• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2023 at 2:33 PM, TupennyConan said:

"Fatigue" is trying to find posts about MARVELS in this thread. 

Hey bosco, do we need a second MARVELS thread? It could be called something like The MARVELS thread about MARVELS. 

Sorry. I was in multiple meetings so missed all the fun.

Im_Busy.gif.64e53685cf934366becb82fe483b1c73.gif

:yeehaw:

On 11/15/2023 at 3:36 PM, jaybuck43 said:
On 11/15/2023 at 3:31 PM, VintageComics said:

Cool. Do you mind sharing?

What data do you want?

You had said that jsilverjanet hadn't posted the data for Focus Films and only data for Universal, which is only one subsidiary of Focus. 

I understood that we were comparing apples to oranges, so I was asking for ALL the data from Comcast's movie division to compare to all the data for Disney's movie division so we can compare apples to oranges. 

Or did I understand that wrong?

On 11/15/2023 at 11:15 PM, VintageComics said:

So...bad story telling. 

We ALL agree on that but you just can't label bad storytelling as fatigue. That's disingenuous and misleading. 

No. It's not. 
If you continuously tell the same story: 'Cosmic Menace wants to destroy the Universe - Everything goes back to normal afterwards', people will tire of that. 

You know what will happen before you see it. 

That's why most sequels DON'T do as well as the original, because audiences mostly know how things will end up. You can dress it up in different flavors for a while but generally speaking, Marvel has beaten this horse to death. 

On 11/15/2023 at 11:15 PM, VintageComics said:

That's like saying the reason many people disliked Lennon's work when he was with Yoko was because he was no longer a Beatle. No. They just didn't like Yoko so it's a complete misdirection of the facts. 

No. It's not like that at all. 
That's why people didn't like some of Lennon's solo work, but that's not the same thing as this. 
If Lennon's work was merely the same thing as his Beatles work and people grew bored hearing the same old thing, THAT would be comparable. 

The example you use is more along the lines of people hate Captain Marvel because she's not the 'White Male Superhero' they're used to. It's different than what they know, so they don't like it. 

On 11/15/2023 at 4:10 PM, Prince Namor said:

The example you use is more along the lines of people hate Captain Marvel because she's not the 'White Male Superhero' they're used to. It's different than what they know, so they don't like it. 

Nope. 

EVERY SINGLE hero in every single Marvel movies is not the hero we know, and some we like and some we don't. I enjoyed the Spider-verse movies even though they're nothing like the comics (although what I didn't like about them was that they catered to a much younger crowd - not really for me).

We just had a discussion around Idris Alba / Heimdall and none of us seemed to mind it. 

We've come to accept that the movies are not like the comics. What we haven't accepted are bad movies. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/15/2023 at 3:58 PM, VintageComics said:

You had said that jsilverjanet hadn't posted the data for Focus Films and only data for Universal, which is only one subsidiary of Focus. 

I understood that we were comparing apples to oranges, so I was asking for ALL the data from Comcast's movie division to compare to all the data for Disney's movie division so we can compare apples to oranges. 

Or did I understand that wrong?

Universal's ownership changes hands alot in the early years:

1996 $496,608,000 8.4%

2000 $1,110,845,000 14.5%

2001 $959,082,000 11.4%

2004 $893,570,000 9.5%

2006 $837,223,000 8.9%

2009 $824,628,000 8.4%

2013 $1,241,880,000 13.1%

2014 $1,128,050,000 10.98%

2015 $2,542,460,000 22.79%

2016 $1,675,050,000 14.87%

2017 $1,639,590,000 14.91%

2018 $1,928,700.000 17.15%

2019 $1,593,370,000 14.17%

2020 $304,200,000 21.9%

2021 $751,640,000 16.65%

2022 $1,693,500,000 22.88%

Edited by jaybuck43

On 11/16/2023 at 4:16 AM, VintageComics said:

Nope. 

EVERY SINGLE hero in every single Marvel movie is not the hero we know, and some we like and some we don't. I enjoyed the Spider-verse movies even though they're nothing like the comics (although what I didn't like about them was that they catered to a much younger crowd - not really for me).

We just had a discussion around Idris Alba / Heimdall and none of us seemed to mind it. 

We've come to accept that the movies are not like the comics. What we haven't accepted are bad movies. 

You're making the mistake that Comic Book Dorks make up the majority of people who see these movies. They don't.

Superhero Comics are a SMALL niche hobby. 

These are mainstream movies. The large majority of people who see them know absolutely nothing about who Peter Parker is "in the comics". That kind of talk is reserved for the Goobers that frequent forums like this. 

The truth is that mainstream audiences are bored of the 'Cosmic Menace wants to destroy the Universe - at the end everything goes back to normal' movies dressed up in different ways. 

It happens to all sequels over time. 

On 11/15/2023 at 4:28 PM, Prince Namor said:

You're making the mistake that Comic Book Dorks make up the majority of people who see these movies. They don't.

You're now talking about something NOBODY talked about and saying I made a mistake. You don't even make sense. 

I've done this dance with you too many times to not know better. I'm not going to continue debating with you for that reason. 

On 11/15/2023 at 3:51 PM, jaybuck43 said:

All three scripts should have been plotted before the first film was in the can.  Johnson's story is SO disjointed it just doesn't fit.  

Just watched Rise of Skywalker. Atrocious film, and as said in an earlier post about the MCU, a classic example of a franchise feeling milked out.

One scene after another of overfamiliar ideas that you’ve watched played out time and time again in the earlier films, and a tedious chore to sit through.

Cranking the scale of events up to 11, and sad nostalgia, doesn’t disguise that vacuity.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/15/2023 at 8:44 AM, VintageComics said:

My posts stand as a testimony against your words. Happy to openly discuss it here or elsewhere in detail if you have the courage to. 

That dude says more meaningful things in one paragraph than you have in your entire stay here. I wish I could write like him and I'm betting so do many others who won't admit it. 

This statement makes no sense. 

Disney AND Universal stream at home. The question was, not whether "Universal had highs or lows" the question was "HOW IS UNIVERSAL WITH A LOWER ESG SCORE DOING COMPARED TO DISNEY WITH A HIGHER ESG SCORE"

You're either misdirecting on purpose or because you don't understand what's being discussed. 

More misdirection and misunderstanding. 

Blumhouse is not the "darling of this thread". Blumhouse is the DARLING OF HOLLYWOOD. 

Purge made $90Million on a $3Million dollar budget. That's 30 X their cost AND THEY HAD A THEME PARK BUILT AFTER THE MOVIE.

Purge 2 made $112Million on $9Million. That's 13 X

Purge 3 made $118Million on a budget of $9Million. That's 10X

Do you know any Marvel movie that made 10 X it's budget, let alone THIRTY TIMES IT'S BUDGET? :screwy:

Anybody, literally EVERYONE in Hollywood would love that sort of return on their money but can't get it under the old, lethargic, bloated, corporate, bureaucratic system. 

But the KEY POINT, which literally went over your head, is that by keeping the budget low though paying actors percentages rather than salaries, is that Blumhouse is able to

1) cut out the bloat of all the middle men keeping more profit for the actual people working on the movies rather than lining pockets of investors

2) gives Blumhouse FULL CREATIVE CONTROL of their films, something that has haunted Marvel for 15 years and has destroyed their product 

3) given Hollywood a new, successful formula to ditch the dead, bloated corpse of the old model and create TRUE ART for entertainment. 

Go watch Invisible Man. It was INCREDIBLE and it made $145Million on a $7Million budget. 

The FILM WAS RELEASED ON FEB 28 2 WEEKS BEFORE EVERYONE LOCKED DOWN and it STILL made 20 TIMES IT'S BUDGET. 

Good God, can you imagine multiplying your money like that EVERY TIME you put something out? And had Theme parks built about some of your films to boot?

Let the men converse. We know what we're talking about. lol

Can someone tell me what the largest grossing movie was PERCENTAGE WISE for Marvel? doh!

the many brilliant points made in this post would be completely perplexing to most

On 11/16/2023 at 4:32 AM, VintageComics said:

You're now talking about something NOBODY talked about and saying I made a mistake. You don't even make sense. 

I've done this dance with you too many times to not know better. I'm not going to continue debating with you for that reason. 

Which word confused you?

On 11/15/2023 at 4:42 PM, Buzzetta said:

Fatigue is a real thing and it can absolutely have nothing to do with storytelling either good or bad. 

Imagine if you work all week but your one night to go out to eat is Saturday night.  Now, while you eat all sorts of things throughout the week, the one night you go to a restaurant to eat, you go to a steak house.  Every week, it is the same thing, steak.  Now to be fair, each steak house that you visit offers a better meal than the week before.  At first you look forward to Saturdays because you know that this week's meal is going to be better than last Saturday. 

Eventually reality sets in.

You get to go out one night a week, and maybe just maybe, even though the steak is going to be better that the last steak you had, you realize that for your one night out, you really don't want to do the same thing again, and are getting tired of steak. 

Maybe it's time to spend that Saturday night out to get Italian, or Indian, or Thai, or whatever. 

The steak may be fine, but you know what?  You are tired of going to a steakhouse. 

You're right, no more steak, I want Beef Tagliata 

On 11/15/2023 at 4:47 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

Also, elephant in the room. People grow up.

All you've done is snicker since you got here and add nothing productive. What is the elephant in the room because even I don't see it? doh!

On 11/15/2023 at 9:42 PM, Buzzetta said:

Fatigue is a real thing and it can absolutely have nothing to do with storytelling either good or bad. 

Imagine if you work all week but your one night to go out to eat is Saturday night.  Now, while you eat all sorts of things throughout the week, the one night you go to a restaurant to eat, you go to a steak house.  Every week, it is the same thing, steak.  Now to be fair, each steak house that you visit offers a better meal than the week before.  At first you look forward to Saturdays because you know that this week's meal is going to be better than last Saturday. 

Eventually reality sets in.

You get to go out one night a week, and maybe just maybe, even though the steak is going to be better that the last steak you had, you realize that for your one night out, you really don't want to do the same thing again, and are getting tired of steak. 

Maybe it's time to spend that Saturday night out to get Italian, or Indian, or Thai, or whatever. 

The steak may be fine, but you know what?  You are tired of going to a steakhouse. 

Yup. That’s the analogy I had in mind, but expressed really well.