• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's ARKHAM ASYLUM spin-off show from Matt Reeves (TBD)
1 1

10 posts in this topic

With the existence of HBO Max, the studio is using the platform to bring multiple spinoff series to life from The Batman universe. Reeves, who helmed the first installment, will serve as an executive producer on all the shows, which is more than fitting.

The first series that got put into development is the Gotham P.D.-centric drama, reportedly titled GCPD. The 1-hour drama will be taking place during Batman's first year as a crime fighter and focus on the GCPD's perspective during that time period. Joe Barton boarded the project as showrunner in 2020 after Terrence Winter exited the GCPD spinoff due to creative differences. Colin Farrell, who is bringing Oswald Cobblepot to life in The Batman, will also star in The Penguin, a spinoff revolving more around his life as a crime lord. An offshoot for Zoë Kravitz's Catwoman has also been discussed, but nothing has been set in stone just yet.

While neither show has gone into production, it appears Reeves is already planning his third spinoff show from The Batman franchise. In an interview with Toronto Sun, the filmmaker gave a few updates on Farrell's The Penguin series. In the midst of the discussion, Reeves brought up that a series that will be heavily related to Arkham Asylum is also in the development phase. It's key to note that Warner Bros. has not given it a pilot or straight-to-series order as this is the first time an Arkham Asylum-inspired drama has been brought, with Reeves sharing the following:

“We’re doing this Penguin series and one of the great things about that is Colin Farrell — he’s like you’ve never seen him. He’s so incredible and he’s a scene-stealer. Along the way, we thought maybe we could do (his character) as a series. So I talked to HBO Max and showed them Colin in the movie and spoke to them about what this could be and they said, ‘Let’s do it.’ So we’re doing that and we’re doing another series that connects to Arkham (Asylum). We are talking and thinking about the next movie, but to be honest with you, at the moment, I really want the audience to connect with this. And I really believe they will because I think Rob is an incredible Batman.”

Edited by Bosco685

I don't know. The deal that WB announced with Reeves will likely mean shows like this go ahead as WBD doubles down on creatives. I am not likely going to watch since I am not a fan of his Batman film, but others will like it. I think he will have issues with pacing and drawing things out much more longer than they need to be based on his Apes franchise and the Batman movie. Unless he changes things up, he will lose viewers along that way with streaming content.

Edited by kimik

On 8/24/2022 at 2:00 AM, kimik said:

I don't know. The deal that WB announced with Reeves will likely mean shows like this go ahead as WBD doubles down on creatives. I am not likely going to watch since I am not a fan of his Batman film, but others will like it. I think he will have issues with pacing and drawing things out much more longer than they need to be based on his Apes franchise and the Batman movie. Unless he changes things up, he will lose viewers along that way with streaming content.

You forgot to add:

"Then Reeves, while consuming a Batman-shaped pancake covered in confectioners' sugar, realized he should change his direction with developing franchise. He will call his agent, asking that he will coordinate a meeting with Zaslov and team. It is time to bring back Val Kilmer. Especially after his appearance in Top Gun: Maverick. The timing is right!

But then Reeves wakes up screaming from this nightmare of self-doubt. Realizing the path he is following is a good one. So he gets up, consumes a seltzer water to relax, and begins typing away on his favorite PC. It's time to get back to the business of expanding his portion of the DC Multiverse!'

:cheers:

Leaving the story aside, my issue with Reeves is that he draws his movies out 30 minutes or so longer than they need to be (aside from the fact that they are average to begin with for the most part). It was his issue on the Apes franchise and continued with the Batman. Unless he changes his approach for streaming, the shows will suffer as a result. Streaming is a different beast where it seems like viewers need the consistent payoff each episode or they lose interest.

On the contrary, The Batman could have been two hours longer and I still wouldn't have budged. All personal opinion really I suppose but if a story is well told (The Batman was in my eyes) it doesn't matter how long it is. Yes pacing needs to be different in a series, the MCU seem to get that backwards all the time, but providing the story and production are good enough I personally don't think it matters. Just finished Keep Breathing which was as slow as continental drift but was still a very good watch.

“The Batman” spinoff series about Arkham Asylum at HBO Max has brought on Antonio Campos as its new writer, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

Sources also say that Campos will direct and serve as showrunner/executive producer on the series, should his version of the show ultimately go forward.

However, Campos is now the third writer brought onto the DC project since it was originally announced in July 2020 with a series commitment. At that time, the show was meant to be about the inner workings of the Gotham PD and set within the same world as Matt Reeves’ “The Batman,” with Terence Winter writing and executive producing. But news broke in November of that year that Winter had left the series over creative differences. “Giri/Haji” creator Joe Barton was then brought onboard, but when the project shifted away from the police department to focus instead on the infamous asylum, Warner Bros. parted ways with Barton as well.