• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN!-Planet Comics #35
5 5

11 posts in this topic

I believe this was a single-staple issue (with the staple being about 4" down from the top).  Before settling on a grade, I would want to know why the interior spine was taped.  Was it to reattach a detached cover, to repair/stabilize a split spine, or both?  Here's CGC's current policy on tape:

"After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book."

On 1/24/2022 at 7:58 PM, zzutak said:

I believe this was a single-staple issue (with the staple being about 4" down from the top).  Before settling on a grade, I would want to know why the interior spine was taped.  Was it to reattach a detached cover, to repair/stabilize a split spine, or both?  Here's CGC's current policy on tape:

"After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book."

Correct single staple detached cover

Gotcha on the detached cover.  (thumbsu  One more question, if you don't mind:  what's happening at the highlighted portion of the back cover?  Is this a piece of masking tape, a strip of glued-on reinforcing paper, or nothing at all?  Can you feel any surface irregularity when you lightly move your fingertip over this area?

x1b.jpg.dc8f16e5a92c86c0178037038d6b63cd.jpg