Ha ha, nah, I'm good. :)

On 11/5/2021 at 4:15 PM, KrabbyDaddy said:

"Can you please help me understand how removing a NCB bend/crease and restoring a comic to its former state isn’t......

Restoration????

What would you call the removal of downgradable defects?"

How is cleaning up a book and removing dust not restoration?

On 11/5/2021 at 4:17 PM, KrabbyDaddy said:

Shawn proved himself to be a doosh quite a while ago.

Doosh? Yeah, I'm fine with that. You're living up to that description yourself quite well.

Edited by Shawn Everidge

On 11/5/2021 at 2:20 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

How is cleaning up a book and removing dust not restoration?

If removing dust is restoration then removing a magazine sitting on a comic is restoration and moving a comic from a coffee tabel is restoration and-

On 11/5/2021 at 5:19 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

Ha ha, nah, I'm good. :)

I’m not getting behind your bashing the new kids or fighting with them just because they disagree with you unless there is a real reason.  This one seems genuinely interested in learning the ropes.  

He’s not challenging the boards to fight him like the lunatic from Merced, California. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, kav said:

If removing dust is restoration then removing a magazine sitting on a comic is restoration and moving a comic from a coffee tabel is restoration and-

Well, not really, since dust would be sticking to the comic. I'm just saying some people are using restoration in an overly broad sense when it comes to comics and their value.

On 11/5/2021 at 4:25 PM, Buzzetta said:

I’m not getting behind bashing the new kids or fighting with them unless there is reason.  This one seems genuinely interested in learning the ropes.  

He’s not challenging the boards to fight him like the lunatic from Merced, California. 

Or the Brit who called us all whoppers over his Back to the Future #nn.. 

On 11/5/2021 at 2:26 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

Well, not really, since dust would be sticking to the comic. I'm just saying some people are using restoration in an overly broad sense when it comes to comics and their value.

Dust is sticking to the comic by electrostatic forces the same as a magazine would.  its just bigger.

On 11/5/2021 at 4:25 PM, KrabbyDaddy said:

Because you don't need a machine or chemicals to do it.

Who cares if you need a machine or chemicals to do it? You can stack a heavy weight on a book and remove some bends. This argument is getting ridiculous. You and I will never agree, and frankly, I really don't care what your opinion is anymore.