• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs PGX

54 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm pretty new to comics and serious grading and I didn't find a beginner forum so I hope its ok I post this here. Most of you probably know the answer and it must have been talked about before:

CGC vs PGX

Who is the strictest graders of theese? Me and my friend thought that probably PGX is 0.5 strichter then CGC average?

Sorry for the trouble blush.gif,

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob. I have sent in many books to both companies but I have not submitted to PGX in at least a year. However I just sent them ten books a couple days ago. Supposedly they made some changes to their grading scale on high grade modern books. But a year or so ago when I was submitting regularly mostly with very high grade 80s and 90s books, they were definitely tougher graders than CGC. So much so that I stopped sending them books. Books that had normally been graded 9.6 or 9.8 from CGC were coming back 9.0 to 9.8 from PGX (PGA at the time). And several resubmits of my books to CGC proved that CGC was a little easier, sometimes bumping a PGX 9.0 book to a CGC 9.4. But as I said, they supposedly made changes recently which I believe means they have loosened up a bit. My advice is to definitely submit to both companies as I believe both provide a quality product. Some pros and cons to each, but in my opinion it all averages out. Use 'em both.

Rob

I like PGX alittle more then CGC.I like PGX's holder looks and feels better then CGC's. I would send sent books to both and see what you think. We do need to have a alternative to CGC and PGX fills that hole.

RS

PS Welcome to the Boards thumbsup2.gif

Books that had normally been graded 9.6 or 9.8 from CGC were coming back 9.0 to 9.8 from PGX (PGA at the time).

They're still strict... frown.gif

Had numerous 9.4 to 9.6 candidates come back no better than 9.0 or worse.

When I've had CGC grade my stuff it was either exactly what I thought, or if lower it was only by one level and I tend to accept their judgment on the call. With the PGX batch, I was constantly scratching my head in confusion confused.gif

I wonder if PGX is as good as CGC at catching trimmed books.

So far PGX has missed resto on 9 books. 8 from the same dealer named Terance Leder. I believe 2 or 3 were with trimming. The rest color touch.

PGX also gave us a doctored scan saying they didn't miss the trimming on one of the books. Leder also has ties to another e-bay dealer named ma4pres.

For the most part PGX is tighter on grades above 8.5 and looser on grades below 8.0. PGX also is a lot looser than CGC with their page quality.

However I do like PGX's holder better. Too bad somethings fishy with the company/product.

because your clearly acting like you do.

Otherwise you would be pointing out the famous CGC restoration gafs. or maybe your making up the PGX ones

You do realize that with dumbasss posts like these, you must be a PGX hater!

I find it funny that the board thinks Im Dupcak. It just shows how information on message boards can be skewed at times. I know Hammer says he is Abrams in the StlComics board but he also says that he is Krazy Kat.

Have your day in the sun Danny, but remember this, you're still ripping off collectors everyday with your undisclosed restored comics. But, one day soon the long arm of the law will definitely catch up with you.

because your clearly acting like you do.

Otherwise you would be pointing out the famous CGC restoration gafs. or maybe your making up the PGX ones

foreheadslap.gif

I've always been more than willing to point out CGC's errors. As I told FFB yesterday I will also be donating to his legal fund. My first post here over two years ago was regarding an overgraded Action 1.

Please do some searching of the forum and feel free to ask around AND ask for pictures.

970643-bats238both.jpg.ea541d6aacf050721e6d99c4ca9d5aa4.jpg