• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Reading Club!
7 7

1,046 posts in this topic

EERIE #31 - January 1971

EERIE31F.thumb.jpg.c4b489ea1928d3c7aab89462e814380b.jpg

According to the Warren Magazine Index...

31. cover: Richard Corben (Jan. 1971)

1) Point Of View [Buddy Saunders/Tom Sutton] 9p

2) The Drop [Chris Fellner/Bill Fraccio & Tony Tallarico] 6p

3) The Devil’s Hand! [Bill DuBay] 6p

4) The Alien Plague! [Billy Graham] 10p

5) The Oasis [Buddy Saunders/Carlos Garzon] 8p

6) October Weir: Lady In Ice [Nicola Cuti/Frank Bolle] 7p

7) Eerie Fanfare: I, The Nightwatchman/Poem/The Pact/Down In Cannery Dough [Ed Fedory/Danny Massoni, Michael Darrah & Craig Hill/Jeff Jones, ?, Greg Theakston & Arvell Jones] 2p   [text stories & poem]

8) The Killer Slime [Steve Skeates/Carlos Garzon] 8p

9) Easy Way To A Tuff Surfboard! [Archie Goodwin/Frank Frazetta] ½p   reprinted from Eerie #3 (May 1966)   [on inside back cover]

Notes: Corben’s first Warren cover was quite good, featuring hairy, faceless monsters rising up from a dead body and pointing directly at the reader.  Bill Fraccio’s & Tony Tallarico’s art was also good on the drug story ‘The Drop’.  At the request of future editor J. R. Cochran, Ed Fedory would later rework his text story from the fan page into a comic strip that would appear in Creepy #46.  The final October Weir story appeared.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, after the cover of CREEPY #36, which I would have thought was a Corben but was not, here we have an actual Corben--the Warren debut of Corben, no less--which I had not and would not have thought was a Corben but is!  Although now that I know that it is, I can see Corben in it--but I also see elements I would associate more with later Terrence Lindall covers (like CREEPY #108 or #116).  It doesn't seem like the monster is pointing directly at me, as the reader, either; it seems to be pointing more to my left and behind me.  Maybe it's trying to warn me?  The Index doesn't really give us any clue which story (if any) inspired (or was inspired by) the cover, but hopefully we will find out inside--and the mystery of the monster's intent will be solved.

I love the idea of a fan page story being later reworked into a feature story--I'll have to try to remember when CREEPY #46 rolls around (the week after the 4th of July next year--lol)--and that also gives me reason to expect a piece that rises above the usual fan fare level of drek.

"The Drop" sounds more like another True Crime story than something I'd expect in a Warren mag, and the short-lived October Weir series wraps up with what I'd expect to be another supernatural crime mystery ("I would have gotten out of that mirror, too, if it wasn't for those meddling kids!")--so after "Coffin Cure" last week, we're getting a heavy dose of crime drama with our horror these days.  Not that I'm complaining; I only hope to see another in the string of quality issues we've been enjoying lately!

On 12/17/2023 at 12:31 AM, OtherEric said:

I suppose it's worth mentioning that, since our last issue of Eerie, I've managed to complete my run of the title other than #1, which we're already passed.  Creepy as well, so other than a couple of 1994's I've got all the books needed for the reading club going forward.

Excellent!

VAMPIRELLA #9 - January 1971

VAMPIRELLA9F.thumb.jpg.cc0a018374d5ac98a4a08b3aa98a6a33.jpg

9. cover: Boris Vallejo & Wally Wood (Jan. 1971)

1) Vampi’s Feary Tales: Lilith [Nicola Cuti/Jeff Jones] 1p   [frontis]

2) Vampirella: The Testing! [Archie Goodwin/Tom Sutton] 12p

3) Monster Bait! [Don Glut/Joe Wehrle] 6p

4) Fate’s Cold Finger! [Doug Moench/Ken Barr] 6p

5) The Curse [Wally Wood] 8p

6) Jack The Ripper Strikes Again [Chris Fellner/Jerry Grandenetti] 8p

7) The Boy Who Loved Trees! [Gardner Fox & Barry Smith/Barry Smith] 6p

8) Vampi’s Flames: Vampi’s Vindication/To Die, To Sleep/The Trap [Archie Goodwin?/Michelle Knight & Charles Collins/Bruce Holroyd, Peter Hsu, Carlos Maria Federici, Ronald A. Stringer & Peter Iasillo] 2p   [text article & stories]

