• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about The Punisher's logo change...why?
4 4

195 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, Beastfeast said:

No idea about the in-story justification or whether or not Disney mandated it but it absolutely makes sense if you're wanting to distance yourself from the people/groups that appropriated the logo.  

But I gotta say - I hate it.  I don't know if it's because I'm so used to the original logo or what, but man...it looks like a bad Magic the Gathering expansion symbol.  

1621923774_tenor-1(13).gif.22091fdc8976a6e5028af6bc97534343.gif

On 3/11/2022 at 7:27 AM, Troy Division said:

I get the semantics of disliking what we believed (belief systems being one of the hardest things to change / discuss with a person as everyone's beliefs are different) to be our favorite characters changing in the Disney era.

Personally, what I think is worse than classic character portrayals is that in the sequel trilogy was the 'shrinking' of John Boyega on the Chinese poster and the quick scene of the couple embracing being removed in foreign markets.
(both of which Disney could have said no to)

Woke up and smell the coffee!  This is bu$ine$$!  :wink:

On 3/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, manetteska said:

Let's see... I've got "Betas" and "Cuck", so with my FREE space, all I need is "Woke" and "Soft" for my White Guys Complaining Buzzwords TM  BINGO card.

Or if there's a "Millennials" I can win if we're playing four-corners rules.

I feel like soy boy should be in there too.

Edited by october

I don't read the Punisher and havn't since The War Journal days.  I liked the original character even if it was a blatant Mack Bolan rip-off. 

I will say I was surprised Disney allowed so many groups to infringe upon such a well known logo, to the point where they switched it rather than protect the

copyright /trademark whatever.  Living in NY, I was surprised to see the NYPD ESU using a variant of it, and several right wing extremist groups in Arizona blatantly sell knock offs of it.

I liked the old logo and appropriated it for my clubs softball team one year, but when we tried to use it again the next year, the league said it was not allowed. 

It's strange that Disney will stop a bunch of middle aged guys from wearing it for softball but not defend it against other uses. 

On 3/10/2022 at 10:33 AM, october said:

What they did to his character was the definition of watering him down....in addition to making zero sense. The show was an indefensible disaster, aside from the two Mandalorian episodes. 

I gave it a few episodes, hoping the real Bobba would show up but I'm guessing he didn't. What a waste of my time watching that .

On 3/12/2022 at 2:07 PM, shadroch said:

I don't read the Punisher and havn't since The War Journal days.  I liked the original character even if it was a blatant Mack Bolan rip-off. 

I will say I was surprised Disney allowed so many groups to infringe upon such a well known logo, to the point where they switched it rather than protect the

copyright /trademark whatever.  Living in NY, I was surprised to see the NYPD ESU using a variant of it, and several right wing extremist groups in Arizona blatantly sell knock offs of it.

I liked the old logo and appropriated it for my clubs softball team one year, but when we tried to use it again the next year, the league said it was not allowed. 

It's strange that Disney will stop a bunch of middle aged guys from wearing it for softball but not defend it against other uses. 

The lawbreakers and extremists usually ignore Disney.

A Legal organization always responds

I kind of like the new logo. It's got a Conan/Death Dealer edge to it.  The old one was fifty years old. Retire it and then bring it back in a few years for a limited time only. 

If Disney did a Punisher/Biden crossover ala the Spidey/Obama one, I bet a lot of suspect groups would never display the Punisher logo again. 

Edited by shadroch

On 3/12/2022 at 2:07 PM, shadroch said:

On 3/12/2022 at 6:18 PM, Ares said:

The lawbreakers and extremists usually ignore Disney.

A Legal organization always responds

IMO, it goes back to my post about the insurance quote from Fight Club.
Disney wants to avoid any press / PR outside of what they put out / control.

So to their committee of decision makers (legal advisors + PR team + board of directors) decide the following -
Do not comment as it could be perceived as speaking out against law enforcement / military / "political" groups.

Because the potential blowback could result in a lower EPS on the next quarterly earnings.

Edited by Troy Division

Or....

Disney announces they will stop selling merchandise with a beloved logo, but gives the fans a few months to buy it.  Then they get to sell a new logo and eventually bring back the old one. Ka -ching.

But it isn't Disney created items.
They didn't / haven't done enough to control the trademark / likeness.
Search for 'Punisher decal' on Amazon and only one on the first page of results are a official Disney / Marvel licensed decals.

Spoiler: it is for the classic original design

Edited by Troy Division

On 3/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, shadroch said:

Or....

Disney announces they will stop selling merchandise with a beloved logo, but gives the fans a few months to buy it.  Then they get to sell a new logo and eventually bring back the old one. Ka -ching.

Even better, die-hard fans of the old logo should pay outrageous amounts for vintage 80's & 90's official Marvel Punisher posters that display the original design, which my saying here has absolutely nothing to do with that box of about 50 of them I have in my garage.

Get mad, Pun-triots!  Show them with your wallets!

Edited by jdandns