• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing Books at Home
2 2

22 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2022 at 7:11 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I'm jealous of you having that model strictly for the better temperature range & controls - I've been using a Seal Jumbo 150 for years as my first press to practice minor hobby stuff with, as I was able to get it cheap from a local seller, but have had to carefully adjust my times and process due to how easily it can nuke a book :D 

It's been a real workhorse for me and has paid for itself many times over.  I got it for $500 from a local photographer back in 2004 or so.  I had a couple of books ruined by a "professional," and it took several months to get my books back even though it was a small project.  That was when I decided to learn how to do it for myself and my friends.  That said, it took some trial and error and nuking a few books before I figured it out.  There was basically nothing on YouTube or anywhere online about how to do it and everyone who knew what they were doing was very tight-lipped.  Mike S (Povertyrow) helped me dial in the process and after a lot of practice, I'm really happy with the results I get.  

On 3/24/2022 at 1:21 PM, FFB said:

one can infer that they may not use heat.  I can agree, however, that it's unclear either way and he does not explicitly say they don't use heat

I know for a fact that Matt used heat (in conjunction with moisture and cold pressing) when he owned CI.  His office was about 10 minutes from my house and he and I talked pressing several times.  In fact he was the one who encouraged me to press my own books.  Heck we would get brownouts when he fired up all the presses. (Okay, I made up that last part.)  I recall hearing he had 60 presses at one point (unconfirmed).