9) The Work Orders For The Day! [Alac Justice] 7p

Notes: Vallejo’s North American debut cover was shrunk to insert size and surrounded by the splash page artwork from Wally Wood’s interior story.  Not sure why this was done since it was a decent enough, if not particularly strong, cover.  This issue was a striking mix between very good and pretty much lousy story and art.  Not surprisingly, the best work was by the pros—Wally Wood, Jeff Jones, Jerry Grandenetti, Archie Goodwin, Tom Sutton, Gardner Fox and Barry Smith {nowadays Barry Windsor-Smith, here making his only Warren appearance}.  The Fox/Windsor-Smith & Wood stories were the best.  Future artist Peter Hsu made his comics debut on the fan page.  Goodwin’s editorial on the fan page regarded a plagiarized story that had appeared on #8’s fan page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been intrigued by this cover ever since I first unboxed it with the rest of the Vampis last year--I don't remember seeing any other black-and-white covers in the Warrenverse (anyone know of any?), and even if it's not totally black-and-white, the whiteness of this copy was striking in and of itself.  It definitely has made me anxious to read the associated Wally Wood "masterpiece."

I hadn't really paid much attention to the color insert before, but if it truly is Boris Vallejo's North American cover debut, that's not only an important milestone to note this week, but it's almost criminal that it was reduced to an insert on a black-and-white cover!  So I think I can truly say I'm developing a love/hate relationship with this cover--love both masters, but hate that they were forced to share the spotlight!

On the inside, it looks like the two cover stories are designated as the highlights--as cover stories should be--but the list of other "pros" is also impressive, while still leaving room for a few new names and the Peter Hsu debut (which rhymes in my head, but I'm probably mispronouncing it).  The plagiarized fan story sounds interesting, too!

And forgive me, but I really hope Monster Baiting doesn't become a thing...

Although this issue is cover-dated January of 1971, it was probably actually released somewhat earlier--maybe just a few weeks before Christmas 1970?  And here I am, wishing a Merry Christmas exactly 53 years later to people I didn't know 2 years ago who have come together over this thing that I didn't know existed 2 years ago.  Ain't it funny how the night moves...

So Merry Christmas!

On 12/24/2023 at 11:20 AM, OtherEric said:

The Curse:  The cover promotes this as "a Masterpiece by Wallace Wood".  When a cover calls something a masterpiece the first time it's published, it's wrong at least 99% percent of the time in my experience.  This is one of the rare exceptions, a genuine comic classic showing Wally Wood just knocking it out of the park.  And as I've said more than a few times before, my vote for all time greatest comic artist is Wally Wood on a good day, the problem being he had a few too many bad days.  This is not one of those bad days.

One of the best stories Wood ever did for Warren, with a hint of the whimsical touch that made him so endearing... :foryou: 

Edited by The Lions Den

On 12/28/2023 at 7:30 PM, The Lions Den said:

I actually like this better than the original...   

Blowing up this Boris work, I realized that the women’s legs are translucent. They are ghost like spirits, something I never noticed before in the small inset.

On 12/28/2023 at 6:17 PM, Jayman said:

A reimagined "What If" cover to ponder...

Vampirella # 9 Alt Low.jpg

I like it!

On 12/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, Jayman said:

Blowing up this Boris work, I realized that the women’s legs are translucent. They are ghost like spirits, something I never noticed before in the small inset.

Yeah, they're the dryads, the spirits of the trees.  I mean, you don't think he just loved trees, do you?

