• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 Oscars predictions
2 2

114 posts in this topic

Will Smith, in the wake of slapping Chris Rock at Sunday’s Oscars, has decided to resign from the membership of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Smith issued a statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter on Friday afternoon.

“I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,” Smith said.

The statement continues, “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film. So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.”

On 4/2/2022 at 2:10 AM, Bosco685 said:

Not really a big deal though is it? He can still be nominated for future Academy awards. And I’m not saying he shouldn’t be. I try not to judge or condemn anyone for f’n up, God knows I’ve been there. We all have our own demons and breaking points. But I think its what we do right after, how we deal with it that’s important. 

On 4/8/2022 at 12:30 PM, Bosco685 said:

And now you see where the instigation originates from

Balls in vice

Hey, you choose a path, you walk it

Being man is knowing when you've made mistakes and having the courage to correct them

I love when people try to tell me Disney doesn't use its immense power to get its way. And then the truth comes out.

Disney Threat Allegedly Forced Oscars To Pull Categories, Including Short Animation, From Live Telecast

A story in The Hollywood Reporter about Academy infighting contained a stunning allegation from one of the Academy’s governors:

This governor says that he was told that ABC had warned the Academy that it would cancel the Oscars telecast, via a clause in the Academy and ABC’s deal for the Oscars’ broadcasting rights, if 12 categories were not removed from the show. “We were told we’d have to sacrifice something or we were going to lose the whole show,” this governor recalls.

ABC, which is owned by the Walt Disney Company, has aired the Oscars since 1976, and pays the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences an annual licensing fee of around $100 million, which makes up the bulk of the organization’s operational budget. Losing Disney’s support would therefore be a drastic blow to the Academy’s operations, which also include running a film research library and the newly-opened Academy Museum in Los Angeles.

Disney's ABC pays The Academy $100M annually so as to have exclusive rights to air The Oscars. Which is the largest portion of it's budget. So how did Disney use that immense financial power?

The Academy ultimately compromised with ABC to drop eight categories from the live telecast, rather than the 12 demanded by the network, and to repackage an edited version of those awards for the live telecast. (Neither the Academy nor ABC has confirmed the allegations of the Academy governor.)

It’s more than a little ironic that among the awards that Disney has forced off the live telecast is the animated short award, which was essentially created in 1932 to reward Disney’s films and which was won by the Walt Disney Company for the first eight years of the award’s existence.

The decision to remove the animated short award won’t affect any Disney filmmakers though. This year marked the first time in 12 years that a Disney production hasn’t been nominated in the category.

Disney didn't have awards in this category. So it demanded it be cut out to focus on the categories they do.

mickey-mouse-celebration.gif.b693d3963c282b423b1e5e454e8fa534.gif

On 5/17/2022 at 6:32 AM, Bosco685 said:

I love when people try to tell me Disney doesn't use its immense power to get its way. And then the truth comes out.

Disney Threat Allegedly Forced Oscars To Pull Categories, Including Short Animation, From Live Telecast

Disney's ABC pays The Academy $100M annually so as to have exclusive rights to air The Oscars. Which is the largest portion of it's budget. So how did Disney use that immense financial power?

Disney didn't have awards in this category. So it demanded it be cut out to focus on the categories they do.

mickey-mouse-celebration.gif.b693d3963c282b423b1e5e454e8fa534.gif

Wow, I did not know that Academy was well and truly paid for by Disney.