• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Cornfield Library lounge area thread. Off topic posts are allowed!
15 15

40,335 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2022 at 8:30 PM, oakman29 said:

I can play Gently Weeps pretty right the money.

I cant play jack ****
what i draw with

On 7/5/2022 at 8:38 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Acting like you are not playing the skin flute all the time.. 

man you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allen Poe

On 7/5/2022 at 8:40 PM, oakman29 said:

I couldnt find a complete Abby Road , but here is the White Album one.

You need to just listen.

my favorite album is mystery tour, then sargeant pepper, then abbey road.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:40 PM, oakman29 said:

I couldnt find a complete Abby Road , but here is the White Album one.

You need to just listen.

McCartney's wife Linda said that he had become interested in avant-garde theatre and had immersed himself in the writings of the experimental French author Alfred Jarry. This influence is reflected in the story and tone of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", and also explains how McCartney came across Jarry's word "pataphysical", which occurs in the lyrics.[9] In 1994, McCartney said that the song epitomises the downfalls of life, being "my analogy for when something goes wrong out of the blue, as it so often does, as I was beginning to find out at that time in my life. I wanted something symbolic of that, so to me it was some fictitious character called Maxwell with a silver hammer. I don't know why it was silver, it just sounded better than Maxwell's hammer."[5]

Among Beatles biographers, Ian MacDonald said that "If any single recording shows why The Beatles broke up, it's 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'." He continued:

This ghastly miscalculation – of which there are countless equivalents on [McCartney's] garrulous sequence of solo albums – represents by far his worst lapse of taste under the auspices of The Beatles … Thus Abbey Road embraces both extremes of McCartney: the clear-minded, sensitive caretaker of The Beatles in 'You Never Give Me Your Money' and the Long Medley – and the immature egotist who frittered away the group's patience and solidarity on sniggering nonsense like this.[23]

Author Jonathan Gould cites "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" as an example of the selfishness inherent in the Beatles' creative partnership, whereby a composition by McCartney or Lennon would be given preference over a more substantial song by Harrison.[24] He also rues McCartney's penchant for a light entertainment style that the Beatles had sought to render obsolete, and concludes:

The sorriest aspect of 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' is thus the way it demonstrates how Paul's workmanlike tendency to build on his past successes had caused him to translate the genuinely charming novelty and subversive parody of 'When I'm Sixty-Four' into a personal subgenre of glibly clever songs that had devolved in the two years since Sgt. Pepper into a form of musical schtick.[25]

In 2009, PopMatters editor John Bergstrom concluded his list "the worst of the Beatles" with the song. He said that while McCartney had previously created "some borderline-schmaltzy, music hall-inspired songs", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" was "where even the secret admirer of 'Rocky Raccoon' must draw the line". Bergstrom described it as "Unnervingly 'cute', unrelentingly obnoxious, too literal-minded by half" and "the single Beatles song out of nearly 200 that is basically unlistenable".[26]

In 2020, author John Tait paired the song with "Mack the Knife" as noteworthy contemporary murder ballads about serial killers.[27]

On 7/5/2022 at 8:42 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

FTFY. 

thats it-go write on the board 50 times "I must not be sooo-oh-oh-oh"!

On 7/5/2022 at 8:53 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

naw..

BANG BANG MAXWELL'S SILVER HAMMER'LL GETCHA!!!!