• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My trip to the library of Congress // amazing fantasy 15 oa
1 1

37 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2022 at 3:39 AM, divad said:

I think Jack Kirby did it once also, perhaps in Strange Tales Annual #2. hm

Kirby doesn't count. lol.  Spidey was one of the few characters that Kirby couldn't draw properly

P.S.  Thanks for pointing that out - I'll see if I can look that up.

Edited by pemart1966

On 3/13/2022 at 2:31 PM, trmoore54 said:

So cool!  Definitely a bucket list item for me...hope to do this in the next year or two...any advice?  Like if I called this Monday they'd be booked for 9 months?

THX

We emailed maybe 2 weeks before and it was all good.  It was pretty quiet there!

Considering the insane sale for the Secret Wars 8 page, I can't even begin to imagine what one of these pages would sell for! Doubt we'll ever find out because these pages don't belong in private hands.

As Indiana said it best,

belongs-museum.gif

On 3/14/2022 at 2:33 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Considering the insane sale for the Secret Wars 8 page, I can't even begin to imagine what one of these pages would sell for! Doubt we'll ever find out because these pages don't belong in private hands.

As Indiana said it best,

belongs-museum.gif

you know I had to say that to the curator exactly like how indy says it when she handed me the first page

On 3/13/2022 at 9:07 AM, pemart1966 said:

Kirby doesn't count. lol.  Spidey was one of the few characters that Kirby couldn't draw properly

P.S.  Thanks for pointing that out - I'll see if I can look that up.

Just pulled a ST annual 2 to check. That’s not it; we’re back to the drawing board.

On 3/12/2022 at 6:53 PM, chrisco37 said:

No.  Cover is not known to exist.

A whole lot of Marvel artwork went “underground” when the whole return the art to the creators began with Kirby being at the center of that controversy. Some stuff still stays hidden due to the splainin’ to where it came from… lol

4B0AEE04-3641-43A5-8764-CD4A74AEB7A6.gif.56376ab0482e2ac730a0541ea7f54e9b.gif

On 3/15/2022 at 10:54 AM, N e r V said:
On 3/13/2022 at 10:53 AM, chrisco37 said:

No.  Cover is not known to exist.

A whole lot of Marvel artwork went “underground” when the whole return the art to the creators began with Kirby being at the center of that controversy. Some stuff still stays hidden due to the splainin’ to where it came from… lol

Interiors yes.  But as a general rule the covers don't seem to have survived.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:54 PM, N e r V said:

4B0AEE04-3641-43A5-8764-CD4A74AEB7A6.gif.56376ab0482e2ac730a0541ea7f54e9b.gif

Yeah.  I had originally typed “cover does not exist”, but changed the wording before I posted just in case it resides in a black hole collection somewhere.  Never heard any rumors that the AF15 cover is out there though.

On 3/15/2022 at 2:06 AM, chrisco37 said:

Yeah.  I had originally typed “cover does not exist”, but changed the wording before I posted just in case it resides in a black hole collection somewhere.  Never heard any rumors that the AF15 cover is out there though.

Well if Ditko got a hold of it the chances would be low but I’m counting on the opposite. Cover art was always the most desired even before it had value. I don’t think most collectors were aware that the entire Spider-Man story from Amazing Fantasy #15 existed until it was gifted. I know a number of pieces of “missing” original art were “gifted” to fans back in the 60’s and 70’s and others. A lot was just “lifted” by others who worked at Marvel or were somehow involved with the business over the years. Some of it has emerged on the market and some has not. I’m always hopeful. I picked up some Timely OA decades ago from an early Silver Age fan who had acquired it from someone who was associated with their business in the 1940’s. Just could have easily been lost but sometimes fortune smiles on you…