• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Reading Club!
7 7

1,212 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Vampirella #16

April 1972

From the Warren Magazine Index:

16. cover: Manuel Sanjulian (Apr. 1972) 

1) Vampi’s Feary Tales: The Gray Women [Jan Strnad/Rafael Auraleon] 1p  [frontis] 

2) Vampirella: …And Be A Bride Of Chaos [Archie Goodwin/Jose Gonzalez] 22p 

3) Purification [Nebot] 3p 

4) Gorilla My Dreams [Gus St. Anthony/Esteban Maroto] 6p 

5) Girl On The Red Asteroid [Don Glut/Bill DuBay] 6p

6) Lover! [Pat Boyette] 6p 

7) Vampi’s Flames: Jose Gonzlaez Profile/Vampire/Another Night Shot/Spectral Vengeance 

[J. R. Cochran, Clint Banks, Mary Lou Jurina & Gurn Lee/Jose Gonzalez, Tom Blackshear, Charles L. Pauly & Lloyd Fukuki] 1p   [text article/stories]

8) How Our Artists See Themselves… [J. R. Cochran/Bill DuBay, Dave Cockrum, Richard Corben, Jerry Grandenetti & Billy Graham] 1p [Self-portraits]

9) Cilia [Nicola Cuti/Felix Mas] 7p 

Notes: Another sub-standard issue, with only Pat Boyette’s tasty ‘Lover!’ rising to the level of a quality story.  Future comic writer David Michelinie sent in a letter.  Goodwin’s decent script for Vampirella was again brought low by inappropriate and awkward art.  In fact, Gonzalez’ artwork on this issue’s fan page was considerably better than what he was producing for the Vampirella strip at this point.  The lame Dracula appearing in Vampi’s story claims to be the same Dracula from the Goodwin/Crandall story ‘The Coffin Of Dracula’ from Creepy #8 & 9 and, thus, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, but he looked and acted nothing like the ‘Coffin’ Dracula.  He’s short, paunchy and looks a bit like an aged Italian count.  According to J.R.Cochran, in a 1974 letter to the fanzine Canar #21-22 (May-June 1974), the feature page effort ‘How Our Artists See Themselves’ was the cause for the departure of editor Billy Graham when Jim Warren strongly objected to the appearance of the finished page, which had been based on a layout Warren himself suggested. 

——————————————————

Posting this one a bit early as maybe we could have some extra people interested this week. Saddened by the loss of Axe Elf but determined to go on, this issue looks to be a good read despite the indexers view. He/she sure had a dislike for Gonzalez and apparently nothing but a Chris Lee or Lugosi Dracula would fit the bill for these stories! We shall see…

Vampirella16.thumb.jpg.8d54a3585141832f0c6c5b92e5e07334.jpg

Edited by Jayman

On 6/9/2024 at 12:43 AM, OtherEric said:

although the tone of the story is undercut somewhat by the silly intro and outro with Vampi as host, which really doesn't fit the story at all.

While we are on topic of Cilia, I forgot to address your observation of Vampi’s comic comments. I agree that it takes away the overall tone of the story. It was even touted as “one of the most beautiful  horror stories ever told” on the cover! So why undercut it? The answer may be in the letter columns of this issue where I read a response from a fan accusing the mag of turning quickly from horror to romance stories. The editorial response was a question to the readers asking if they thought that true. Perhaps Vampi was a last minute editorial inclusion to add some levity to that mushy love story. It still works against the story but that may have been the reason.

On 6/11/2024 at 12:58 AM, OtherEric said:

I can never hear Cecilia without cracking up.  And it's all Paul Simon's fault, actually.  The first time I saw him perform live, he reached the line "I got up to wash my face/ When I come back to bed someone's taken my place.  I said "Cecilia"..." only instead of following it with the normal line of "You're breaking my heart..." he instead went "I said Cecilia, What the F***?"

He very quickly sang the line again, correctly, but the whole audience was laughing pretty hard for a few seconds.

