• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
16 16

40,624 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2022 at 5:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

What did you do now ?

Nothing now.. I've been good.. :goodvsevil:

:butbutbutemoji: you remember the type that have made brief appearances here ....

Seems like my points climb a bit when they show up.. 

On 1/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, Buzzetta said:

I told one of the guys here that I firmly believe that most people are three terrible incidents from finding themselves in a situation that they cannot recover from.

No.  You have to realize most homeless people are people their own family wants nothing to do with.  This is because of their behavior.  Most everyone has some family or friends that can take them in for a while in time of need.  People who just walk up and throw a brick thru a window, pile trash everywhere, walk around screaming, steal,  etc-these are people who end up on the streets.  I watched one friend become homeless in real time.  First he kept getting fired because he was bossing his bosses around.  He never learned or quit doing that.  Then he got on drugs.  Started stealing.  Started asking for favors all the time.  He has a mother a father and 3 brothers.  They want nothing to do with him.
The idea that people become homeless cause they get behind on their bills is simply incorrect.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:04 PM, Buzzetta said:

I told one of the guys here that I firmly believe that most people are three terrible incidents from finding themselves in a situation that they cannot recover from.  I don't pretend to have an answer to solve these issues.  I do know that I no longer feel safe on my commute.  I have felt as if the police have abandoned the subways and this was confirmed by the new Mayor's call to action for a stronger police presence in the subway.

My big concern is basically the broken window affect and my fear of getting pushed into the tracks.  That is not being dramatic but it is a strong possibility at times as there is a large number of mentally ill people in the system that do harass, bother, and at times lash out at commuters. 

+1

This is a serious issue. You are completely right not to feel safe in those instances.  Especially with everything going on. 

Good luck. 

On 1/12/2022 at 4:10 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Nothing now.. I've been good.. :goodvsevil:

:butbutbutemoji: you remember the type that have made brief appearances here ....

Seems like my points climb a bit when they show up.. 

You mean "clime"?

On 1/12/2022 at 7:15 PM, kav said:

No.  You have to realize most homeless people are people their own family wants nothing to do with.  This is because of their behavior.  Most everyone has some family or friends that can take them in for a while in time of need.  People who just walk up and throw a brick thru a window, pile trash everywhere, walk around screaming, steal,  etc-these are people who end up on the streets.  I watched one friend become homeless in real time.  First he kept getting fired because he was bossing his bosses around.  He never learned or quit doing that.  Then he got on drugs.  Started stealing.  Started asking for favors all the time.  He has a mother a father and 3 brothers.  They want nothing to do with him.
The idea that people become homeless cause they get behind on their bills is simply incorrect.

We disagree. 

On 1/12/2022 at 4:33 PM, Buzzetta said:

We disagree. 

You havent watched a person become homeless nor had a homeless living in your carport for months with 2 dogs and trashing it.  

Nor had  friend who owned a comic shop in a building with homeless youth center and experienced all the break ins, vandalism, drugs use and the eventual burning down the building.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:36 PM, kav said:

I have more direct knowledge on this subject-you just see them on the subway.

In one job I had in L.A. I dealt with a lot of homeless people, and though some are the way you say, but most of who I interacted with were veterans with PTSD who the government did NOTHING to help, people who couldn't afford to get to out of state family that would help them, those with jobs who couldn't afford the insane rent prices in that spoon show of a town.

It's easy to group them all together, but not everyone gets to that point in the same way.

Edited by D84

On 1/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, D84 said:

In one job I had in L.A. I dealt with a lot of homeless people, and though some are the way you say, but most of who I interacted with were veterans with PTSD who the government did NOTHING to help, people who couldn't afford to get to out of state family that would help them, those with jobs who couldn't afford the insane rent prices in that spoon show of a town.

It's easy to group them all together, but not everyone gets to that point in the same way.

Maybe thats who you dealt with but most homeless are not vets.  They only account for 11%.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:11 PM, kav said:

Maybe thats who you dealt with but most homeless are not vets.  They only account for 11%.

Most of the homeless I dealt with weren't vets.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:17 PM, D84 said:

Most of the homeless I dealt with weren't vets.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, D84 said:

most of who I interacted with were veterans

???