• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complete Marvel/Netflix Rewatch

1 post in this topic

So about a month ago I was trying to get a friend to finally watch Daredevil on Netflix, especially with Matt Murdock’s (fingers crossed!) pending introduction to the MCU in No Way Home, and hopefully the return of Wilson Fisk and Jessica Jones on Disney+ as well before the end of the year.

I told him I’d do a rewatch of season 1 with him… and we watched episode #1 together… which he really enjoyed. But while he got busy and said he would definitely return to it “soon”… I thought I’d get a few episodes ahead… and quickly ended up finishing the first season. And then I recalled how much I loved Jessica Jones season 1 (right up there with DD 3 as the best two seasons in the run)… which led into DD season 2… then Luke Cage season 1… and I couldn’t stop.  I contemplated skipping Iron Fist, but thought I’d give it a second chance, so I ended up watching the complete Netflix/Marvel run in about four weeks.

For those who watched it all as it happened … I HIGHLY recommend a binge rewatch. I enjoyed it so much more the second time through. The pacing issues were less of an issue as I was able to enjoy the way it really felt like one, big integrated story… what with the huge amount of early universe building they did which paid off in the number of colorful and interesting secondary characters who pop up in every series.

Danny Rand/Iron Fist is STILL the least interesting of all the characters, but Colleen Wing and Misty Knight are really good characters, and quite good together … so when you start looking at Danny as a supporting character in his own story, it’s much more palatable. 

Best Single-Seasons:
Daredevil Season 3
Jessica Jones Season 1
Daredevil Season 1

The first half of Luke Cage Season 1 would also make that “elite” list.

After that, the remaining seasons all have their strengths… all, really, aside from Iron Fist season 1,which is a slog.

Actors/Characters I hope make it to the MCU

Charlie Cox/Daredevil - there’d be a riot if this didn’t happen
Krysten RitterJessica Jones - as long as they don’t try to soften her edges too much.  She played the hell out of this character.
Jon Bernthal/Frank Castle - see above, Ritter, Krysten
Vincent D’onofrio/Wilson Fisk - after Loki, might be the best villain Marvel has ever put on the screen (big or small)

There are others who COULD certainly translate just fine… Mike Colter makes a terrific Luke Cage, but I don’t think it’s essential that they cast him. They could easily go a different way. Elden Henson as Foggy had great chemistry with Charlie Cox, but again… if they brought in a new Foggy, I think people would get over it.  Etc.

Anyway, just a) wanted to share my experience and suggest that others might undertake a similar journey in anticipation of the return of some of these characters b) see also if anyone has done this, and c) see what your thoughts were on some of my takes on best seasons, characters, etc.

I’m not sure my preferences changed in the rewatching as much as they cemented.  I guess the things that probably changed the most was that I’d forgotten just how GREAT the last season of Daredevil was, and I remember thinking that the final season was Jessica Jones wasn’t very good… but I actually enjoyed it a great deal and considered it a terrific way to close her three-season arc.