• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's WICKED THE MUSICAL two-part film (2024, 2025)

8 posts in this topic

The release dates for the upcoming musical Wicked are pushed back to Christmas 2024 and 2025. Based on the extremely popular musical of the same name, Wicked chronicles the journey of unlikely friendship Glinda and Elphaba, who later become mortal enemies as Glinda the Good Witch and The Wicked Witch of the West in the classic story of The Wizard of Oz. The original 2003 Broadway production was nominated for 10 Tony Awards, including Best Musical, and won six including Best Actress for Idina Menzel for her role as Elphaba, as well as Costume and Scenic design.

Jon M. Chu will direct Wicked, following his critically-acclaimed musical In the Heights, a story originally written by Lin Manuel Miranda inspired by his life growing up in the Washington Heights neighborhood in New York. The Color Purple's Tony Award-winning actor Cynthia Erivo was cast as Elphaba and Grammy award-winning singer Ariana Grande has been cast as Glinda. Original cast member Menzel praised the casting decision while Chu later shared that Grande's compelling audition brought him to tears.

It kind of ticks me off they split this into two films.  Absolutely no reason except a money grab, and there is not - in point of fact - enough story to justify two movies.  Unless, maybe, they're like 90 minutes each, which I suspect they will not be. The whole Broadway show is just 2.5 hours.  

If they could do Les Mis (very well, I might add) in one film, they could definitely do this.   

So the small, petty, part of me wants it to bomb just for that.  Kind of like that stupid 3rd Divergence film.