• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Bad is the "Do Not Encapsulate Due to Overhang" Problem?

34 posts in this topic

I was going through some 30 and 35-cent variants last night, trying to figure out which ones might be worthy of CGC grading.. when I noticed that 3 of my primo ASM 35-centers had some cover overhang.

So naturally, my thoughts went back to the forum, and CGC's recent "Do Not Encapsulate" crackdown on this type of book. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if CGC actually refunded the money for these books, but I could logically send in 20 of these, wait a few months, get 15 back as "DNE", and be out of pocket for the rest.

That is, until I got off my hass and found 15 more book sthat *might* pass the overhang test, and then pay shipping back and forth AGAIN!

CGC should really have some kind of visual outline of where this "DNE" line exists, so that submitters can at least have an idea of what may or may not pass the CGC controls. Either that, or give actual refunds for books they deem as DNE candidates.

Any idea how bad this is getting lately? Does the new Modern well mean that prior DNE candidates can now be safely encapsulated?

It is a huge problem for me. The reason why I made my first submission to PGX was due to the overhang issue. I basically had 5 GA books that were rejected by CGC due to overhang, so in order to save on shipping, I lumped another 20 and sent them over to PGX. I had another standard CGC submission of 3 GA books, in which two came back with overhang. If you factor in the shipping and insurance fees, then the time and money factor starts adding up. CGC should use their modern approach of placing books in mylar to combat the overhang issue.

Now I realize that a lot of forumites will note past SCS concerns for not slabbing these books, but I hope CGC is looking at alternatives. As you stated Vince, they should clearly list on their website which books can be encased and which ones can't (due to overhang) before submission.

Yeah, I do not mind if CGC chooses to not encapsulate a book due to SCS concerns, but it really burns my hass that they keep your money too. Then you're forced to submit more to get back your "credit" and keep that cycle going until you find enough non-overhang books to get back what should have been refunded in the first place.

It's strange, but these "credit for services/products not rendered" companies have usually been the slimiest I've ever dealt with, and it's amusing CGC would adopt the same tactic.

And remember, we are NOT talking about a conventional credit due to return, but them holding your cash hostage for "services not rendered".

Instead of kicking them while they are down,why not grab a baseball bat,beat their brains in,roll them up in a rug and drop them off a bridge.

No offense,but there are much bigger problems with CGC right now.Lets get them to fix the leak before they rearrainge the deck chairs.

Yeah, I do not mind if CGC chooses to not encapsulate a book due to SCS concerns, but it really burns my hass that they keep your money too. Then you're forced to submit more to get back your "credit" and keep that cycle going until you find enough non-overhang books to get back what should have been refunded in the first place.

On average one out of my 30 book submissions have come back unslabbed due to an overhang, so yeah, I have had those credits waiting too. But I would have to imagine that if you called them and asked for the refund rather than them holding a credit, I'm pretty sure that they would give you that credit, although I've never actually asked.

But I would have to imagine that if you called them and asked for the refund rather than them holding a credit, I'm pretty sure that they would give you that credit, although I've never actually asked.

Hmmm, seems like an "Ask CGC" opportunity.

But I would have to imagine that if you called them and asked for the refund rather than them holding a credit, I'm pretty sure that they would give you that credit, although I've never actually asked.

Hmmm, seems like an "Ask CGC" opportunity.

First of all, the CGC staff has always been very kind and helpful everytime I've conversed with them. However, I did call and ask for a refund when 2 of the 3 books I submitted were rejected due to overhang, and they stated that their policy was to use the money towards the next submission. I'm sure if I'd pushed the envelope, they would've refunded the money, but it did seem that their policy was geared against it.

I'm sure if I'd pushed the envelope, they would've refunded the money, but it did seem that their policy was geared against it.

I wouldn't doubt it. I think it is a sales tactic. I'll admit, the times I have had an overhang credit at CGC it kind of bugged me that there was a little bit of money that was being unused. Often it prompted me to get my next submission out quicker, just to even the scales. Kind of funny for just a bit of money but since I don't like unfinished business out there it was extra incentive to complete the task. Some anal-retentiveness on my part and I know I'm not the only one. crazy.gif

I wouldn't doubt it. I think it is a sales tactic.

Obviously, as not only do they get to hold your cash hostage, but they also get to keep the "credits" for those who never submit again.

During University I used to work for a slimy company, whose motto was no matter what, "give them a credit note". Then after a year of holding the credit, the company woudl delete it from their records. It's just a sleazy way to do business.

I'm sure if I'd pushed the envelope, they would've refunded the money, but it did seem that their policy was geared against it.

I wouldn't doubt it. I think it is a sales tactic. I'll admit, the times I have had an overhang credit at CGC it kind of bugged me that there was a little bit of money that was being unused. Often it prompted me to get my next submission out quicker, just to even the scales. Kind of funny for just a bit of money but since I don't like unfinished business out there it was extra incentive to complete the task. Some anal-retentiveness on my part and I know I'm not the only one. crazy.gif

My last submission was about 6 months ago, and I still have the $86 credit on hold if I decide to send in additional books. The only thing I have a problem with is that you have to clearly list the credit with your next submission to have it applied. For instance, I had two modern books come back with overhang once (from 2 separate submissions). I just automatically assumed that I'd have the $24 deducted with my next submission. However, when I sent in my next batch, nothing was deducted. I called CGC and they said to clearly show the deduction and invoice numbers with my next submission so it won't be missed. I did that the next time, and the credit was given. I just felt that I shouldn't have to remember all this information, especially if I was submiiting multiple times and couldn't keep track of my invoices.

Sky, absolutely, they should have better bookkeeping policies in place so that when you have a credit due, it is applied automatically on your next submission. It is ridiculous, IMO, that you have to remind them of it. I wonder how many people have forgotton, and thus never received their credit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just automatically assumed that I'd have the $24 deducted with my next submission. However, when I sent in my next batch, nothing was deducted. I called CGC and they said to clearly show the deduction and invoice numbers with my next submission so it won't be missed.

Oh man, I'm having flashbacks to my University job. "Missing credits" indeed - that's the oldest trick in the book. 27_laughing.gif

CGCs bookeeping is an inside joke. I'm not sure how many folks will come out and admit it on here,but many times when you join the Collectors Society at a convention and use the three submissions at the show,you get a packet with certificates for three more in the mail. Or join and get duplicate or even multiple packets in the mail.

Its not as common as you think. Out of 1000+ subs I sent in, I only had 2 come back with overhang problems

That's because you are the mack daddy nik thumbsup2.gif

Its not as common as you think. Out of 1000+ subs I sent in, I only had 2 come back with overhang problems

That's because you are the mack daddy nik thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, guess who I'm piggy-backing my next submission on. flowerred.gif

I've never had a book rejected due to overhang.

Not to point out the glaringly obvious solution to your dilemna, but have you called CGC and told them your concerns and asked them how they would handle this? Didn't think so, much easier to simply and maniacally rant and rave... insane.gif

Their customer service has always been exceptional when I have had problems in the past! thumbsup2.gif