I still totally love/hate this cover.  This is clearly an instance where Vallejo's cover painting was commissioned after the story was written, as the boy on the cover doesn't appear to be enjoying trees very much--but the story explains all.  The story is strong enough and the artist ultimately became prominent enough that the issue would have been just fine if Vallejo's debut had been the full cover, a la @Jayman's reimagining above--but at the time, apparently Vallejo was a relative unknown, while Wally Wood was already a master, and so it's kind of a shame that Vallejo's debut ended up sharing the spotlight with Wood (ironically enough, for a story about trees).  But it's also very understandable--it would be an equal and opposite shame not to pay homage to Wood's significant contribution here; not only on its own terms as an instant classic, but because (I think) this is Wood's first significant work for Warren since the "Golden Days" of the first dozen issues or so.  So I totally understand why the cover is that way that it is; I just hate that both of these milestones couldn't have had their own issues!

Lilith is a good topic for "Vampi's Feary Tales," being kind of an apocryphal prequel to the parable of the Garden of Eden in the Christian tradition--and a symbol for feminine rebellion and independence, much like Vampi herself!

The "Vampi's Scarlet Letters" and "Vampi's Flames" features seem closely interlinked this issue, with one of the fan letters alerting Warren to the plagiarism of a previous fan submission, leading to the "Vampi's Vindication" editorial in the Flames section.  There are also letters by Peter Hsu (critical of the art recently!) and Bruce Holroyd corresponding to their artistic submissions on the fan pages.  Somewhat ironically, I didn't think Hsu's sketch was that good, but I guess he gets better?  In general, the fan fiction was probably better than the fan art this time around, and that's kind of unusual.

The Flames section was seriously marred by misspelling one of their most treasured artists' name, though:

Frezetta.thumb.JPG.9b821996bdd15a8efc1782ec1c95a004.JPG

And now, the stories...

Having been impatient to read "The Curse" since first seeing this issue, it was the first thing I read this week, and it really was worth the wait.  As regular readers of the Reading Club know, I tend to take seriously my duty to criticize and find fault with plots and storytelling and to a lesser degree with spelling and grammar--but other than one misspelled word ("focussed") this thing was just about perfect.  The whole piece is a cohesive, charming tale about (as the Contents page puts it) "a being from nowhere."  I actually read this entire story again a day later, just because I was so enchanted by it--and I could go on and on about the little touches, like the lizard watching Zorg when he first meets the girl (omitted from the front cover)--but it seems unnecessary to gush here; everyone realizes this one is a classic.  Between this piece and "Point of View" in EERIE #31 last week, we're hitting the bar set by some of the early classics in the Golden Years, like Ditko's "The Collector."  It's fun, heroic, and tragic all at once.

Devolution.thumb.JPG.f17c19f3d8cba532f7563547bbb8e403.JPG

I then moved on to the other cover story, "The Boy Who Loved Trees."  This one wasn't quite as neat and clean, though Barry Windsor-Smith's British heritage allowed me to learn what "Teddy Boys" are.  Apparently they were what we would call in America "greasers" or just "hooligans," but if I called someone a "Teddy Boy" these days, I would probably have something else in mind.

Anyway, the "dryad party" was a little weak--only four of the little negligee-wearing nymphs bothered to show up?  We're in the middle of the woods here; what are all the other dryads doing that's more important than the dryad party??  And though the ending completes a satisfying "revenge" plot, the trees probably didn't have to be so murderous.  Had the trees just stepped in to lift Eddie up and away from danger, the Teddy Boys probably would have pooped themselves, run off, and treated Eddie like a king from then on.  But hey, it's a horror magazine so whatevs.

Then I went back and started from the beginning of the issue.  I don't have a lot to say about "The Testing," other than that it's good to see the Vampirella saga finally starting to take shape with the Goodwin/Sutton team driving the thing; it will be interesting to see where they take it.  I thought it was also kind of ironic that the denouement of this chapter of the Vampi saga--with the undead son finally able to find peace in death upon the demise of his enchantress mother--closely mirroring the twist of "The Curse," where the daughter was finally able to find peace in death upon the demise of her enchantress mother.

