• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wave along spine from reading
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have several comics that look 9.0-9.4-ish, but have a wave along the spine from reading.  How much does that bring down the grade?  I realize this is probably correctible with a press.  I can post pics later, but noticed a pic in the PGM board that reflected this very thing: https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/506404-pgm-wolverine-8/

I suspect these comics have a slight to moderate stacking curl.  A stacking curl is not caused by handling/reading; rather, it develops as a result of incorrect storage.  Comic books are slightly thicker along the spine than along the opposite/unbound edge.  When several books are stacked with their spines aligned, the difference in height between the spine side and open edge side will rapidly become noticeable to even an untrained eye.  This difference in height/thickness eventually allows/causes the books to develop the curl you're seeing now.

Stacking the books with alternating (rather than aligned) spines may help a bit, but the stack will still be taller/thicker along outside edges than it is half-way between 'em.  Storing your books in Mylar sleeves with stiff backing boards will all but eliminate the development of an eventual curl.  Some folks claim that comics should be stored vertically rather than flat in stacks.  I've stored books in stacks for more than 50 years now, with absolutely no ill effects.  Hey, if it was good enough for Edgar Church, it's good enough for me!  :preach:

Stack-1.thumb.jpg.75361c894a933a4228e54ba69ff7d0d3.jpg

I'll allow other boardies to respond to your grade deduction question.  :foryou: 

There is not going to be a black and white answer to this, there are too many variables to consider and of course the higher the overall grade the more of a hit the book will take.

I do not have my books pressed, however, from what I have read, spine roll/stacking curl is easily corrected with a press on newer books, older books due to the quality of paper used (newsprint) may not fair as well.

I do not know CGC's stance on this, however, for me, a Slight stacking curl could be present on a NM- 9.2 taking all other defects (or lack of defects) into consideration.

1)What is the overall grade of the book?

2)How severe is the spine roll/stacking curl, is it a slight roll, do the front and rear covers still align properly, are there any fanned pages, has it become an actual crease, did color break anywhere along the spine roll/stacking curl?

From the grading standards, and as you can see, a lot is up to individual perception. ("Is Flat", "Almost Flat", "Relatively Flat")

NM- 9.2 - Gem MT 10.0 - Cover is flat with no surface wear.

VF/NM 9.0 - . Cover is almost flat with almost imperceptible wear. 

VF 8.0 - Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show

FN/VF 7.0 - An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal.

FN 6.0 - An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects.

Thanks for the replies, that is helpful.  I didn't even think of that being caused by stacking.  I assumed it was when the cover and pages were turned back when reading.  Makes sense.  As far as grading, looks like I shouldn't grade a comic with a curl any better than 9.0, and that is assuming it doesn't have other defects.