Had that song in my head all night last night. (thumbsu

EERIE # 39- April 1972

From the Warren Magazines Index:

cover: Ken Kelly (Apr. 1972)

1) Eerie’s Monster Gallery: The Mysterious Men In Black! [Doug Moench/Richard Bassford] 1p [frontis]

2) Head Shop [Don Glut/Jose Bea] 6p

3) Just Passing Through [Steve Skeates/Rafael Auraleon] 8p

4) The Disenfranchised [J. R. Cochran/Tom Sutton] 10p

5) Dax The Warrior [Esteban Maroto & ?/Esteban Maroto] 8p   [story credited solely to Maroto]

6) Yesterday Is The Day Before Tomorrow [Doug Moench/Dave Cockrum] 7p

7) Eerie Fanfare: Pity The Stranger/House For Sale/The Coming Of Apollo/Welcoming Committee [Greg Balke, Roy Decker, Gary Henry & Marcus Octavious/Steve Monsanto

& Jody Clay] 2p   [text stories]

8) Ortaa! [Kevin Pagan/Jaime Brocal] 8p

Notes: Another fine Ken Kelly Cover!  The best story & art was easily J. R. Cochran & Tom Sutton’s ‘The Disenfranchised!’  Maroto’s Dax character began an eleven chapter run in Eerie.  These stories had originally been published in Europe a couple of years earlier.  For this Warren run, the stories were translated and rewritten by American writers, none of whom were credited.  Apparently, each scripter got only one story to adapt so the quality of the scripts would range from quite good to so-so. 

Looking forward to this one quite a bit, with the first installment of Dax I believe we finally enter the era of Eerie being rather heavily driven by relatively short-run serial characters.  It's a major shift that I think is what ultimately gives Eerie its own reputation and character, rather than being the book that shows up months when Creepy doesn't.  Up to this point, while we could point at small differences and some notable stories, it seems like having two titles was mostly geared to having the books stay on the shelf longer by splitting the content between two titles.

Eerie_039.jpg

On 6/16/2024 at 8:53 AM, Jayman said:

I don’t have this issue and I’m not finding any links to an online resource. :frustrated:

A tough one to find in high grade, that's for sure. I've always liked this cover, and the story is pretty wild, too. And while the Dax debut is good, "Head Shop" is the story I really remember from this issue. For me, an above average effort...

On 6/16/2024 at 1:18 PM, The Lions Den said:

A tough one to find in high grade, that's for sure. I've always liked this cover, and the story is pretty wild, too. And while the Dax debut is good, "Head Shop" is the story I really remember from this issue. For me, an above average effort...

I’ve been pointed to a resource. I just finished reading and will be posting a review soon. I agree that Head Shop was entertaining. (thumbsu

Eerie #39

This was an issue I didn’t have and had to read online. UGH! Not my thing at all, having to zoom in and back out to read and see all the details I want to look at was tiresome to me. It felt very constraining, but on to the issue. A nice moody cover by Kelly that gave the character a furry look with an almost reptilian face. I was surprised to find that the character was just a human in the story.

Eerie’s Monster Gallery: The Mysterious Men In Black

Another fairly recent phenomena being covered. I really like that they do this and not just dig up old monster legends that most of us already know about.

IMG_3612.jpeg.3df3a258ebd26159f0b4d5b6c4c55a8c.jpeg

1 Head Shop

A pretty basic story that was done well IMO. It was short and sweet and got right to the point (of the axe)! Bea’s art can be mesmerizing at times.

IMG_3599.jpeg.d898e0ef92c906cc8b8542279c03457f.jpeg

2 Just Passing Through

An ambiguous story of a man or god passing through our realm. Not really horror or sci-fi but a fantasy that had a Gulliver’s Travels feel to it. I’d personally like to imagine it to be the character from the 50’s movie “The Incredible Shrinking Man” after he has shrunk down to a sub-atomic size. He then passes through even smaller worlds within worlds.

IMG_3611.jpeg.2c50f484f1435a0803c34a8cb01632a3.jpeg

3 The Disenfranchised

The cover story. Other than being disappointed that this guy wasn’t a furry reptilian faced monster, the story was just ok for me. The boy loosing his mind seeing his family and neighbors being forced out of their homes comes across well but the shock reveal of his hand at the end didn’t really add anything to the story for me. Sutton’s depiction of the character did remind me a bit of Evil Ernie though.

IMG_3600.thumb.jpeg.15e22a2ad111129861749e7b673e8c06.jpeg

4 Dax The Warrior

Interesting that these Maroto stories were published in Europe years earlier. Being translated and rewritten makes me wonder how different these are from the originals. Dax seems to have a similar attitude to Conan with regard to not caring if one is a human, god or demon. If you get in his way, he’s gonna brawl! Nice art and I’m interested enough to see where the storyline goes.