There was some interesting interplay between stark contrasts in "Monster Bait," but for the most part, I didn't like the art much more than the story--and the story was a complete mess.  Even overlooking awkwardness like "Your home is not exceeding pleasance," and the obviousness of the twist, the whole "trap" is just too elaborate--the vampires waste a dragon and put Vespa at risk of being eaten by said dragon every time they hope to lure and trap a new hero to save her?  Just let her act like a rock fell on her ankle or something and he has to carry her home.  This is the absolute clunker of the issue.

The irony of the title, "Fate's Cold Finger," takes on a new meaning at the end, which I thought was kind of clever, but this still never rises above the level of competent filler.

It seems like Grandenetti did another Jack the Ripper based story for us in the past, but I can't find it now, so I may be mistaken.  "Jack the Ripper Strikes Again" also seems like crime-drama filler that probably couldn't stand on its own (or appear in a horror magazine) without being couched as an alternate telling of the Jack the Ripper mythos.

I found the Alac Justice art for the final story, "The Work Orders for the Day," to be competent enough, but the text of the story was almost impenetrably dense and littered with errors, and I'll admit that I wasn't putting a lot of work into it by the end and I didn't really get the point of it all, other than that a generational storm damaged the computer overlord and everything ground to a halt.  Ok, bye.

Like @OtherEric said, this would be a pretty good issue if it was just "The Curse" and a bunch of filler--and as it turns out, that's about what it is.  I was actually a little disappointed by the quality of some of these pieces, and I really didn't see anything that excited me from the newer contributors, but "the pros" contributed enough quality to elevate this issue above its shortcomings.

I can't believe I almost forgot to note that this issue's Vampirella saga takes place just a few hours away from me down I-35 west of Wichita, Kansas--if we can assume that "Chaney, Kanas" refers to the actual town of "Cheney, Kansas."  The last episode apparently took place in Colorado, so it makes sense.

ChaneyKanas.thumb.JPG.ea1f1a8b5f7099767a5b26a8b2c17b93.JPG

Who knew that sleepy little farm town was such a hotspot for witches, zombies, and alien vampiresses?

And upon further reflection, I felt that this issue of Vampirella was so chock-full of hottie-boom-botties that it deserved its own "Babe Gallery," which may or may not become a semi-regular feature, depending on the offerings of future issues.

First we had Vallejo's frolicking dryads from the cover:

Dryads.JPG.b46a86e6094f73edfefe85482b4be863.JPG

Then Lilith and Eve from Jeff Jones' Feary Tales:

LilithEve.JPG.f04c4a99d7fb468990960c8924f54a33.JPG

Of course Vampirella herself from Sutton's feature:

Vampi.JPG.adbbf3184ce600f631784a6aa894242f.JPG

Joe Wehrle's poorly drawn Monster Baiter:

Baiter.JPG.76b4ded410bebd1ce093492610817424.JPG

Wally Wood's fetching heroine Zara from both the cover splash and later from interior action:

ZaraF.JPG.9ffd6b122b965fdd97a87141438651e9.JPGZaraB.JPG.6c09210433508a937ca64d9f5fe542bc.JPG

Lyssa and various other assorted negligee-wearing dryads from Barry Windsor-Smith:

Teddy.JPG.50625721c8a9f7d24b1c7cde0fd0eeba.JPG

Party.thumb.JPG.1c35a0b695b0b24dd43e605178565c84.JPG

I'm pretty sure little Eddie is glad he has "the sight" too.

And finally, a wardrobe malfunction at Monitoring Station #40:

Malfunction.JPG.00cf413da0f45c431b48afe21639d148.JPG

Between the author of "The Curse," the subject matter of trees, and the celebration of the female form, Vampirella #9 could be subtitled, "Got Wood?"

