• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valuation/Investment Question
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I’m looking to purchase some original art. Romita Sr is what I’m most interested in. I love published pages and prelim art/pages. 

What do you guys think about long term value of non-published art such as prelims? Or even really nice sketches or cover recreations? For long term value is it best to stick with published art?

Thanks!!

Nathan

On 4/27/2022 at 6:23 PM, grapeape said:

Talk to Mike Burkey Romitaman for Romita Sr. if in particular Spider-Man is your focus, but interior pages are costly now Amazing Spider-Man page on the low end just sold $45k in April Heritage Auction.

non published and prelims do offer value but it depends. The better the detail + importance of piece is what will make it “valuable.”

Same for sketches.

For investment (financial) going after Romita Sr. you may find some non Spider-Man opportunities. But everything from Spidey Super Stories to 3 panel newspaper strips can go for $10k +

Cover recreations as investment I’m not a big believer in. There are exceptions, like the large sized John Buscema Surfer 4 recreation cover that’s going to sell for 💰 💰 💰 in the June HA.

sketches I think over time might generate up to double (or more) your initial purchase price.... depending on quality of character(s) art and detail.

Get in slowly 💰 Those in business to make 💰 can talk you into anything. Do a lot of research and ask many questions. A lot of knowledge here on the board.

good luck

🍇 🦍 

Thanks!!