• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collector's Items/Editions - Comics That Called Their Shot
3 3

30 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 9:17 AM, Buzzetta said:

GI Joe #1 and Spider-man #1 have maintained or increased in value over the years.  I was surprised at what CGC 9.8's are commanding on Spider-man 1. I remember buying a green 9.8 and silver 9.8 for $50 to submit to McFarlane at CGC to be signed.

I gave away three or four Green 9.8s for free last year--one of them here in the holiday raffle.  They were all about 40-50 bucks at the time, and one I picked up for barely the cost of a slab in early 2020.  But even more surprising for me is Spawn #1.

This might be one of the earliest, and I think its only lagging Vampi 1 in market value. But in terms of calling its shot, it may be #1. Lobo was the first black protagonist in his own book. Only lasted 2 issues, as many distributors allegedly received them back unsold. If I recall correctly, I got that apocrypha from reading an interview with artist Tony Tallarico.

IMG_1385.JPG

On 11/16/2021 at 8:15 AM, Bronty said:

this is the one that always comes to mind for me, surprised no one has posted yet:

FantasticFour_11_Mass_9-6.jpg

Great example of a non-#1 collector's item issue.