• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Modifications

472 posts in this topic

i don't think it's a big deal, CGC should of started the labels this way to begin with instead of the red, blue, purple, & green label of designation. people need to go out and take a breath of fresh air, drink some coffee, smell some damn roses instead of being pent up in cyber space all day. just my two bills. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gifflowerred.gif

Is it 4:20 already??? 893whatthe.gif

A couple of concerns:

How will staple removal and replacement be performed by Friesen. Will he perform the work to the point where others can't detect it, or will it be obvious for CGC to spot? Is he basically too good for his own good?!

With the new conservation label, I'm a bit worried about how many additional unrestored books will have work performed on them to achieve better results. The scare tactic of paper degenerating over time may cause a lot of people to have their books conserved (especially if these books perform better in the marketplace vs. their low grade unrestored counterparts). For instance, let's say a 6.0 GS X-Men #1 that sells at $200 is conserved into a 9.2 by sealing a tear. If this book now fetches $350 (since it's now in a blue label), how many people will opt for this option and start conserving/restoring perfectly fine books?

I like the new numeric system for restored books, but the new blue label designation scares me a bit.

people need to go out and take a breath of fresh air, drink some coffee, smell some damn roses instead of being pent up in cyber space all day. just my two bills. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gifflowerred.gif

Sez he, the guy with 12,000 posts! poke2.gif

- the guy with 11,000 posts acclaim.gif

I wont be doing anything that extreme, but I think in the next few months it will be a real good time for buying slabbed books, with added caution 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wont be doing anything that extreme, but I think in the next few months it will be a real good time for buying slabbed books, with added caution 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have been thinking about it for awhile, but once these "new labels" come into effect, I believe that will be the final nail in the coffin and we're in for some very dark times. I cannot believe CGC would add this obvious dealer-initiated shift to all the scandals already on the table, and expect consumers to react favorably.

So I either go with my gut and sell the non-X-men books now, or wait 6 months and risk getting only 50% of that amount.

"At CGC, we feel it is time to go even further in this pursuit by making buying, selling and trading comic books easier, safer,"

does CGC seriously think that this is going to make buying comics easier or safer ??

I mean, if it were not for this forum and the day to day information, I would have a hard time figuring out what each of these "new" labels and their notes mean, and I've been an active collector for about 15-20 years, so to a novice or newbie.. they will be totally lost..

does CGC seriously think that this is going to make buying comics easier or safer ??

Nope, but it sure will make it easier for dealers to blow off their "conserved" Frankenbooks that are currently collecting dust.

I have been thinking about it for awhile, but once these "new labels" come into effect, I believe that will be the final nail in the coffin and we're in for some very dark times. I cannot believe CGC would add this obvious dealer-initiated shift to all the scandals already on the table, and expect consumers to react favorably.

So I either go with my gut and sell the non-X-men books now, or wait 6 months and risk getting only 50% of that amount.

Maybe, but probably not. If you dont have to, dont. If you need to do it, do it. Chances are all this will eventually blow over.

Nope, but it sure will make it easier for dealers to blow off their "conserved" Frankenbooks that are currently collecting dust.

I agree, and that's what it's really all about now isn't it...sheesh... yeahok.gif

Maybe, but probably not. If you dont have to, dont. If you need to do it, do it. Chances are all this will eventually blow over.

Wait till the announcement on PCS is made and the realization that it's services dovetail perfectly to take advantage of the new label categories. That's the other shoe, you know.

I'm not passing judgment, but Steve did shop the labels around at Baltimore in September and there was pretty universal liking of them by both dealers and collectors - including many people on this board - who saw them.

"Wait till the announcement on PCS is made and the realization that it's services dovetail perfectly to take advantage of the new label categories. That's the other shoe, you know."

Part of the requirement for work to be considered conserved is: "Book must be sent to CGC from the conservator or restorer that performed the work."

It doesn't get much easier than walking a book down the hall from PCS to CGC.