• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Modifications

472 posts in this topic

Concerning the statistics about restored books and doubting the extent of restored books being sold as unrestored in the pre-CGC days ("The Wild, Wild West"), the first thing that jumps out at me is that nearly 1 in 10 GA books are restored, and 1 in 20 silver age books are restored. Consider your personal collection in these terms...sounds like a lot of books, huh?

Redefine the dataset based on value, and the percentages will go way up with every incremental increase in $$. A few examples:

Spidey 1: 248/973 restored (25%)

AF 15: 259/732 restored (35% - that means more than 1 in every 3 copies is restored!! 893whatthe.gif)

FF 1: 164/489 restored (33%)

Hulk 1: 94/352 restored (27%)

Don't believe the numbers? Look no further than our very own Burntboy who would have been scammed out of OVER $20,000 by hammer were it not for CGC.

Any questions? confused-smiley-013.gif

Considering my personal collection, that would be 20 books total, and only if I had no skills at picking up resto (which is not the case).

So, no...that doesn't sound anything like the Wild West that has been painted around here...every book being suspect, just as many good deal as bad, etc, etc.

It also doesn't help by manipulating the statistics by dragging out specific isolated examples. We all know that the high end books always were the targets for undisclosed resto, and surely due diligence should have been performed on these books in the past? Would you buy a $20,000 car without checking it out very carefully?

The bottom line is that 1 in 20 Silver Age books show resto, and that is a remarkably low figure given the horror stories that have somehow passed into fact over the last few years.

If we want to play the statistic manipulation game, that could also be viewed in terms of 1 dealer in 20 being a wrong-un. Pretty good odds, if you ask me. confused-smiley-013.gif

collectors that don't mind restored books will now have more information at their disposal upon which to make an educated purchase.

I keep hearing this, but for those "collectors who buy restored books anyway" like Berk, I don't see much if any new and useful information.

Do you really think Jon Berk needs CGC to tell him that a "dot of color touch" is low-rated resto, or that "spine reinforced, pieces added, staples replaced, cleaned and tears sealed" is going to rate pretty significantly on the resto/conservo scale?

Is Jon Berk *really* saying he needs this CGC Scale to rate his own purchases, and that he has no idea as to the severity of the work, without the "P Level 0" notation? If so, how was he buying restored books pre-CGC? Blind-folded?

These new labels rock! cloud9.gifheadbang.gif

YEAH !! YEAH !!

FIDDLE WHILE ROME BURNS !!

I made sure to email CGc about my opinions and told them to keep up the great work. They truly are the best thing that's happened to this hobby and hope they continue to come up with monumental changes like this now and then to keep things fresh and appealing. I know if it's got the old codgers in a tizzy then it can't be all that bad tongue.gif

screwy.gifscrewy.gif

975201-darth.jpg

Percentages must be worked out as restored books/total books, not restored books/unrestored books. tongue.gif

I think his math is right, but his English sucks. grin.gif

So, are the number comparisons restored to unrestored, or restored to total? confused-smiley-013.gif

If the latter, I apologise profusely and will stand in the corner with the dunce hat on.

Let me rephrase my first paragraph. Books with resto on the lower end of the scale selling for more than books with resto on the higher end of the scale would be a good thing.

I agree that breaking up restored books into restored and conserved is a mistake. To me, all that's important is whether a book has a certified label or an apparent label, and if it's apparent, where the work falls on the 10-point scale. Whether it's resto or conservation is meaningless to me.

Jeff;

In full agreement with your points of view here. A formal restoration rating system is very similar to a formal grading system in that books with a higher grade/lesser restoration should naturally be selling for more money than books with a lower grade/greater restoration. A book in 9.6 graded condition should sell for more than a book in 9.0 graded condition. Similarly, a book with Level 1 restoration should sell for more than a book with Level 8 restoration, everything else being equal.

