• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about someone want to grade THIS?? Another Iron Fist 14

42 posts in this topic

If you cant tell i have an Iron Fist 14 fetish. The last one you guys took a grade stab at i did not buy as it was a little less high grade than i wanted. This one I already bought. Anyone want to guess the grade?

Link is to front cover and attachment is back cover. Thanks in advance.

Iron Fist 14 Front

147963-ironfistback14-1.jpg.580f5bba3c3a2211f49a35d813b90d8f.jpg

I was kind of figuring about 9.2 myself. what makes me wonder is that i had this one graded. (see attachment) with one color breaking stress line and a miscut cover (see marvel stamp) and got a 9.4. so maybe i was wishful thinking that this might get up that high. (kind of a bronze books get a bit easier grading fantasy i have working. its one of my favorites behind the me and Pam Anderson one)

148008-IFNM.jpg.5c25aeda22c4931c128b001d904dcd65.jpg

Well, CGC doesn't factor in production issues like off-cuts, off-center covers, wrinkles (ask Greggy!) and other aesthetic flaws, so you can only really compare the structure of the two.

that is funny to me because, given the choice, if both were slabbed at the same grade, i think that the cover with the right cut on the comic code would be more desirable. just a bit more appeal to me. probly silly though. not that i am looking a gift horse in the mouth but there should be a bit of a down bump for miscut covers and other printers defects. just my opinion.

In the long run there will be, mark my words.

The only true trend in collectibles is the big money moving towards the highest quality copies available. Right now that could equate to a horribly-centered, 1/2" of white border, printer-wrinkled CGC 9.8, but that could easily change when a new grading company emerges.

It only makes logical sense, given the premium placed on perfect specimens in other collectible fields, and CGC stands alone as the only grading company that allows production flaws in high-grade slabs. Try getting a Beckett high-end grade on a off-center card.

Even on a 9.0, it requires:

Centering: 55/45 both ways on front. 70/30 or better on back.

And it only goes way up as you get to the 9.0+ grades, with 50/50 perfect centering required at 9.5 and 10.0.

That's logical no?

I just saw a CGC 9.8 Byrne X-Men on EBay, that had the title and price literally cut off at the top. I don't recommend investing in comics, but that book would be a really sad-[!@#%^&^] resale comic.

wrinkles (ask Greggy!)

Like the 9.8 Shanna the She Devil 1 that I received back with 3 production creass on the back cover plus the cover was horizontally off-centered? confused.gif

Is that a bend on the back top cover or is it a scanner trick?

Hell, my copy which got a 9.6 W looked similar from the front. Back may be marginally better. But...like a good businessman, I sold that fokker right away, as I thought that it was overgraded! wink.gif

it is a very slight bend in top of back but the scan makes it look worse than it is. not sure how to describe it but it is a subtle bend with no real crease. this, the one small color breaking crease and the ULC is a tiny bit blunted. only three flaws i can find. pages are white.

you really think centering will come into play on comics? With a card, centering is way more important solely because there are just so few things to grade: corners, hickeys in printing, off register plates, rips+folds and centering.

A comic book has so many factors that only way-off-centering matters IMHO. I hope we dont get to that point at least! I actually like a white spine since it hides stress marks. It's like a free ride on spine issues!

>>I hope we dont get to that point at least! I actually like a white spine since it hides stress marks. It's like a free ride on spine issues!

I'm sure most buyers don't feel the same way. grin.gif

Just think about it logically; high-end investors are looking for perfect specimens and paying huge bucks for them. You state erroneously that sportscards have always been graded this way (due to many factors) when in reality, PSA initially followed the same path as CGC.

It was only when competition emerged, that true high-grade copies were removed from the PSA 9-10 junk pile, and the off-center, mis-cut, production crease/paint spot, or gum-stained PSA 9's-10's were literally garbage cards. Just ask Darth how much he appreciates production creases in his CGC 9.6 copies, or how badly off-center or white-border books bother people paying thousands of dollars for investment purposes.

Another analogy is Forum Legend greggy, making sure he picked up the very best raw copies. He made a killing with CGC, but now many buyers and sellers seem to think CGC is the be-all/end-all, when a collectibles market is always evolving.

Those buying nicely-centered, high-gloss CGC 9.4-9.6 copies may actually come out smelling like roses in the coming years, compared to the huge multiples paid for 9.8 copies with production flaws.