CREEPY #38 - March 1971

CREEPY38F.thumb.jpg.3deccbf1726b934305136bee0ebc9b08.jpg

38. cover: Ken Kelly (Mar. 1971)

1) Creepy’s Loathsome Lore: Killer Plants! [Clif Jackson] 1p   [frontis]

2) Wooden Cross! [Steve Skeates/Rich Buckler] 6p

3) The Vengeance Of The Hanged! [Chris Fellner/Syd Shores] 8p

4) Sticks And Stones To Break Their Bones [Stu Schwartzburg/Bill Fraccio & Tony Tallarico] 5p

5) The Way Home! [T. Casey Brennan/Mike Royer] 8p

6) Sleepwalker! [Gerry Conway/Mike Royer] 7p

7) Secret Of The Haunted Room [Bill Warren/Ernie Colon] 9p

8) The Creepy Fan Page: Alpha 3 [Dan Thost/John Cornell, Gary Kaufman, Loper Espi, Jim Pinkoski & Steve Leialoha] 2p   [text story]

9) The Cosmic All [Wally Wood] 8p

Notes: Warren published new artist Gary Kaufman’s submission letter on the letters’ page and previewed his art on the fan page.  Future Marvel editor & writer John D. Warner also sent in a letter.  A fine art job by Ernie Colon enhanced ‘Secret Of The Haunted House’.  Mike Royer & Syd Shores also contributed some nice art.  Like Phillipe Druillet, Loper Espi was a professional artist whose submissions, for unknown reasons, were printed on the fan pages next to amateur submissions.  Fan artist Jim Pinkoski also appeared on this issue’s fan page, as did future comic artist Steve Leialoha, making his comics debut.  The big news, though, was the return of Wally Wood with an excellent little SF number.

Again this week it seems like there's a lot of interrelated action happening on the mail and fan pages, with a littering of letters and a deluge of debuts from future creators of which I've never heard.

In fact, outside of Wally Wood, it seems like much of this issue is populated with "B-list" artists (IMO) like Royer, Colon and "Williamsune," which hopefully won't be too jarring of a break from the recently ubiquitous "A-list" artists (IMO) like Sutton and Graham.  Colon is singled out for his work here, though--and I do always like to see a couple of new guys in the issue too, just to sample something fresh.

I'm curious why the Index would call this "the return" of Wally Wood, though; since VAMPIRELLA #9 was dated January 1971 and this CREEPY is dated March 1971.  I guess they just mean his return to CREEPY, and not to Warren in general?

Sorry I'm late, holidays got in the way a bit.

Creepy #38 thoughts:  A charming little bats and axe murderer piece.  For some reason, I keep wanting to assign this to Corben, not Kelly... I think it's the eyes.

Loathsome Lore:  Clif Jackson seems to have about 8 credits at the GCD, all but one for Warren, all but one of those single pages.  This first page seems pretty solid, at least.

Wooden Cross:  Nothing earth shattering, but a solid opener with nice art by Buckler.

The Vengeance of the Hanged:  Again, a solid story with nothing much to actually say about it.

Sticks and Stones to Break their Bones:  Stu Schwartzburg's only full story for Warren, although he had some cartoons in Help! earlier.  Most of his work seems to be in humor books like Crazy, Cracked, and Not Brand Echh.  This story has a horror/ humor mix that feels like it could have fit well in DC's Plop!.  A decent short filler.

The Way Home:  A solid story, but the art by Royer doesn't really work for me... it looks like he drew a super clean cut protagonist and then added stubble in every panel.

Sleepwalker:  I think this is Gerry Conway's first Warren story, he only does a handful for Warren but has over 6000 writing credits as the GCD.  Even with lots of reprints, that's impressive.  Royer's art job is spectacular here, unlike his first story in the issue.

Secret of the Haunted Room:  Ernie Colon is another of the artists I never properly appreciated before the reading group started.  Just stunning work here.

The Cosmic All:  The issue goes out on an absolute stunner by Wally Wood.  It's not quite the classic "The Curse" was, but it's still extraordinary.

This is one of the best issues in quite a while, starting with several solid stories and ending with three absolutely amazing ones.  Maybe even a candidate for best issue we've seen yet.

Oh, I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it's worth nothing here, as well:  I now have all of the issues needed for the Reading Club, barring the already passed Eerie #1.

Creepy_038.jpg

On 1/3/2024 at 12:11 PM, OtherEric said:

For some reason, I keep wanting to assign this to Corben, not Kelly...

Yeah, it didn't really seem like a Kelly piece to me either.  I guess it's still pretty early in his career here.

Something I missed in my write-up on Creepy #38, Steve Leialoha has an illustration on the fan page.  Although he only does one story for Warren, in the early 80's, he's got thousands of credits at the GCD, mostly inking but with a lot of penciling as well.  Definitely worth mentioning.

Let's start with the cover and its associated story, "Secret of the Haunted Room," because that is the highlight of this issue--at least artistically.  I'm sorry I referred to Ernie Colon as a "B-list" artist in this week's introduction, as he is responsible for this artistic masterpiece that I just couldn't stop admiring.  The story is a little murky as to whether the gal in the haunted room was a ghost or a vampiress or a ghost of a vampiress, but my goodness, every page was a visual delight, combining photographs with simplistic line art in places and in other places producing art so good it looks like a photograph.

LinePhoto.JPG.e7ecb07362da6caddd3cd281d67d0b63.JPG

Eyes.JPG.0ddac90fae04b34ca50fed1714ed9293.JPG

Trees.JPG.e7de11d692d47e744260516ebaf7c269.JPG

I could go on and on with this one.  And then you turn a page and there is the cover--appearing almost exactly as it does on the front, seemingly out of place with the story until you read the rest of the page.  So maybe that's why the cover doesn't immediately make us think of Ken Kelly--because it's really a Kelly copy of Colon original panel!

Cover.JPG.2234a34f8dfba109dcacebc39d609935.JPG

The "Loathsome Lore" feature on Killer Plants probably would have been better if it had just stuck to featuring actual carnivorous plants (which typically feed on small insects), rather than suggesting that carnivorous plants threatened our ancestors at some point.  The writing and art by newcomer (?) Clif Jackson were credible, though.

The "Contents" page still has a 1970 copyright listed.

Again, the "Mail" and "Fan Club" features were connected, this time by the first appearance of new artist Gary Kaufman in the Fan Club, as well as his associated submission letter on the Mail page.  There was also a lot of praise for "On the Wings of a Bird" from CREEPY #36, a long letter pining for the old (original) artists, and one of the more "feral" signatures in a long time, from Wilbur Bearsheart of Porcupine, SD.  The single long story presented in the Fan Club section was one of the better fan stories in recent memory, although that's not a high bar to clear.

And that brings us back to the stories...

"Wooden Cross" was ok, although I'm not sure it was the strongest choice to lead off the issue.  I kind of had trouble keeping the characters straight--all the men looked very similar to me.

I would put "Revenge of the Hanged" in the same category; it's ok, but really just a capable re-telling of several similar "wronged dead put the perpetrator on trial" stories; a familiar story with new clothing.

"Sticks and Stones to Break Their Bones" is this issue's clunker.  Unless I'm reading it wrong, the big twist is that we've already been through a weapon-purging cycle, and we're only just now back to catapults as the cutting edge of military technology.  Yet earlier on in the story, the protagonist is easily able to recognize "modern weapons," "the M-1," a "dogfight" between "two jet planes," and an "atomic explosion" in the background.  If all memory of these weapons has been erased, and none of them have been re-invented yet, HOW WOULD HE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE???  Sheesh, one of the biggest facepalms yet in any Warren, ever.

"The Way Home" turned a corner for the rest of the issue, delivering an interesting psychological horror piece that immerses us in the protagonist's madness as his tragedy unfolds.

"Sleepwalker" opened with an amazing double-page spread centerfold, and added a few other engaging panels in the telling of another largely psychological horror piece that happens to also involve a couple of actual monsters.

Dreams.thumb.JPG.fa59d41daf0d46155e6ee4175fa9a673.JPG

And finally, Wally Wood's follow-up to his VAMPIRELLA #9 masterpiece, "The Cosmic All."  I think I was a little too distracted by some of the pseudo-scientific gobbledygook and non-sequiturs at the beginning of the story ("nothing but bones" on this planet, but there's no sign of animal life?) to call this one another "masterpiece" by Wood, but the overall concept is a good one, and the story is engaging and thoughtful, so it's really another very good offering from Wood, despite my pedantic quibbles.  At least the story itself doesn't make the same error as the Contents page, which says that the story takes the reader "four light years into the future," turning a light year into a measure of time instead of distance.

