• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No! NO! Uncle Ben is Dead!!

10 posts in this topic

Naturally, we'd associate this with Peter Parker/Spider-man, but I was searching for Bronze westerns and came upon this:

971631-rawhide.jpg

I did some quick research and this story reprints the Origin of the Rawhide Kid, whereby his Uncle Ben is killed by some owlhoots, and the Kid is forced into action, thus becoming a western legend.

Naturally, this all happened well before Spidey's first appearance in AF 15, and I continually find it bizarre that virtually every part of the SA Marvel Universe can be found in various "prototype issues". Even old Uncle Ben eating some hot lead.

971631-rawhide.jpg.f12c9d38eea564b7530e91d485bf0316.jpg

Naturally, this all happened well before Spidey's first appearance in AF 15, and I continually find it bizarre that virtually every part of the SA Marvel Universe can be found in various "prototype issues". Even old Uncle Ben eating some hot lead.

I don't think it's bizarre at all. Since Stan Lee was doing most of the scripts at the time, he was notorious for getting names confused. So for him to use a name that he thought was original, but that he had used a year before isn't that odd.

So for him to use a name that he thought was original, but that he had used a year before isn't that odd.

But it's not just a name, but the whole basic premise. Spider-man looks to be the Rawhide Kid transposed into the modern day, even down to the name of the uncle that was gunned down.

Does anyone know if the Kid had an Aunt May? grin.gif

I'm not sure what you would call "well before" but the original book came out no ealier than August of 1960 and perhaps as late as August 1961.Depending on if this story is the first origin in issue 17 or the revived origin in issue 23.

Both stories are credited to Jack Kirby in Overstreet by the way.

Nice catch,lets see if it causes a surge in interest in the book.