IMG_3613.jpeg.de21b4900c98d3254ef2130c0c0ade37.jpeg

5 Yesterday Is The Day Before Tomorrow

Wouldn’t today be the day before tomorrow? But I digress. A pretty good time travel story that does have its plot holes. He could have changed his name again or have been better prepared for when he arrived in the future since he knew exactly when he would arrive. Even Cousin Eerie questions a plot hole at the end. I liked the inclusion of the Barsoomian Thark too!

IMG_3601.jpeg.81b95551e14b3a1268faec52ce3d1367.jpeg

6 Ortaa!

Any story that has ancient Aztecs, reincarnation and a giant heart-octopus gets my attention. I liked this one more than I thought I would and the ending made sense too.

IMG_3614.jpeg.52add34e57b76b661481d9a1ea0dcd75.jpeg

Overall I’d give this issue a grade of “C”. Head Shop being my favorite.

On 6/17/2024 at 9:30 PM, Jayman said:

I’d personally like to imagine it to be the character from the 50’s movie “The Incredible Shrinking Man” after he has shrunk down to a sub-atomic size. He then passes through even smaller worlds within worlds.

One of my favorite movies when I was growing up and I wish they'd show it more often...  (worship)

On 6/18/2024 at 8:38 AM, The Lions Den said:

One of my favorite movies when I was growing up and I wish they'd show it more often...  (worship)

Mine too! One of the best things about it was how the ending was not grim, but almost promised hope for a continued existence no matter how small he got. Would have been great if they ever followed it up with his adventures in a sub atomic universe. Hence why this story reminded me of the movie.

On 6/18/2024 at 8:48 AM, Jayman said:

Mine too! One of the best things about it was how the ending was not grim, but almost promised hope for a continued existence no matter how small he got. Would have been great if they ever followed it up with his adventures in a sub atomic universe. Hence why this story reminded me of the movie.

A great ending which almost didn't happen due to a difference of opinion. And Richard Matheson's first screenplay, as I recall...

On 6/16/2024 at 1:27 AM, OtherEric said:

EERIE # 39- April 1972

From the Warren Magazines Index:

cover: Ken Kelly (Apr. 1972)

1) Eerie’s Monster Gallery: The Mysterious Men In Black! [Doug Moench/Richard Bassford] 1p [frontis]

2) Head Shop [Don Glut/Jose Bea] 6p

3) Just Passing Through [Steve Skeates/Rafael Auraleon] 8p

4) The Disenfranchised [J. R. Cochran/Tom Sutton] 10p

5) Dax The Warrior [Esteban Maroto & ?/Esteban Maroto] 8p   [story credited solely to Maroto]

6) Yesterday Is The Day Before Tomorrow [Doug Moench/Dave Cockrum] 7p

7) Eerie Fanfare: Pity The Stranger/House For Sale/The Coming Of Apollo/Welcoming Committee [Greg Balke, Roy Decker, Gary Henry & Marcus Octavious/Steve Monsanto

& Jody Clay] 2p   [text stories]

8) Ortaa! [Kevin Pagan/Jaime Brocal] 8p

Notes: Another fine Ken Kelly Cover!  The best story & art was easily J. R. Cochran & Tom Sutton’s ‘The Disenfranchised!’  Maroto’s Dax character began an eleven chapter run in Eerie.  These stories had originally been published in Europe a couple of years earlier.  For this Warren run, the stories were translated and rewritten by American writers, none of whom were credited.  Apparently, each scripter got only one story to adapt so the quality of the scripts would range from quite good to so-so. 

Looking forward to this one quite a bit, with the first installment of Dax I believe we finally enter the era of Eerie being rather heavily driven by relatively short-run serial characters.  It's a major shift that I think is what ultimately gives Eerie its own reputation and character, rather than being the book that shows up months when Creepy doesn't.  Up to this point, while we could point at small differences and some notable stories, it seems like having two titles was mostly geared to having the books stay on the shelf longer by splitting the content between two titles.

Eerie_039.jpg

Great cover artwork

On 6/18/2024 at 10:12 AM, The Lions Den said:

A great ending which almost didn't happen due to a difference of opinion. And Richard Matheson's first screenplay, as I recall...

Just learned about this:

Matheson scripted a sequel, titled The Fantastic Little Girl. The film has Louise Carey certain that Scott is still alive. She returns home and finds herself shrinking and is injected with a new cure. The script also featured Scott in his microscopic world where he encounters strange eel-like creatures.

Too bad this never went further than the script. :cry: