• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get Yer Spidey 129's Here!!!

30 posts in this topic

When yu see NM on ebay ,I will bid as if it is F/VF.It is a bad situation with raw books right now. There are a handful of people I truly trust to grade a Silver Age book a NM and why should they sell it raw when they can easily triple their money by having it graded. The kicker is when you bid based on it being a F/Vf and it arrives a true NM. Of course by then the seller is no longer selling that collection.The collectors that have raw NM books don't put them on the market and for dealers it makes little sense. I was recently offered a Comico Primer 2 that was truly magnifecant at 5x guide raw. Insanity. Yet the dealer did not take it home from the show.

When you have something decent to sell, a seller's reputation can help. Give it to a guy that has the rep. Even with a 25% commision, you'd probably get more for the comic than if you listed it yourself.

Maybe a guy like Flying Donut. (How's that for a free plug) grin.gif

One example was the forum member "heartened" who has a website called nighthawkcomics.com where he showcases his collection of original art and raw keys. He isn't even selling, and some people here jumped down his throat, wondering why he didn't submit his high grades if they are supposedly NM.

I like CGC, but I think it would be a sad state if EVERY NM copy of a key book was slabbed. Does this not bother anyone else? Has it gotten to the point where there is no place for a raw NM key without suspicion, even in private collections? If so, that's pretty sad.

If you want to see a nice high grade raw collection of books......just wait until Bronzebruce finds out for sure that he needs to have his books re-slabbed every 7 years. There'll be labels and bits of plastic slabs flying all over the place as he tears into his CGC books to liberate them from their death traps........or he'll just flip most of them to other collectors at the 6 year and 11 month mark. crazy.gif

well when I look at the picture he has posted for the #129 why is the top of the book wider than the cardboard backing and the bottom narrower than the card board backing...........that looks suspect to me.........what a hack job.

I agree with you. I have a lot of SA ( & BA ) books that I collected back in the early-mid 70's. I am slowly selling some of my stuff.( Stuff that I don't mine selling ) but I am debating if I should send in some of my books for gradeing.

Now, I know I will probably recover my costs , but my thinking is why ?

Have we , as collectors , become so skepitcal of any thing ( Collectable ) that is not graded by a 3rd party ,or that somebody else says is "this & that " ? Are we so untrusting of others ? Or have we lost faith in what we love, & that is, this great hobby of collecting ( & selling , so that we can buy books that bring back our youth & longing for that comic book that held us in fascination & wonder as kids. )

Has this hobby just become a vehicle to make money ? Yes, I would like to own all sorts of books, but if it isn't slabbed , one day , maybe nobody will want it.

Now does that even make sense ??