So overall I don't think I liked this issue as much as @OtherEric did, but outside of "Sticks and Stones" it ranges from competent to excellent, with the Colon art on "Haunted Room" being among the best we've seen from Warren.

On 1/5/2024 at 3:37 PM, Axe Elf said:

So overall I don't think I liked this issue as much as @OtherEric did, but outside of "Sticks and Stones" it ranges from competent to excellent, with the Colon art on "Haunted Room" being among the best we've seen from Warren.

Well, even I had "Sticks and Stones" as the change of pace filler, reading it as a comedy piece for being so ridiculous.

I realize I want to clarify my comment about this being a candidate for best issue:  I really don't think it is the actual best, just that it's earned a place as an also ran in the discussion.  Since he's not writing many stories, we're not really noticing Goodwin's editing that much.  But I think he's been doing a very impressive job balancing the issues.  You could argue that the issue could have started with one of the stronger stories, but putting the weakest one in the middle and ending with two very strong pieces leaving you wanting the next issue is going a long way to improving the overall reaction one has to the book.

And I really don't want to mark "The Cosmic All" down too much for not being quite as good as "The Curse".  I'm not sure "The Curse" would make my list of 100 all time greatest comic stories if I ever tried to sit down and create such a list... but it's one that I would easily nod and agree with if it turned up on somebody else's all time list.  It's probably my choice for favorite story first published by Warren based on what I've actually read so far.  (If I had to include stories that Warren reprinted, I would probably put "Plaster of Paris" over "The Curse", but we won't get to that one for a long time yet.)

EERIE #32 - March 1971

EERIE32F.thumb.jpg.867908fec12857d545fa31e088e2b56d.jpg

32. cover: Richard Corben & [in insert] Tom Sutton (Mar. 1971)   [Sutton’s art is from an interior story]

1) Eerie’s Monster Gallery: The Creature From…Beyond Ultima Thule! [Clif Jackson] 1p   [frontis]

2) Superhero! [Steve Skeates/Tom Sutton] 6p

3) The Warning Of The Hawk! [Gardner Fox/Clif Jackson & Syd Shores] 6p

4) The Wailing Tower [Larry Herndon/Frank Bolle] 7p

5) Bookworm [Gerry Conway/Richard Corben] 7p

6) I Fell For You [John Wolley/Jack Sparling] 7p

7) Eerie Fanfare: The Misunderstanding/Reversal/Ain’t It Not Funky Now Brother/Your Last Child Is Leaving [Clayton Fox, Michael Carlisle, Craig Hill & Ken Haubrock/Kevin Schaffer, Craig Hill, Steve Leialoha & Robert Monahan] 2p   [text stories/poems]

8) Soul Power! [Don Glut/Mike Royer] 6p

9) Ice World [Bill DuBay/William Barry] 7p   [art miscredited to DuBay]

Notes: While a mainstay nowadays of such comics as Astro City, Steve Skeates’ ‘Superhero!’ was the first comic story to link up a night time Batman-like superhero with the vampire mythos.  Pretty good story, too.  Best story and art goes to the Conway/Corben ‘Bookworm’.  Steve Leialoha made his second appearance on a fan page, along with an odd editorial announcement {that was not written by Leialoha} to the effect that he was ready to work for any comic publisher that wants him.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Welcome to our first issue of 2024!

While I'm pretty sure I've never heard of "The Creature from... Beyond Ultima Thule!" before, building my anticipation for this issue's Monster Gallery higher than usual, the big draw appears to be our second helping of Richard Corben, both on the cover, and with the Index's pick for the best art inside the book as well.  It's not one of my favorite covers, but then I tend to dislike inserts and borders and "busy" covers in favor of greater focus on the art itself.

I was kind of hoping that the "Superhero!" would be another recurring character for Sutton--in addition to his Vampirella duties--but I'm thinking this sounds more like a one-shot story about a (vampiric?) superhero rather than the origin of an ongoing character.

Here's to another year of the best horror comics ever printed.  I'm glad I'm still here, and I'm glad you are too!