• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archival tape and detached centerfold

21 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2022 at 11:10 PM, Tony S said:

Archival tape is a bit less clear. It is listed as a material used in conservation repairs, but there are books out there with archival tape repairs that are blue labels. So not clear what that means. Could be as simple as the graders are not able to always tell if the tape they see on a book is archival. 

All the books I've ever seen with archival tape are graded just as if it were regular tape.  That was confirmed by Paul Litch several years ago, before the Conserved label came about, when I asked him about what would be allowed on my ASM 1.  There was a piece on the back cover that was barely handing on; Matt Nelson had reinforced with rice paper.  Paul told me, because it was rice paper, regardless of its function, it would be PLOD.  The only way around that would be to tape it. It wouldn't matter if it was archival or not; it would get a blue label with a tape note.