• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $1M+ Club
4 4

55 posts in this topic

I still find it rather surprising that it would take something like 22 long years for a second copy to finally join the first CGC 9.8 graded copy of Spidey 1.  :whatthe:

In fact, as per a post from another thread here, I found it rather interesting that ALL of the highest graded early Marvel first appearance keys were all graded pretty much right when CGC first opened their doors and have yet to be surpassed save for 2 of them:  hm

On 4/21/2022 at 12:45 AM, lou_fine said:

...........very interesting is that after some 22 years of grading now, virtually every single one of the highest graded copies of those key Marvel SA first appearance books were the ones that were graded pretty much right when CGC first opened their doors back in 2000.  From the CGC census, it would appear that the only exceptions to this were CGC 9.8 graded copies of Daredevil 1 and Tales of Suspense 39 that were graded in the latter half of 2010 and 2016 respectively that finally surpassed the prior 9.6 highest graded copies of both these books which were slabbed when CGC first started up.  :whatthe:

Makes me wonder if this has anything to do with how grading has changed over the years since grading is seemingly different today from when CGC first opened their doors.  Especially with respect to their shift in focus on various types of defects as time has gone on. hm (shrug)

I also wonder how much longer we will have to wait before we see more of these highest graded Marvel first appearance keys from 20+ plus years ago be surpassed since we have yet to see if with all of the large number of these key books certified over the past 2 decades. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 4/27/2022 at 2:00 PM, Terry JSA said:

Interesting. Could I see an ASM #1 hitting $1M? Probably not.

A 9.4 sold for almost 250k last year 

I think a 9.8 could hit 1M

There’s no 9.8 sale on GPA.  When was the last time the first 9.8 changed hands?

On 4/27/2022 at 7:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

There’s no 9.8 sale on GPA.  When was the last time the first 9.8 changed hands?

Pretty sure the sole 9.8 has never changed hands since it was graded.

And I say sole 9.8 because the new one is just an uppity 9.6. 

On 4/27/2022 at 7:13 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Brulato still?

I'm guessing. Unless he sold all his uber keys without telling anyone. 

On 4/27/2022 at 7:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

A 9.4 sold for almost 250k last year 

I think a 9.8 could hit 1M

I think it’ll come close to it, but the cover holds it back I feel like. 

Lol. I read the line wrong.  It reads “Amazing Fantasy 15 9.6. “. But there’s a 9.4 before Amazing, and the 9.6 belongs to DD 1 on the next line.  I gotta lie down again..

TB had a 9.4 early on and much later, after all the other upgrades, finally relented and had his done. 

On 4/27/2022 at 4:12 PM, COI said:

Pretty sure the sole 9.8 has never changed hands since it was graded.

And I say sole 9.8 because the new one is just an uppity 9.6. 

As I had alluded to in an earlier post, would they truly be comparable now since grading standards have changed rather significantly since Brulato got all of his still highest graded Marvel first appearance books graded some 20+ plus years ago.  hm

Especially since this was most probably before CGC got a chance to shall we say, "refine and fine tune" their undisclosed grading standards. (shrug)

On 4/27/2022 at 5:48 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Now, that's definitely a blast from the past and it's simply amazing how many long ago active boardies have seemingly left the comic book marketplace in the interim or not bothering to post here at all anymore.  :(

Interesting to read the posts from Brulato here as he certainly considers himself to be THE MAN in this marketplace while everybody else is just a sonny boy to him to be seemingly almost treated like a bug at the bottom of his shoe.  lol