With the current coloured label system, purchasers have basically lumped all of the PLOD books together and treated them with equal disdain. The new proposed system will actually educate the collectors with respect to varying degrees of restoration and this can only be a good thing.

After all, wouldn't all of you agree that the current 10-point numerical grading system is far superior to the old 3-level grading sytem of Good, Fine, and Mint. Similarly, a 10-point numerical restoration rating system will prove to be far superior to the current 3-level restoration system of Slight, Moderate, and Extensive. thumbsup2.gif

Concerning the statistics about restored books and doubting the extent of restored books being sold as unrestored in the pre-CGC days ("The Wild, Wild West"), the first thing that jumps out at me is that nearly 1 in 10 GA books are restored, and 1 in 20 silver age books are restored. Consider your personal collection in these terms...sounds like a lot of books, huh?

Redefine the dataset based on value, and the percentages will go way up with every incremental increase in $$. A few examples:

Spidey 1: 248/973 restored (25%)

AF 15: 259/732 restored (35% - that means more than 1 in every 3 copies is restored!! 893whatthe.gif)

FF 1: 164/489 restored (33%)

Hulk 1: 94/352 restored (27%)

Don't believe the numbers? Look no further than our very own Burntboy who would have been scammed out of OVER $20,000 by hammer were it not for CGC.

Any questions? confused-smiley-013.gif

Oi! Get back to school, math-boy! poke2.gif

Percentages must be worked out as restored books/total books, not restored books/unrestored books. tongue.gif

gossip.gif Those are the percentages based on restored books/total books, hard to believe, eh? gossip.gif

I'm a member of Tau Beta Pi, I know my math!! makepoint.gif

It looks like the actual numbers are Restored to Total, although banner failed to label them correctly.

So I'd say you're both half-wrong.

I'm 100% correct here my mathematically-challenged friend - "248/973" is the fractional expression of "248 out of 973", or approximately 25%.

Next up Kiddies - Long Division! 27_laughing.gif

It looks like the actual numbers are Restored to Total, although banner failed to label them correctly.

So I'd say you're both half-wrong.

I'm 100% correct here my mathematically-challenged friend - "248/973" is the fractional expression of "248 out of 973", or approximately 25%.

Learn to read. I stated a few times that your MATH was correct, but that your PRESENTATION left much to be desired, which is where the problems arose.

"mathematically-challenged" indeed. screwy.gif

Is that like a Chinese take-away? poke2.gif

Naw, I've already apologised. I saw it as restored/unrestored, and as you didn't make it 100% clear...

flowerred.gif

Okey-dokey, class cancelled! yay.gif

Naw, I've already apologised. I saw it as restored/unrestored, and as you didn't make it 100% clear...

flowerred.gif

Thank [embarrassing lack of self control] for that. I've got to thrash out a deal with you.

Where's that X-Men #29 scan, anyway? poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

Thank [embarrassing lack of self control] for that. I've got to thrash out a deal with you.

Where's that X-Men #29 scan, anyway? poke2.gif

popcorn.gif

I like BLOD, or Blue Label of Deceit.

Or how about BLOAT, Blue Label of Apparent Trash?

Has my BLOU (Blue Label Of Uncertainty) gone by the wayside already?

frown.gif

What do you mean, "your" Blue Label of Uncertainty? I coined that phrase almost two years ago!!!! makepoint.gif

Link to my original post! acclaim.gif

How am I suppose to remeber what you posted two years ago? foreheadslap.gif

flowerred.gif

I like BLOD, or Blue Label of Deceit.

Or how about BLOAT, Blue Label of Apparent Trash?

Has my BLOU (Blue Label Of Uncertainty) gone by the wayside already?

frown.gif

What do you mean, "your" Blue Label of Uncertainty? I coined that phrase almost two years ago!!!! makepoint.gif

Link to my original post! acclaim.gif

How am I suppose to remeber what you posted two years ago? foreheadslap.gif

flowerred.gif

Yeah. I'm trying to forget what he posted two hours ago... poke2.gif